Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    In terms of high Hz panels, those are the two cheapest ones =\
    They're not what I'd recommend but if it's something you really want then it's you're choice. Your taxes are insane.

Quote Originally Posted by alessandrouw View Post
    Would you recommend another model with a budget close to these ones?

Phillips and Asus models are a quite cheap, but for me it's not that cheap. To think I'll spend this money and still not getting something worth of it...
    What are you going to use the screen for mainly? Games or movies?
    If games, what games are you going to play, and what kind of games do you usually play? I'm going to copy/paste some panel types.

Twisted nematic (TN)
    The main advantages of TN panels are their fast -- usually 2ms (or less) -- response time and their low price. Their major disadvantages are narrow viewing angles, relatively low brightness, and inaccurate color reproduction.

Vertical alignment (VA)
    VAs have better viewing angles than TNs, better color reproduction, and typically a much higher maximum brightness. Also, they tend to have the lowest black levels of the four major panel technologies. Unfortunately, a VA panel's response time and input lag are not quite as fast as a TN panel's, and monitors using them can cost anywhere from $400 to $800, and sometimes more depending on the panel's size. Also, you can expect a VA-based monitor's profile to be wider than a TN's.

In-plane switching (IPS)
    IPS-based monitors are usually the most expensive; however, monitors using e-IPS panels can cost as little as $150 (for a 22-inch monitor). They also tie with PLS for the best viewing angles of all the technologies and produce the most accurate colors; however, their blacks are not as deep as VA panels'. IPS monitors are the slowest of the bunch in both response time and input lag.

And as I've said, I prefer TN panels for most forms of gaming. Smooth fluid screen > colors, in my opinion. You can get quite nice colors with the Asus as well, if you adjust it yourself.

10+ Year Old Account
    2ms gtg is generally a quoted figure that doesn't occur in practice. Usually it's taking the quickest transition at the highest level of overdrive / RTC.

I am not sure how you got VAs (and their variants) to cost $400-800...
    The modern AMVAs, mostly produced by AUO, and some by Samsung cost about as much as IPS panels.
    A cheap $200 one that I can remember off the top of my head is the BenQ GW2760HS or Dell S2440L.

IPS monitors are the slowest of the bunch in both response time and input lag.
    VAs are the slowest pixel response and input lag is separate from any panel type. VG278HE for example has a signal process of 15ms while a U2414H's signal process is practically non existent.
    VAs' pixel response early on in LCD's life time were the quickest of all 3, but later on as TN panels and IPS(and variants) started to go down lower but VAs panel remain a bit stuck at around 10ms for the majority while IPS are in practice around 8ms and TNs around 4ms. Although the new panels coming from Sharp and TP Vision though have managed to push it down to 6.9-7.5ms rate.

- - - Updated - - -

As for color reproduction, that's different from panel type. The main thing that affects the color gamut is the type of backlighting it uses.
    Generally the most configurable is CCFL.
    CCFLs can configure from 72-102% NTSC color range.
    W-LED covers around 68-72% NTSC or around the sRGB color range. Sometimes higher of around 80%.
    GB / RB LED covers around 102% NTSC or about the Adobe RGB color range.
    RGB LED covers about 114% or higher.
    1st one is dying out and the latter 2 are generally professional monitors.

These can be used for any panel type, as an old TN panel actually has a wider gamut range than sRGB using CCFLs.
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles...anel_parts.htm 22" section.

Color accuracy has a bit of a difference. After calibration they can all display the exact same thing but:
    TNs have worse because of color shifts from the viewing angle, which is why they're not used for it.
    VAs have something called off center contrast shift, where things will appear black on dark content rather than the actual content.
    IPSs have IPS glow seen when viewed at an angle but that can be lowered or removed by an A-TW polarizer.

Why IPS are used is because it's more consistent.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2015-01-15 at 08:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    2ms gtg is generally a quoted figure that doesn't occur in practice. Usually it's taking the quickest transition at the highest level of overdrive / RTC.

