Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum

Do you disregard people who say they have a mental illness?

I guess I'm talking about online forums and such. Seems everyone has some sort of depression or mental illness and they just keep playing it up like they are special snowflakes and romanticizing the shit out of it.

Maybe i'm an asshole but i'm getting a bit tired of the whole thing.

I find myself more concerned when people constantly claim to not have a mental illness, when evidence would suggest otherwise.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    If its self diagnosed, generally yes.

I see plenty of people saying they have autism but acting completely normal, so I feel some are just trying to search for excuses.

As someone who actually has mental illness (read: fully diagnosed by a psychiatrist), I do initially give the benefit of the doubt, though I withdraw it if they: A. Use it as an excuse to say/do whatever they want, B. treat themselves like they're special (especially compared to other people with mental problems, people seem to forget that there's more than one mentally ill person in the world) or C. evidence arises that contradicts their diagnosis.

Mental Illness is a very VERY serious issue that people seem to want to throw around and use like its some sort of fashion statement to be depressed or overly anxious.

A little story that goes with this:

I was at an anime convention last year (a big mistake to go to if you want to avoid drama, I know). I was waiting at the elevator when a person, clearly of around adult age, 18-19 year old, was going crazy running around and yelling. Now, the elevators are in a bit of an alcove, so the sound kept echoing over and over. Congested spaces are already enough to make me anxious (I have G.A.D.) and the excessive, high energy noise in that congested space made things worse. Eventually the noise got to the point that I politely explained to the gentleman that sound bounces off walls in such a tight area and makes it much louder. He apologized and stopped.

Then, on the elevator, his friends decided to assault me for being rude and intolerant because he has mental health problems. Immediately noting the hypocrisy of their attitude, I promptly ignored them them and went on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Lots of them yes especially the assholes who claim to be bipolar and when I ask what they mean by it they give an example of something not related to being bipolar. Like when I worked in the DOC every inmate claims to be bipolar.

Deleted
    On the internet?

Kind of.

Unless I've spoken with them before and "know them" decently enough then no, otherwise, I'm kind of thinking it's tumblr V2.0...

This coming from a dude with clinical depression, GAD and agoraphobia.

All of which is being treated with medication whilst I'm undergoing CBT, it hasn't stopped me working nor has it stopped me finding relationships.

If anything it aggravates my level of shitposting a hundredfold (I get bored, like, a lot).

Tl;DR Everyone's a special triple rape suffering PTSD transkin sufferer on the internet.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    Lots of them yes especially the assholes who claim to be bipolar and when I ask what they mean by it they give an example of something not related to being bipolar. Like when I worked in the DOC every inmate claims to be bipolar.
    What's interesting is that whilst they may not suffer from bipolar exactly, Americas prison population has the highest concentration of mental health cases (Diagnosed and suspected) in the world (Per capita obviously).

Sure some are gaming for sympathy or whatnot but there's been quite a few papers on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    On the internet?

Tl;DR Everyone's a special triple rape suffering PTSD transkin sufferer on the internet.
    Excuse you, I also had a traumatic past involving the death of everyone i knew, don't exclude me

OT, online? Eh. Wary, but whatever, not going to fight you over it because it's unlikely we'll ever meet.

IRL? I'll believe you and not make comments to you disbelieving, but when you claim x illness then do y that refutes it you might get side-eye looks and a distancing (for instance, " i have epilepsy it's really bad all the time. but i drive it's okay").

10+ Year Old Account
    People who say they are have mental illness/depression? Everyone has /something/ wrong with them. And I have no problem with people venting a little about them. Be supportive to people who just need to talk about it.

People who try to act like they are special due to them? That much I turn my nose up at and get slightly annoyed with. Like I said, I have no issue with people talking about it, I just get slightly annoyed over people who want pity parties due to them.

Online? I don't take them seriously at all. At all.

15+ Year Old Account
    Depends on if it's self diagnosed or not.

I think that "you're getting sick of it" cause you hear more people talking about, since lately it's been more and more ok to "come out" with a mental illness. I personally love to hear about people's stories and anything they have, whether it's serious, real, both, or neither.

Everything is a disability nowadays. A former friend managed to milk the university in every way. His mental illness was "can't find the motivation to do homework". Ie. "I don't wanna", scumbag.

10+ Year Old Account
    In my opinion, many people exaggerate about their illness, if they have any at all. But to be honest, I don't really give a shit if you are mentally ill. I'm going to treat you like everyone else and hold you to the same expectations.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

I wonder sometimes how crazy I am, I would definitely attest myself a certain degree of degradation, but anyway some things are just obvious excuses. Some others are sadly not taken serious enough ... so I (mis)judge on a case by case basis, i guess?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Suffer the Consequences View Post
    I feel many people exaggerate about their illness, if they have any at all. But to be honest, I don't really give a shit if you are mentally ill. I'm going to treat you like everyone else and hold you to the same expectations.
    I ate that guys face 'cuz mental health issues.

Sorry

INB4 Electric chair b-but muh mental health.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    As someone who has dealt with ADHD his entire life, I give them the benefit of the doubt.

I fucking hate people that have something like I do that has to tell the entire world about it and makes excuses.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    Time to drink a beer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Having a sister who suffers from really bad PTSD from being molested as a child...yeah I'd say I won't disregard people who say they have a mental illness.

There are many people out there who truly have mental illnesses that people need to be aware of. Of course, there are those bogus people who say they have so-and-so phobia or OCD (which really, most people who say they have OCD don't have OCD) but PTSD? Depression? Anxiety? These are some issues people have to face and it is a living hell for them. Why can't people just consider being nice and kind to folk?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by istheshiz View Post
    Having a sister who suffers from really bad PTSD from being molested as a child...yeah I'd say I won't disregard people who say they have a mental illness.

There are many people out there who truly have mental illnesses that people need to be aware of. Of course, there are those bogus people who say they have so-and-so phobia or OCD (which really, most people who say they have OCD don't have OCD) but PTSD? Depression? Anxiety? These are some issues people have to face and it is a living hell for them. Why can't people just consider being nice and kind to folk?
    Thats the question.

I don't unless there's money involved in the way of a disability check or lawsuit. Money makes people do things they wouldn't otherwise and some mental illness is easy to fake.

I'm sure each of us has struggled with our minds at one point at least enough to know mental illness is a real thing.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland