Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

Pope: "If a friend says bad things about my mother , I can give a punch, is normal."

In with the new, worst the old?!

If a friend "says a swear word against my mother, then a punch awaits him," Francis said. Vatican Radio reported that he then "gestured with a pretend punch" directed at the friend, Alberto Gasbarri -- an action that many journalists interpreted as a joke.
    CNN article with video of the Pope's talk: http://edition.cnn.com/2015/01/14/as...sit/index.html

Deleted
    Fuck the pope.
    And his mother.

Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    Fuck the pope.
    When he says things like this, yes, I agree.

And the worst quote from the pope was this.
    "You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others."
    Last edited by Merkava; 2015-01-16 at 10:44 AM.

The Pope was a bouncer and he would probably do it. And he would be right to.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Merkava View Post

It's good that he doesn't get to decide this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Reading the entire article and the context, pretty sure it was just an example of one should be responsible with their speech, rather than actually advocating violence for an insult.

I disagree with a journalist censoring themselves, but Im not gonna go "fuck the pope" edge level 9000 because I feel he does a lot more good than inadvertant bad.
    Last edited by Crissi; 2015-01-16 at 10:49 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Reading the entire article and the context, pretty sure it was just an example of one must be responsible with their speech, rather than actually advocating violence for an insult.
    This pretty much. I don't believe he would have said it just like that.

Typical lower class talk. It's probably one of the most common jokes around here when looking for fake "beef" with others to question if you insulted their mothern or something like that. I never really got the need to be offended about something like that, kind of shows the unreflected idiocity to take such a pathetic insult serious and mostly stems from the inflated ego-honor bs some guys have ...

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Reading the entire article and the context, pretty sure it was just an example of one must be responsible with their speech, rather than actually advocating violence for an insult.
    No, that's not correct. The pope is saying that there are limits to free speech. That making fun of religion is off limits.

Edit - And worse than that, he appears to be saying, "expect retaliation if you criticize religion."
    Last edited by Merkava; 2015-01-16 at 10:55 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Outside ORG sending your children down the mines.
    This Pope is the best thing to have happened to the Church in a long long long time!
    I love his statement the other week accepting evolution and claiming "god is not a magician with a magic wand who can perform miracles" something along those lines... It's about time! Finally a pope with his feet firmly on the ground and his head not in the clouds.

No doubt this caused an uproar...

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh man; someone making a joke! Alert the presses!
    You're a towel.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, that's not correct. The pope is saying that there are limits to free speech. That making fun of religion is off limits.
    I was referring to the quote in the OP, as the OP seems to only care about that part.

If he meant the other quote it as satire is never ok, that I disagree with. If he meant it as we shouldn't demonize other faiths, I'm ok with that. I frankly dislike being preached to by atheists and being told my religion is wrong. Mutual respect goes a long way to healing wounds, and tearing them further open like that does nothing to help problems.

The thread title is horribly misleading. And you should always respect other people's religion. It's just common decency and civilised way of things.

Also, when the pope made that remark, he was clearly speaking in a general context. Even without the Vatican spokesman clarifying that the Pope didn't endorse violence at all, it was clear that he meant if you insult someone (or his mum, or his religion), you should realistically expect a reaction, likely a violent one. Not everyone is as patient as the Pope.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah the typical American media making a mountain out of a molehill.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Deleted
    Good thing the pope doesn't decide what can be said and what can't.

If anything can and should be made fun of, it's something that makes claims for itself as ridiculous as religion does. Honestly believing in the thoughts inside the head of a dead, schizophrenic potential child killer IS funny, after all.

Deleted
    Such an amazing difference in cultures, in many south American countries insulting someones mother seriously will warrant the same reaction, heck i'd punch someone aswell if he'd insult my mother.

The fact that people are suprised about this boggles my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    The thread title is horribly misleading. And you should always respect other people's religion. It's just common decency and civilised way of things.

Also, when the pope made that remark, he was clearly speaking in a general context. Even without the Vatican spokesman clarifying that the Pope didn't endorse violence at all, it was clear that he meant if you insult someone (or his mum, or his religion), you should realistically expect a reaction, likely a violent one. Not everyone is as patient as the Pope.
    No, you shouldn't always respect other people's religion. That's a ridiculous statement. You should respect whatever the fuck you want to respect.

And your second paragraph merely restates my position; which was that the pope is not only proposing that criticizing religion is off limits, but he's saying expect retaliation when you do it. It's despicable and cowardly. Fuck him.

Edit - And worse than that, he appears to be saying, "expect retaliation if you criticize religion."
    There are limits to free speech, something many internet dwellers never seem to grasp. Some of them are ideological, ie. you can say whatever you like until you interfere with other civil rights, like insulting someone's mum. And some of them are, well, practical... like if you insulted my mum, you'd find a fist firmly planted into your face with astonishing force. You can complain that I'm restricting your free speech, that's fine. But that's not going to change the causal effect your free speech has on the redecoration of your nose.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    There are limits to free speech, something many internet dwellers never seem to grasp. Some of them are ideological, ie. you can say whatever you like until you interfere with other civil rights, like insulting someone's mum. And some of them are, well, practical... like if you insulted my mum, you'd find a fist firmly planted into your face with astonishing force. You can complain that I'm restricting your free speech, that's fine. But that's not going to change the causal effect your free speech has on the redecoration of your nose.
    What you'll actually do: nothing.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

No, you shouldn't always respect other people's religion. That's a ridiculous statement. You should respect whatever the fuck you want to respect.

And your second paragraph merely restates my position; which was that the pope is not only proposing that criticizing religion is off limits, but he's saying expect retaliation when you do it. It's despicable and cowardly. Fuck him.
    You should always respect everyone and everyone's religion unless you have actual reasons to not respect them. Does that sound better?

Just to make it clear, whatever happened with muslim radicals does not in any way constitute a reason to start disrespecting Islam as a religion. I quite like the Pope's stance on this. It's in line with the modern catholicism dogma to interact with other religions rather than confront them (violently) as they have done in the past.