I am not sure how you got VAs (and their variants) to cost $400-800...
    The modern AMVAs, mostly produced by AUO, and some by Samsung cost about as much as IPS panels.
    A cheap $200 one that I can remember off the top of my head is the BenQ GW2760HS or Dell S2440L.

As I said, a copy paste, I do not know the US prices and just left that in there. As the price in Brazil seems to be very different it didn't feel relevant for OP either way.

I'm using for gaming. I play a lot of games, hard to tell a specific one, but yeah, gaming, gaming and gaming. Of course I do watch some shows, but it's very minor. I want it to be 24' maximum, I have currently a 23' and I think it's big enough (bigger in this case would be bad for me, I don't want to use a TV as a monitor, if you know what I mean). I work with IT and I feel like a grampa reading you guys, I had no idea monitors had THAT many details to look into.

What I do know for sure is that I need a good frequency with minor imput lag (1ms, 144hz). I don't want to lose other aspects but as you guys have figured, my country sucks relating to taxes and a "cheap" $400 monitor could be 3 months of my rent. I can afford that, but I don't really want to.

Currently what fits into my budget are the Phillips one, someone also mentioned VG248QE that's a little expensive but that's ok. Please understand that today I use a Syncmaster P2370 in which must sound like a farmer monitor to you guys (lol). Thanks for all the feedback and I'm still watching. I might buy it at the end of this month or just save and fly to US and bring one of those badasses.

EDIT: Remilia, I found a XL2420Z for a "reasonable" price. It's around US$ 150 more expensive than the 242G5DJEB (for me, ofc). I could not find local retailers selling XL2430T or the Eizo model.

Minor, unrelated EDIT: What is best to use, DVI, HDMI or Displayport? I use currently DVI because HDMI seems blurry (probably software related, but I was lazy to figure it out).
    Last edited by alessandrouw; 2015-01-15 at 09:41 PM.

I'm using for gaming. I play a lot of games, hard to tell a specific one, but yeah, gaming, gaming and gaming. Of course I do watch some shows, but it's very minor. I want it to be 24' maximum, I have currently a 23' and I think it's big enough (bigger in this case would be bad for me, I don't want to use a TV as a monitor, if you know what I mean). I work with IT and I feel like a grampa reading you guys, I had no idea monitors had THAT many details to look into.

What I do know for sure is that I need a good frequency with minor imput lag (1ms, 144hz). I don't want to lose other aspects but as you guys have figured, my country sucks relating to taxes and a "cheap" $400 monitor could be 3 months of my rent. I can afford that, but I don't really want to.

Currently what fits into my budget are the Phillips one, someone also mentioned VG248QE that's a little expensive but that's ok. Please understand that today I use a Syncmaster P2370 in which must sound like a farmer monitor to you guys (lol). Thanks for all the feedback and I'm still watching. I might buy it at the end of this month or just save and fly to US and bring one of those badasses.

EDIT: Remilia, I found a XL2420Z for a "reasonable" price. It's around US$ 150 more expensive than the 242G5DJEB (for me, ofc). I could not find local retailers selling XL2430T or the Eizo model.

Minor, unrelated EDIT: What is best to use, DVI, HDMI or Displayport? I use currently DVI because HDMI seems blurry (probably software related, but I was lazy to figure it out).
    You will need DisplayPort or dual-link DVI (DVI-D) to benefit from 144hz refresh rate.

Also, between the BenQ XL2420Z and Asus VG248QE they are very equal, and both brands are good. Pick the cheaper one in my opinion.
    The Philips one could be alright as well, I see it got 4.4/5 from buyers from Amazon, but just 29 people rated. So take a chance for the cheapest Philips, or go with either BenQ or Asus.
    Last edited by Knslyr; 2015-01-15 at 10:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    HDMI 1.4 works. Practically any port will work for 1920x1080@144Hz. Any higher resolution you need DisplayPort. You'd be hardpressed to find any GPU and high Hz monitor not supporting HDMI 1.4 at this point.

