Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Gaming Monitor - What should I look for?

Hello everyone.

First of all, I have a pretty decent rig and I'm happy with it. Currently, I own a Samsung SyncMaster P2370H (or something in between, I'm not at home at the moment). Well, I know that it's a full HD monitor with 2ms response time and something around 80.000:1 contrast. I use DVI output instead of HDMI.

I was happy for a while, but I had to test a friend's monitor on my computer and DAMN that looked awesome. It seemed more colorful and even seemed like I had "higher FPS" (using the same computer I use everyday). The image was smoother, I don't know how to explain. The only difference I noticed is that his monitor was LED (mine is LCD). I don't remember the monitor model so I can't compare.

I really wish to buy a new monitor around 23' (monitor only, I don't care for TV bundled). I don't mind about the price (but I won't pay an absurd price too).

Any suggestions? Also could anyone explain why the new monitor seemed so smooth? Maybe it was the frequency? I don't know.

Thanks!

It might have been a monitor with a higher refresh rate. 120hz and 144hz monitors seem "smoother" than 60hz monitors.
    :::: AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d w/ NZXT Kraken Elite 240
    :::: MSI Meg X670E Tomahawk
    :::: 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 6000mt/s CL36 DDR5
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
    :::: Windows 11 Pro

I just saw a Phillips one: 242G5DJEB PHILIPS
    http://www.amazon.com/Philips-242G5D...0?tag=gdext-20

Is this a good deal?

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you have a budget in particular?

The Philips one is a pretty meh monitor.
    http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test...242g5djeb.html

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Do you have a budget in particular?

The Philips one is a pretty meh monitor.
    http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test...242g5djeb.html
    Not really. I'm accepting suggestion. I just want to avoid 3D monitors because for some reason they're all super overpriced in my country.

10+ Year Old Account
    The ones I'd suggest are BenQ XL2430T or Eizo FG2421 for high Hz panels that are out atm. BenQ XL2420Z also works.

The ones I'd suggest are BenQ XL2430T or Eizo FG2421 for high Hz panels that are out atm. BenQ XL2420Z also works.
    These models are quite overpriced in my country. I'm not into money problems but the prices seems to be high (at amazon I found them very affordable, but they won't ship it).

Like I said, I'm no expert, do you mind elaborating why the Philips one is "meh"? I found a few other models aswell, taking my options.

Thanks

10+ Year Old Account
    A bit undercovered sRGB gamut, which is quite rare for a lot of desktop monitors. Usually it's not something to note. 86% is quite low, usually it'd be 92%+
    Poor factory set up.
    Can't be calibrated.
    Low Hz PWM. Not something that affects everyone but something to note still.
    Mediocre uniformity.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2015-01-14 at 03:14 AM.

A bit undercovered sRGB gamut, which is quite rare for a lot of desktop monitors. Usually it's not something to note. 86% is quite low, usually it'd be 92%+
    Poor factory set up.
    Can't be calibrated.
    Low Hz PWM. Not something that affects everyone but something to note still.
    Mediocre uniformity.
    I see. Most of this information is new to me. BenQ XL2430T is about 60% more expensive than this Phillips model (which is already not cheap here) and Eizo is not even available. Would you suggest another model(s)?

Thanks again for the patience

EDIT: I also tried to understand sRGB and PWM practical differences. Read a lot, but I can't imagine what this will impact into the monitor display to me. If you have examples.. thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Coverage in general is how much of the sRGB range the monitor can cover. It directly affects image quality. In an ideal world, when viewing sRGB content you'd have a perfect 100% match up, no over coverage (over saturation) or under coverage.

PWM depends on person. It has it's uses and is needed for better color stability at lower light level due to how LEDs work and not receiving enough power. What occurs with PWM though is what is called flickering. As I said though, it depends on people and doesn't affect everyone. Now if the frequency of the PWM is too low you'd start seeing artifacts.

Do you have a site you can post that you're buying from? XL2420T has a bit lesser features, and an older set up. It's a decent high Hz monitor but it is out of production as far as I know as they've been replaced. Not sure if you'd find it but it should be way cheaper.

Coverage in general is how much of the sRGB range the monitor can cover. It directly affects image quality. In an ideal world, when viewing sRGB content you'd have a perfect 100% match up, no over coverage (over saturation) or under coverage.

