The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Any Chess Players here?

Got into the game a lot last semester. I'm even trying to develop a strat called "blitz" that emphasizes ruining defensive formations before pieces are optimized. This kind of play as i've noticed hinges on people making mistakes when face with pressure on their better pieces.

I haven't been able to win a whole lot at the game. I can beat people online and halfway decent players on campus, but when I go to Chess club, i'm like the Oakland Raiders when I play the better members.

Any tips for how to improve? It seems that once I make one mistake or overlook one thing, it all goes downhill from there.

Quote Originally Posted by THE Phenomenal BIGZOMAN View Post
    Any tips for how to improve? It seems that once I make one mistake or overlook one thing, it all goes downhill from there.
    Chunking, flexibility, focus, practice, ask.

Chunking: essentially, recognizing different board states, not focusing on individual pieces, but on groups of pieces, both your own and your opponent's.

Flexibility: different people play differently. Playing aggressively might work against some but not others. Change up your style sometimes.

Focus: don't overlook that thing. :P

Practice: competitive chess is like anything else. Play at least a few times per week.

Ask: when you lose, ask your opponent what you did wrong. If these are seriously good chess players, they might even remember the board state and show you.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

To be honest, your "blitzing strat" sounds like you are trying to rediscover the fool's gambit.

In your current experience level, I'd suggest more learning about proven strategies and why they work rather than attempting to create your own.

I used to be really, really good. Or so I thought. I'd beaten the smartest people I knew, then got trucked by a 12 year old. Never touched it after that moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    I used to be really, really good. Or so I thought. I'd beaten the smartest people I knew, then got trucked by a 12 year old. Never touched it after that moment.
    Not gonna lie, I thought about trolling you for losing to a 12 year old, but your signature is epic so I'll pass. That's funny stuff, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Odekahn View Post
    To be honest, your "blitzing strat" sounds like you are trying to rediscover the fool's gambit.

In your current experience level, I'd suggest more learning about proven strategies and why they work rather than attempting to create your own.
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, learn the common openings. Then learn how to end.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love playing Chess.

Been playing Chess with Friend's against my Girlfriend. She likes the game, but never took it seriously, so i'm currently teaching her how to always be 5 steps ahead. She has a bad habit of not thinking of the consequences of her actions, leaving herself open for obvious counter attacks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, learn the common openings. Then learn how to end.
    I usually open with either my kings pawn, or my left knight. I don't know actual opening methods, but these usually give me a dynamic opening that I can modify pending on my opponents actions.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    I usually open with either my kings pawn, or my left knight. I don't know actual opening methods, but these usually give me a dynamic opening that I can modify pending on my opponents actions.
    What's the one where you open so that your bishops and knights are covering the middle four squares? I usually do that against people I haven't played against.

10+ Year Old Account
    i'm really rusty but i do like to play chess. don't really have anyone to play it with.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Phenomenal BIGZOMAN View Post
    Play a lot.

Apparantly its not about how many steps ahead you can think, the key of being a grandmaster in chess is playing a lot of chess.

I like playing it btw, but I'm rubbish at it, I'll often get mad before the game even ends

10+ Year Old Account
    What's the one where you open so that your bishops and knights are covering the middle four squares? I usually do that against people I haven't played against.
    I really don't know the names sadly.

http://s133.photobucket.com/user/Fiz...Chess.png.html

These are my typical starters.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    Play a lot.

Apparantly its not about how many steps ahead you can think, the key of being a grandmaster in chess is playing a lot of chess.

I like playing it btw, but I'm rubbish at it, I'll often get mad before the game even ends
    I wouldn't dismiss the method of thinking 5 steps ahead. It is a really good way of keeping track of the board. And keeping track of how your opponent plays.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    Play a lot.

It's really not about thinking ahead. I think I read somewhere that master Chess players typically only look ahead 2-3 moves, and those are flexible depending on what the opponent does.

Not a lot, at an old job it was a favourite game during breaks and downtimes, mostly cuz there was one dude there who was like 70 and was pretty good at it and enjoyed tooling all us young whipper snappers at it. But one time, I beat him in like 3 moves...I don't even know what the damn strategy is called, but it basically involved positioning a knight into the open, moving my bishop's pawn, and moving the bishop in line with his trapped king...check fucking mate you old bastard...but it all hinged on him moving the pawn in front of his queen first.

Minds were fucking blown that day.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Not a lot, at an old job it was a favourite game during breaks and downtimes, mostly cuz there was one dude there who was like 70 and was pretty good at it and enjoyed tooling all us young whipper snappers at it. But one time, I beat him in like 3 moves...I don't even know what the damn strategy is called, but it basically involved positioning a knight into the open, moving my bishop's pawn, and moving the bishop in line with his trapped king...check fucking mate you old bastard...but it all hinged on him moving the pawn in front of his queen first.

Minds were fucking blown that day.
    lol, that one isn't a strategy. It's a tactic. He opened up the diagonal to his king, you responded, he didn't notice, you won. Guessing you were playing black?

lol, that one isn't a strategy. It's a tactic. He opened up the diagonal to his king, you responded, he didn't notice, you won. Guessing you were playing black?
    I don't even remember, I know he let me go first though. It just kinda worked, I had no idea ahead of time that it was apparently a "thing"...it just, made sense. I've done it to lesser players with 2 moves. Move E2 to E4, try and goad them into playing F7 to F5, then just move Queen from D1 to H5. Usually only works once though lol, and usually results in them not wanting to play any more.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    If you liked playing it, losing to a 12 year old should not be a deterrent to continue playing it. Kids that have been playing it from the start, and who learn things a lot quicker than older people have an advantage with things like this.

For instance, I am learning to play classical guitar, and I have seen 8 year olds who are already playing it at a masters level.
    I was better at video games when I was 15 than I am now. Too much free time.

Checkmate in 3 moves is possible as while as well

OT: Play a lot
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Just because Mannoroth and Archimonde are involved doesn't mean it's Legion. They could just be on vacation, demolishing Draenor to build their new summer home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Did you know that salt has sodium and chlorine in it!!!! Sodium explodes when exposed to atmosphere and you clean your toilets with chlorine!!

Quote Originally Posted by zoomgpally View Post
    3 Moves? that's too much. Shah mat in 2 moves is possible.

About topic, I am not even an intermediate chess player but as far as I know, most "defensive formations" in chess is quite offensive. What kind of defensive formation you are talking about?

To get better, you need to do a couple of things:

1) Know what you're doing and why you're doing it.
    Start by learning common endgames - it's easier with fewer pieces on the board. Know how to guard pawns and use the remaining piece you have.
    Next, pick a few common openings and learn them and variations of them until you're comfortable. In the first couple of moves, you can make useless moves which waste time, or outright bad moves that weaken you.
    Third, learn the common tactical moves (forks, discovered attacks, etc.) and see how these can be used to your advantage.

2) Practice, practice, practice.
    Now test what you've learned. You have to practice, and practice a lot, to learn common positions, avoid falling into traps, and spring traps of your own.