HDMI 1.4 works. Practically any port will work for 1920x1080@144Hz. Any higher resolution you need DisplayPort. You'd be hardpressed to find any GPU and high Hz monitor not supporting HDMI 1.4 at this point.
    You can't run 144hz@1080p resolution with an HDMI. HDMI 1.4b can run 120hz@1080p. HDMI 2.0 can run 60hz@4k.
    And for gaming monitors I don't think its that rare for them to lack support for latest hdmi.

So, basically I might need to buy a new cable aswell? My HDMI is 1.4 if I recall (can't check it now) and I don't remember if my DVI cable is dual. For reference, I got a Radeon HD 6950 (or 6970, I can't recall right now and I can't check). From what I understand, DisplayPort is the best one to go? If so, I'll buy this cable, at least this one is not expensive.

EDIT: About the monitors, let me round down what I found and prices (I'll put in US$ based on my currency for easier understanding)

Asus VG248QE: ~US$ 566
    BenQ XL2420Z: ~US$ 529
    Philips 242G5DJEB: ~US$ 355

Just to have an idea, my currency right now is 1/3 of a dollar, so a $200 increase is considerable. Phillips is much cheaper than Asus and BenQ. I just want to decide wheter investing an extra $200 (BRL 600) will be worth my while.

Again, thank you all for the help
    Last edited by alessandrouw; 2015-01-16 at 12:59 PM.

So, basically I might need to buy a new cable aswell? My HDMI is 1.4 if I recall (can't check it now) and I don't remember if my DVI cable is dual. For reference, I got a Radeon HD 6950 (or 6970, I can't recall right now and I can't check). From what I understand, DisplayPort is the best one to go? If so, I'll buy this cable, at least this one is not expensive.

EDIT: About the monitors, let me round down what I found and prices (I'll put in US$ based on my currency for easier understanding)

Just to have an idea, my currency right now is 1/3 of a dollar, so a $200 increase is considerable. Phillips is much cheaper than Asus and BenQ. I just want to decide wheter investing an extra $200 (BRL 600) will be worth my while.

The screens should come with a cable with them I think, usually a DVI-D.
    Both DVI-D and DisplayPort will work without problems.

Both the 6950 and 6970 got the ports for all 3 cables.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, about the screens. Since the price difference is so large, I'll put my vote for the Philips.
    I don't think the Asus or BenQ are worth $200 extra.
    Last edited by Knslyr; 2015-01-16 at 01:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The G-Man View Post
    You can't run 144hz@1080p resolution with an HDMI. HDMI 1.4b can run 120hz@1080p. HDMI 2.0 can run 60hz@4k.
    And for gaming monitors I don't think its that rare for them to lack support for latest hdmi.
    Just checked again and yeah, 120Hz, my bad.
    monitors, let me round down what I found and prices (I'll put in US$ based on my currency for easier understanding)

Yeah, I don't know how you want to count it. Personally I would get XL2420Z but it seems like a huge different in pricing and I don't know how much you'd consider it to be worth it.

Just checked again and yeah, 120Hz, my bad.

Yeah, I don't know how you want to count it. Personally I would get XL2420Z but it seems like a huge different in pricing and I don't know how much you'd consider it to be worth it.
    Do you mind explaining, like I was 5, what is the difference from XL2420Z and 242G5DJEB? I mean, you explained it with a lot of technical details, but I can't picture it. Are the colors worse, for instance? I don't know... If it's just a MINOR difference I won't buy XL2420Z but if it's something like "that monitor's image surely looks better than this piece of crap I bought" I'll drown in remorse forever. You said the difference sometimes can't be even noticed by some people. But I just want to be sure.

Thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you mind explaining, like I was 5, what is the difference from XL2420Z and 242G5DJEB? I mean, you explained it with a lot of technical details, but I can't picture it. Are the colors worse, for instance? I don't know... If it's just a MINOR difference I won't buy XL2420Z but if it's something like "that monitor's image surely looks better than this piece of crap I bought" I'll drown in remorse forever. You said the difference sometimes can't be even noticed by some people. But I just want to be sure.

