Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida

Not one for conspiracy theories but this is straight of of 1984

Apparently intersection cameras weren't enough, now they want to spy on random people for suspicious activities. They currently have 25 cameras on Biscayne, but they want to expand it to several cities within the County.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...le6521466.html

To those that can't read the link Miami-Dade wants to place camera's all over Miami to stop terrorist attacks and reduce crime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

Meh, if it works. Maybe doesn't prevent it, but if it helps catch fuckers. Why not.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

I hate to tell you this, but the City of Pittsburgh has had cameras all over downtown (and in most other districts) for years now. Some are privately owned, but all are accessible by law-enforcement authorities and most are owned and operated by the city. This is not a new thing, and I'm somewhat dumbfounded to see it being reported as such, but, oh well, now you know.

EDIT: I just remembered also, that last spring, a pair of bald eagles made their home right near one camera, so the city pointed another one at their nest as they incubated and eventually as the hatchlings emerged. We even had a livestream on local news networks' websites. Maybe not the most relevant point to the topic at hand, but a fun anecdote nonetheless.
    Last edited by ORCSMASH; 2015-01-15 at 08:14 PM.

If the cameras are in a public place who cares? There's no expectation of privacy there so you can be filmed anyway
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

10+ Year Old Account
    Though the system has the capacity for 2,500 cameras, Orosa hopes to eventually get 250 up and running in high-crime areas, at tourist destinations and near government buildings that could be targeted by terrorists. Homeland Security funds will cover half the cost. Three city agencies — the Community Redevelopment Agency, the Downtown Development Authority and the Bayfront Park Management Trust — are expected to pay for the rest.
    Sounds more like they're trying to cover mostly high-crime areas and government buildings. They're not trying to look inside your house.

uhm wat?... I thought almost every city in the world had this by now

10+ Year Old Account
    Your "news" could really come right out of the actual year 1984. Most cities have that for years already.

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't have a right to privacy in public areas. Besides, I enjoy being filmed when I masturbate at bus stops. Intensifies my arousal.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

10+ Year Old Account
    guess I focused too much on this quote “Pretty much, if he turns that around I can see who he’s calling,” said Marty Garcia, the point person behind the city’s $700,000 plan to make virtual policing a real-time endeavor in Miami.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Meh, if it works. Maybe doesn't prevent it, but if it helps catch fuckers. Why not.
    insert Benjamin Franklin quote

10+ Year Old Account
    I really get a kick out of people who complain about this shit. Ask yourself one very simple question:

Do I do ANYTHING AT ALL that Big Brother is worried about?

If the answer is no, shut the fuck up. Seriously. Do they collect every piece of data that ends up going through phone lines or the internet? Yes. Do you REALLY THINK they have the manpower to go through even 1% of that information in a YEAR? No fucking way. They aren't interested in you having a bad day, getting a break-up email, or telling your mother you love her. They are after specific targets. If you don't fit one of those targets, you have absolutely ZERO to worry about.

If this kind of thing worries you, and you answered no to the above question, you have watched FAR too many movies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    Promptly ignore out of context 250 year old ramblings.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    insert correct Benjamin Franklin quote

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    I really get a kick out of people who complain about this shit. Ask yourself one very simple question:

Do I do ANYTHING AT ALL that Big Brother is worried about?

If the answer is no, shut the fuck up. Seriously. Do they collect every piece of data that ends up going through phone lines or the internet? Yes. Do you REALLY THINK they have the manpower to go through even 1% of that information in a YEAR? No fucking way. They aren't interested in you having a bad day, getting a break-up email, or telling your mother you love her. They are after specific targets. If you don't fit one of those targets, you have absolutely ZERO to worry about.

If this kind of thing worries you, and you answered no to the above question, you have watched FAR too many movies.
    Yes I plan to start a revolution to end the police State and I cant do that when they are watching me write paper notes in the street cause the phonelines and the internet are bugged :S
    Last edited by Vizardlorde; 2015-01-15 at 08:31 PM.

Insert some barely topical snide comment deliberately intended to make people shake their heads in disgust or embarrassment.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    guess I focused too much on this quote “Pretty much, if he turns that around I can see who he’s calling,” said Marty Garcia, the point person behind the city’s $700,000 plan to make virtual policing a real-time endeavor in Miami.
    It's a little like "Woah, hang on"

But you've seen pictures of "regular" CCTV stuff right. It's grainy as fuck and you can't make anything out on it. pretty much a hood or a hat is all you need to protect yourself against such things because chances are even if you slip up and expose your face sometime, the shot won't be good enough to ID you really. I know if like, my own father appeared on such a video on crimestoppers I wouldn't be able to call and say "yep, I know who that is"

If you can get a really clear high res image of the person though it's much easier. Not to mention all the other little details. Even if someone is wearing a mask, if you call a number and they can see that number, then they can find the provider for that number, see who called them at that time, and then find the person who made the call. If it's in a public place, particularly a high crime area, I don't see the problem. I'd rather that than get mugged.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes I plan to start a revolution to end the police State and I cant do that when they are watching me write paper notes in the street cause the lines are bugged :S
    Think about it this way.

Suppose you want your revolution. What can the police do about it?

You have a right to organise peaceful protests and so on. They cannot stop you doing that.
    If you are organising firebombings of government buildings in protest, then yes they can stop you doing that. And that is a crime so they absolutley should, your point is invalid if you have to break the law to make it.

Now, suppose it's full on V for Vendetta, black bag you for even talking about making a peaceful protest kind of stuff... and the police see you trying to organise it and arrest you and lock you away without trial... Scary right?

But think about the two scenarios:

1) A peaceful protest happens against the police. Many show up. It's reported on the local news for a day.
    2) Police kidnap an innocent civilian for trying to organise a peaceful protest against them, and hold them indefinitely without trial. The media have a feeding frenzy over it.

Which of these two scenarios is likely to garner more public support for your cause?

If they black bag you and take you away for organising a peaceful protest against them, you should be thanking them for all their help.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe I overreacted, but I hope they use it properly to go after actual criminals and not random "suspicious" people like me. ( was stopped and questioned 3 blocks from my house cause I was walking suspiciously...)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Insert some barely topical snide comment deliberately intended to make people shake their heads in disgust or embarrassment.
    You're late.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Deleted
    Wait your cities aren't covered in CCTV? London says hi.

Deleted
    Maybe I overreacted, but I hope they use it properly to go after actual criminals and not random "suspicious" people like me. ( was stopped and questioned 3 blocks from my house cause I was walking suspiciously...)
    That must have been awful. I'm sorry you had to go through that ordeal.