Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    I try to stay right below the speed limit or just barely over on the interstate.

My dad classifies it as "too fast," but I think that's mainly him being worried; he generally goes over the limit everywhere unless he has an appointment to get to, at which point he decides to only drive at about 50% of the posted limit.

I went to Orlando several years ago with some friends, carpool, and I was only allowed to drive for about an hour because I was "too slow" for doing 75 on the interstate. We swapped drivers and I never saw the speedometer drop below 95, and actually saw it climb up to nearly 110 a few times. We made even better time on the return trip, but I was a little too nervous to glance over at the speedometer by then; kinda thought I would feel safer if I didn't know.

I usually only drive about 5mph over the speed limit on city roads, and roughly 7-8MPH over the speed limit on the express way.

My reasoning is due to cruise control. You can't really turn on cruise control on a city road, and it's incredibly easy to drift over your speed limit due to hills or whatever. I just play it safe. On back roads where the speed limit is 55MPH I'll still generally only go 60 due to big hills.

I've gotten one speeding ticket, but it was due to me going 15MPH over the speed limit because I was running late for work. I pass cops all the time on a 65MPH expressway going 73MPH and I have yet to be pulled over.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Osoroshii View Post
    I try to stay right below the speed limit or just barely over on the interstate.

My dad classifies it as "too fast," but I think that's mainly him being worried; he generally goes over the limit everywhere unless he has an appointment to get to, at which point he decides to only drive at about 50% of the posted limit.

I went to Orlando several years ago with some friends, carpool, and I was only allowed to drive for about an hour because I was "too slow" for doing 75 on the interstate. We swapped drivers and I never saw the speedometer drop below 95, and actually saw it climb up to nearly 110 a few times. We made even better time on the return trip, but I was a little too nervous to glance over at the speedometer by then; kinda thought I would feel safer if I didn't know.
    W...what? I don't know if you got the order backwards on your dad or not. 75 would certainly be too slow on the interstate here, that's the speed limit, and everyone (semis included) would be passing you.

Quote Originally Posted by Zafire View Post
    I usually only drive about 5mph over the speed limit on city roads, and roughly 7-8MPH over the speed limit on the express way.

My reasoning is due to cruise control. You can't really turn on cruise control on a city road, and it's incredibly easy to drift over your speed limit due to hills or whatever. I just play it safe. On back roads where the speed limit is 55MPH I'll still generally only go 60 due to big hills.

I've gotten one speeding ticket, but it was due to me going 15MPH over the speed limit because I was running late for work. I pass cops all the time on a 65MPH expressway going 73MPH and I have yet to be pulled over.
    My cruise control doesn't drift up or down on hills. It stays pretty much where I set it.

I got a $250 speeding ticket for doing 69 in a 65. I always go the speed limit. Edit: Minnesota. VERY high tickets.

The speed limit is a nice guide but I don't really follow that to the letter. When I'm driving I like to constantly create space so I'll go whatever speed is necessary to have people in front of me and behind me get further away from me. It's usually a range of speed that is the speed limit +/- 5 (non highway) and 10 (highway)

10+ Year Old Account
    Absolutely depends on the context of weather conditions, traffic, area, time and etc. In a town, I'll sit at the limit which is usually 30. On Dual carriageway or motorway, I tend to sit at 70 with cruise control on and speeding up when necessary to over take slower traffic.

If I feel like having a bit of fun, I'll happily cruise at 100 If I feel there isn't any marked or unmarked police about and the conditions are safe to do so.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by degias View Post
    I got a $250 speeding ticket for doing 69 in a 65. I always go the speed limit. Edit: Minnesota. VERY high tickets.
    I'd defer that in a heartbeat. Or straight go to court for that. 4mph over is stupidly easy to get out of. My state gave me one, and the cop didn't even show up because he knew there was no way to defend it. 4mph is way under speedometer variance.

Edit: You should always choose the "court" option, because you can still just pay it if you end up not having time, but it doesn't enter a guilty plea unless you go in and actually plead guilty.
    Last edited by Annoying; 2015-01-13 at 11:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    City/village SPOT ON SPEED LIMIT never more never less. Well more if someone starts racing with me from lights i never start tho :P
    Motorway usually 90 to 95 above that you end up in court.

For proper blast I take my car for tack days as its more of an track than road car anyway LOL
    Geme smtn 2 kielllllll.