Thanks.
    For the Philips one the default set up is extremely cold, at 8300K~ as opposed to the usual 6500K white point. Basically white will be pretty bluish and other colors would have that hint. For your current monitor, you can probably just set down your red by about 20~ and green about 14~ and you'd get the idea. More detailed calibration you can't do just by the monitor settings.
    BenQ one also has it's own fault but it's a lot more fixable and has a lot more features.
    https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/benq-xl2420z/
    You can download the ICC and have a pretty good set up.
    https://pcmonitors.info/icc/BenQ%20XL2420Z%20144Hz.icm
    https://pcmonitors.info/articles/usi...es-in-windows/

The issue (personally speaking) with a lot of gaming monitor is their first set on a gaming set up out of factory. What that means is that the settings are set so the gamma is either set up a lot lower, or a lot higher than the 'proper' gamma curve.

Yes some things aren't really noticeable to users, especially when you don't have two monitors side by side comparison with a good and bad set up.
    XL2430T has a better overall set up which is why I suggested that first.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2015-01-16 at 07:41 PM.

ASUS VG248QE or the BenQ's work best.

For the Philips one the default set up is extremely cold, at 8300K~ as opposed to the usual 6500K white point. Basically white will be pretty bluish and other colors would have that hint. For your current monitor, you can probably just set down your red by about 20~ and green about 14~ and you'd get the idea. More detailed calibration you can't do just by the monitor settings.
    BenQ one also has it's own fault but it's a lot more fixable and has a lot more features.

The issue (personally speaking) with a lot of gaming monitor is their first set on a gaming set up out of factory. What that means is that the settings are set so the gamma is either set up a lot lower, or a lot higher than the 'proper' gamma curve.

Yes some things aren't really noticeable to users, especially when you don't have two monitors side by side comparison with a good and bad set up.
    XL2430T has a better overall set up which is why I suggested that first.
    Well, can I fix these blueish colors with settings/profiles with Phillips? Also, I'm probably going with Phillips because of the pricetag. It comes bundled with HDMI so I'll be getting myself a DisplayPort cable. I'm just curious if I should get both ends as "minis" since my VGA has only the Mini and 242G5DJEB seems to have both.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, can I fix these blueish colors with settings/profiles with Phillips? Also, I'm probably going with Phillips because of the pricetag. It comes bundled with HDMI so I'll be getting myself a DisplayPort cable. I'm just curious if I should get both ends as "minis" since my VGA has only the Mini and 242G5DJEB seems to have both.
    Ideally you'd want a hardware calibration tool, but if you don't you can sort of just eye ball it. I don't usually recommend it because it's not accurate, but if you can just take something as pure white as you have, and put a white image for the entire screen, then adjust the colors so it matches.

Ideally you'd want a hardware calibration tool, but if you don't you can sort of just eye ball it. I don't usually recommend it because it's not accurate, but if you can just take something as pure white as you have, and put a white image for the entire screen, then adjust the colors so it matches.
    Sounds doable for me. I'll be purchasing the Phillips monitor soon. Thanks for all the feedback. I might post screenshots when done if you guys are interested

I took so long to buy it that I lost the deal :P

I found the BenQ XL2420Z for a pretty decent deal and I'm willing to go for it, since you recommended it previously. I never used this ICC but I assume it'll make a monitor profile using software only?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes it's software. Only the profile needs to be downloaded, everything else the OS already has.
    Read carefully what the monitor settings they use when applying the profile by the way.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2015-01-23 at 02:55 AM.

Response times are marketing gimmicks. The important value is input lag, which they don't advertise. You want a 120/144Hz monitor with as close to 0 input lag as possible, and good black contrasts. Generally over on the quake live forum you can get really good info on gaming monitors since they are so crucial to performance in high speed FPS games compared to WoW.