Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Hey Thai food lovers, help me out.

My wife was in Kansas City this week, and last night her group ate at a Thai restaurant. She brought me 2 bottles of sauce from the restaurant. No labels on the bottle. And she can't recall the name of the place where she ate.

Anyway the sauce is good and I would like to recreate it. The sauce has a greenish - brown color to it. It was about as spicy as a jalapeno. The sauce has a LOT of seeds on it, and I can see small pieces of red and green peppers in it. The sauce is just a little thicker than what I would call a thin sauce. It has some sweetness to it. My wife said people were using it on stir fry. It also has a faint taste of fish sauce. I am not sure if there is any vinegar in it, but I think so.

Anybody know what this sauce might be called? Not the actual name the restaurant would use on a label, but the style of the sauce, or local name.

if it's thai food, 99% chance it's Nam Prik Pla or some variety of it. They use that shit like ketchup.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    if it's thai food, 99% chance it's Nam Prik Pla or some variety of it. They use that shit like ketchup.
    Except that this might have fish sauce in it PLUS about 8 other ingredients.

Am I the only one who would call the restaurant and ask them?

10+ Year Old Account
    I enjoy exotic 'thai foods' if you know what I mean

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Sounds like fish sauce: http://www.thaitable.com/thai/recipe...lic-fish-sauce

There are different recipes for it, some us sugar, some do not. Personally, I like mine with sugar in it.
    The stuff he is describing sounds a lot thicker then the stuff in that picture.
    You're a towel.

10+ Year Old Account
    i prefer indian foods myself.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    I love Thai Food, I never had it until I lived here in Austin TX. If you're ever in town, these are the places I love!!: http://titayasthaicuisine.com and http://www.muangthaithaicuisine.com

Thai food is legit. It's a little pricey, but AMAZING IMO

Quote Originally Posted by GarlicGuy View Post
    Except that this might have fish sauce in it PLUS about 8 other ingredients.
    That's exactly what nam prik pla is...fish sauce with a bunch of chilis, lime juice and shit in it.

Consistency can vary depending on whoever makes it. Can be loose and runny'ish like that, or puree'd into a thicker pastey type shit. usually named a variation of Nam prik ___ or Nam phrik ____.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2015-01-16 at 07:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Am I the only one who would call the restaurant and ask them?
    Yes.... Read the post again.

It's not a recipe at all. Just take Thai chiles, enough fish sauce to cover them, and you said it's sweet so add palm sugar, and possibly some rice wine vinegar. Throw it in a blender if that's how they did it.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

That's exactly what nam prik pla is...fish sauce with a bunch of chilis, lime juice and shit in it.

Consistency can vary depending on whoever makes it. Can be loose and runny'ish like that, or puree'd into a thicker pastey type shit. usually named a variation of Nam prik ___ or Nam phrik ____.

I have a bottle of it and mine is clear and brown and looks more like oil. Not that I don't appreciate your taking the time to answer, but I have never seen Nam Prik Pla that is anything but clear.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, sorry... I see you meant the base with added chiles.

I have a bottle of it and mine is clear and brown and looks more like oil. Not that I don't appreciate your taking the time to answer, but I have never seen Nam Prik Pla that is anything but clear.
    There could possibly be oil in it, yes.The standard condiment is what Tradewind posted.

Might also be nam chim thale, which has sugar in it, but it's essentially the same thing. Nam Phrik with sugar and then buzzed in a blender into a lumpy, watery puree.

Might also be nam chim thale, which has sugar in it, but it's essentially the same thing. Nam Phrik with sugar and then buzzed in a blender into a lumpy, watery puree.
    Sounds about right. I know like two words in Thai (although my sig is currently Thai).

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    How about this OP.

Take a Photo of the sauce in question and upload it to the thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    I enjoy exotic 'thai foods' if you know what I mean
    ladyboys? ^^

Yes.... Read the post again.
    My wife was in Kansas City this week, and last night her group ate at a Thai restaurant. No labels on the bottle. And she can't recall the name of the place where she ate.
    So you can't ask anyone in the group? Or she doesn't know the street it was on Kansas City and she can't retrace her steps to find it on Google Maps?

I'm just saying lol. If you really wanted accuracy you should make more of an effort to go to the source.

Quote Originally Posted by dacoolist View Post
    I love Thai Food, I never had it until I lived here in Austin TX. If you're ever in town, these are the places I love!!:

Thai food is legit. It's a little pricey, but AMAZING IMO
    I haven't heard of these places... I should check these places out sometime. <_< >_>Don't look too far either! :P

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    So you can't ask anyone in the group? Or she doesn't know the street it was on Kansas City and she can't retrace her steps to find it on Google Maps?

I'm just saying lol. If you really wanted accuracy you should make more of an effort to go to the source.
    Exactly what I was going to say. Pull up a list of Thai Restaurants in Kansas City start reading off the names of them until the Wife recognizes it or ask someone else in the group if they remember then contact the restaurant directly.

FWIW: There are only 5 pages (each with 20 results) but could handy if she remembers which area she was in.
    https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...flfq=1&tbm=lcl