PWM depends on person. It has it's uses and is needed for better color stability at lower light level due to how LEDs work and not receiving enough power. What occurs with PWM though is what is called flickering. As I said though, it depends on people and doesn't affect everyone. Now if the frequency of the PWM is too low you'd start seeing artifacts.

Do you have a site you can post that you're buying from? XL2420T has a bit lesser features, and an older set up. It's a decent high Hz monitor but it is out of production as far as I know as they've been replaced. Not sure if you'd find it but it should be way cheaper.
    I always check Amazon/eBay for reference (I can't buy from Amazon but that gives me a price idea, however I might buy from eBay if they ship overseas). I'm currently in Brazil so I can't provide you one website (I just google dozen stores and check prices, they vary a LOT here and most don't even have specific models).

Something up to US$400 would be ok for me, but the problem is that local stores usually throw this price 2-4 times higher. Hell, I might even buy it overseas, I don't know. BUt I need to narrow down one model first.

Thanks again.

Where in Brazil do you live ? I live in Rio and amazon will ship the XL2430T to me, but as always they'll charge all the taxes in advance so the price quickly jumps from $396.99 to $908.03, so that probably puts it over your budget.
    Last edited by Sobedesce; 2015-01-14 at 01:25 PM.

Asus VG248QE with Nvidia kit for the G-Sync. Best gaming monitor, there aren't any debate or discussions.

I'm using Asus 24" LED VG248QE and am really happy with it. 144hz refresh, 1ms response, very good for fps games or other fast paced games.

Quote Originally Posted by Sobedesce View Post
    Where in Brazil do you live ? I live in Rio and amazon will ship the XL2430T to me, but as always they'll charge all the taxes in advance so the price quickly jumps from $396.99 to $908.03, so that probably puts it over your budget.
    WTF :s
    That is all

Quote Originally Posted by Sobedesce View Post
    With BRL going downhill I can buy a new rig with US$ 908.03 :/. Sao Paulo btw.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The G-Man View Post
    I'm using Asus 24" LED VG248QE and am really happy with it. 144hz refresh, 1ms response, very good for fps games or other fast paced games.
    The Phillips I linked has a very close spec compared to VG248QE (at least from what I'm seeing). Also it has 72% color saturation, in which Remilia said is not that good. If both have the same specs I would go for Phillips, it's way cheaper down here. Both 1ms 144Hz, LED, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by alessandrouw View Post
    With BRL going downhill I can buy a new rig with US$ 908.03 :/. Sao Paulo btw.

- - - Updated - - -

The Phillips I linked has a very close spec compared to VG248QE (at least from what I'm seeing). Also it has 72% color saturation, in which Remilia said is not that good. If both have the same specs I would go for Phillips, it's way cheaper down here. Both 1ms 144Hz, LED, etc.
    Ask yourself why product A with same specs is considerably cheaper than product B. Brand can be a part of answer, fame, but there is more to it.

Quote Originally Posted by lloose View Post
    It might have been a monitor with a higher refresh rate. 120hz and 144hz monitors seem "smoother" than 60hz monitors.
    It's a little disingenious of you to say "seem smoother" when it's been noted that it is smoother due to higher polling and additional interjected frames.

I can tell you right now that my 110hz 1440p overclocked monitor is most definitely smoother than my 60hz 1080p monitor. So really, don't provide slanted explanations, it's unfair.

If you have the power, 120/144hz is the way to go. You've seen it work on TV's. It works on gaming monitors as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vykos00 View Post
    Asus VG248QE with Nvidia kit for the G-Sync. Best gaming monitor, there aren't any debate or discussions.
    I will debate this.

New 1440p TN panel GSync monitor from ACER.

Rekt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The G-Man View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vykos00 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alessandrouw View Post
    The VG248QE has worse uniformity and suffer the exact same problems that Philip's one has. Only good thing about it really is that it's cheap. Otherwise it's a monitor I wouldn't recommend.

The VG248QE has worse uniformity and suffer the exact same problems that Philip's one has. Only good thing about it really is that it's cheap. Otherwise it's a monitor I wouldn't recommend.
    Would you recommend another model with a budget close to these ones?

Phillips and Asus models are a quite cheap, but for me it's not that cheap. To think I'll spend this money and still not getting something worth of it...