Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    See, I don't equate hearing it over a loudspeaker as being forced to follow Islam. Is it a problem that you are forced to acknowledge that Islam exists? I have spent a year in a country where it played 5 times a day, every day, somehow I am still not a Muslim, but I do know that other people are, and I am ok with that.

I am an atheist, but I have been in plenty of meetings, sporting events, public gatherings and social events where it was started or ended with a Christian prayer, so do you know what I did? I bowed my head slightly, and shut up until the prayer was done, and then resumed my enjoyment of the event. Because that is what decent human beings do, because that is how you respect other peoples beliefs even if you do not share them.
    Here in Ireland they play the angelus at 12 and 6 Pm over the main radio and television channel.
    It doesn't force you to pray or become Christian. It's simply a pause from the everyday struggles to remind you there's more in life than just work and money.
    I quite like that.
    I also enjoyed Muslims call to prayer for the similar reason. Very spiritual
    Having said that I don't think it would fit in a university. But that's just me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Does it matter if a bell is rung for someone else's imaginary friend instead of yours? People really just need to let their fairy tales die so humanity can advance a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    next question are we going to see the same atheist groups make a big stink over this as the do with anything Christian?
    As an atheist I would like to say Im not going to make a stink over it cause you're christian. I think all religions are equally stupid and a waste of time. One day you'll probably grow up and realize it too but until them i couldn't give less of a shit as to if a school wants to blare some prayer no matter what the religion is. -.- It seems to me YOU are the one making a big stink just like every christian does with anything not christian ; )

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelsdeath View Post
    Does it matter if a bell is rung for someone else's imaginary friend instead of yours? People really just need to let their fairy tales die so humanity can advance a little.
    Some of the most beautiful works were created / preserved because of religion. In that respect i think they shouldn't be abolished. Not to mention even if religion has been used for bad lately, theres more than enough people that use it to get out of crappy situations that I think its beneficial.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Niff View Post
    As an atheist I would like to say Im not going to make a stink over it cause you're christian. I think all religions are equally stupid and a waste of time. One day you'll probably grow up and realize it too but until them i couldn't give less of a shit as to if a school wants to blare some prayer no matter what the religion is. -.- It seems to me YOU are the one making a big stink just like every christian does with anything not christian ; )
    Do not! I mean if you are only exposed to Southern Baptists that might seem the case, but like my church (Presbyterian) is very very inclusive no matter the background, and no matter the religion (or lack of).

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post

Do not! I mean if you are only exposed to Southern Baptists that might seem the case, but like my church (Presbyterian) is very very inclusive no matter the background, and no matter the religion (or lack of).
    This is true, it's only the really uppity/ looking for money churches that yap like that in my experience. or the ones that believe more in converting then working on their own faith

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    This is true, it's only the really uppity/ looking for money churches that yap like that in my experience. or the ones that believe more in converting then working on their own faith
    Yeah, there are so many different sects, but I think most people just happen to experience the loudmouths that end up coming from the more severely conservative ones (or the mega churches).

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, when religion was the strongest power in the world, it commissioned some fantastic art. Compared to the harm it has caused, and continues to cause, some good art comes at a ridiculously disturbing cost. I don't think religion should be abolished, I just hope that people begin to realize that it's all complete BS. I also have more hope in humanity and can't believe that relying on a false idea is the the only thing that can help people get out of crappy situations . It may be beneficial for a select few, but the harm it does is felt by an exponentially higher number of people.

Deleted
    Not to mention even if religion has been used for bad lately, theres more than enough people that use it to get out of crappy situations that I think its beneficial.
    Lately in contrast to what?

Yeah, there are so many different sects, but I think most people just happen to experience the loudmouths that end up coming from the more severely conservative ones (or the mega churches).
    i've never been to a mega-church, but what i've read about them scares the shit out of me. how can you even have a church where sermons are in the THOUSANDS of people and expect anything other than a concert-level experience? ukk. but those also seem to be all about the money, so bark a lot to make sure attention focuses on them.. which, coincidentally, is what graham did in that article

Deleted
    Yes, when religion was the strongest power in the world, it commissioned some fantastic art. Compared to the harm it has caused, and continues to cause, some good art comes at a ridiculously disturbing cost. I don't think religion should be abolished, I just hope that people begin to realize that it's all complete BS. I also have more hope in humanity and can't believe that relying on a false idea is the the only thing that can help people get out of crappy situations . It may be beneficial for a select few, but the harm it does is felt by an exponentially higher number of people.
    There's more in religion than just paintings. Buuuut I'm afraid we're stepping into taboo topics

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    Lately in contrast to what?
    Well ok, continues to cause bad but the primary culprit has changed.

However, you cant even abolish people's beliefs, and a society that tries is doomed to fail unless it becomes oppressive.

Deleted
    However, you cant even abolish people's beliefs, and a society that tries is doomed to fail unless it becomes oppressive.
    If they make profit like companys they should get taxed as such.

If they want noise pollution say no.

10+ Year Old Account
    If they make profit like companys they should get taxed as such.
    Which happens primarily at the mega church and fundamentalist levels, but by no means is every church.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wasn't just talking about paintings. Art comes in many forms and I would say religion has inspired great works of all forms of art. Still, is it worth the misery it creates? And do you not think people would be inspired by other things in its absence?

Also, the fact that talking about it is a "taboo topic" is why it has persisted for so long. It will die soon enough. It better anyway, for humanity's sake.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wasn't just talking about paintings. Art comes in many forms and I would say religion has inspired great works of all forms of art. Still, is it worth the misery it creates? And do you not think people would be inspired by other things in its absence?

Also, the fact that talking about it is a "taboo topic" is why it has persisted for so long. It will die soon enough. It better anyway, for humanity's sake.
    If it dies naturally because of better education, that's fine. Trying to force it to die really only makes it grow instead.

but now this is getting into general religion talk which isnt really allowed here.

Deleted
    Which happens primarily at the mega church and fundamentalist levels, but by no means is every church.
    The catolics here are fathomless rich and decadent. All the main stream churchs are rich as fuck from what I know.

How can you not get rich by monopolising human carthasis?

If it dies naturally because of better education, that's fine. Trying to force it to die really only makes it grow instead.

but now this is getting into general religion talk which isnt really allowed here.
    Not really see the former GDR. Its about churches and prayers not religion per se.

Its on an organisational level and about the public display.

it's taboo because if it continues much longer discussing primarily religion and why it's bad/ good the thread gets locked because forum rules

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree and I believe it will die for the most part. It will go kicking and screaming though. It's already started.

10+ Year Old Account
    The catolics here are fathomless rich and decadent. All the main stream churchs are rich as fuck from what I know.

How can you not get rich by monopolising human carthasis?
    Well around here, even the major cathedral in my city makes just enough to pay the bills (includes staff and website stuff) and have missions for the youth and charity for the needy. The priest's salary comes form the national Presbyterian organization. Many of the smaller churches are the same way.Donations in themselves are not profit (because otherwise non profits would not exist), but how you use it can make it seem to be.

Deleted

I meant taboo in this forums. This thread would soon be closed methinks

I used the word "paintings" on purpose. It's not just art. "Religion" as a social structure helped humanity in times that would have been completely different without it. Not even talking about faith and spirituality which is we could say nearly innate in humankind.

I think you're giving religion way too much importance. What causes misery is power and greed. Always since the beginning of time.
    In my opinion at least.

- - - Updated - - -

More than "dieing" I think it evolves with education.