Page 24 of 35 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Ah yes, they just had to have a barbie ranger with a 15 draw weight bow and wolf.

- - - Updated - - -

* I like it, actually*

Deleted
    game looks interesting

but does it require a large enough playerbase to be running well?
    like, what happens later after the game has released will the first couple of easy "zones" be completely barren?

Quote Originally Posted by agnow View Post
    game looks interesting

but does it require a large enough playerbase to be running well?
    like, what happens later after the game has released will the first couple of easy "zones" be completely barren?
    What easy zones? The game wont have levels and there will always be people interested in the solo zones.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Deleted
    New official video "Bloodstone Campaign ruleset overview":

Looks really interesting. The hype is real!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    What easy zones? The game wont have levels and there will always be people interested in the solo zones.
    the game has different difficulty in different realms, the closer they are to the middle or the hunger? the harder the realms are but the more rewarding

i would assume that you play on harder and harder levels as you progress your character, just like you play in high level zones in WoW at higher levels
    thus meaning that the easy realms will be too easy and not rewarding enough for most of the players, thus leaving the easy realms barren

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by agnow View Post
    the game has different difficulty in different realms, the closer they are to the middle or the hunger? the harder the realms are but the more rewarding

i would assume that you play on harder and harder levels as you progress your character, just like you play in high level zones in WoW at higher levels
    thus meaning that the easy realms will be too easy and not rewarding enough for most of the players, thus leaving the easy realms barren
    What I gathered was the "easy" zones as you say are what might be more "casual" to play. I mean like it has 3 factions to choose from, less loot from your body, etc. leading to more organized play.

The "hard" zones are just going to be more visceral, where you have no faction (your "friends" can and eventually will stab you in the back) and full loot from your corpse; leading to a more deathmatch style of play.

Its not "easy" or "hard"; its more organized/ casual or chaos/hardcore. This I think means all the servers would be more or less equal in population and the "hardcore" individuals can play with their own kind; and "casuals" can be on their own terms.

Really excited about this game, but their estimate is it won't be out until the end of next year, some 18 months away.

Everything I've read so far leads me to believe it will be a unique game; everything from the world to the destruction to the class system is different from every other MMO out there. I love that there's no trinity system, very little healing, which means your decisions matter and the danger will be real. I'm sad it's so far off, but will definitely keep an eye on this one. There are some strong survivability elements, though I don't think it will be as deep as a game like DayZ and certainly the death penalties aren't as steep (since you keep your character skills at least).

One thing that seems odd is the EVE-style "offline" leveling. I read that the leveling offline will be faster than in game, which seems a bit backwards to me. Why would my character learn better by NOT being played? Seems strange, but it's nice that you can make progress while away from the game at least. I kinda wish there was some cost associated with offline leveling though, like you drain resources while training or something; would be realistic (you still have to eat/survive while reading after all), but I don't think we know all their plans for that yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    He may have just meant the "drop-in" or starter zones. My assumption is that the beginning zones won't have resources worth gathering or won't be good places to fortify. You'd rather set up camp with a mountain to your back or otherwise protected rather than in the middle of a field or forest or something. They will likely figure that out. There's so many possibilities, but I imagine there will be a lot of thought to where each group starts, depending on the type of map/campaign.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Varabently View Post
    One thing that seems odd is the EVE-style "offline" leveling. I read that the leveling offline will be faster than in game, which seems a bit backwards to me. Why would my character learn better by NOT being played? Seems strange, but it's nice that you can make progress while away from the game at least. I kinda wish there was some cost associated with offline leveling though, like you drain resources while training or something; would be realistic (you still have to eat/survive while reading after all), but I don't think we know all their plans for that yet.
    I think that may be some sort of catch up mechanic, to not leave players massively behind if they can't play for a certain amount of time. But I'm speculating.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    Just watched some gameplay. It looks like a cross between WoW and Wildstar with GW2 PvP thrown in. Nothing I've seen about this game so far makes me excited about it.
    Just the destruction and character customization via skills (and not level-based) has me excited. The rest is just icing. They also are giving a LOT of information very early in development, which is a gamble, but keeps me interested at least. All of it is subject to change, but the game itself seems quite fleshed out for this early on. Compare to a game like Camelot Unchained (which I backed) where SO much is still up in the air and they are spending all this time developing their own engine.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Brazorf View Post
    I think that may be some sort of catch up mechanic, to not leave players massively behind if they can't play for a certain amount of time. But I'm speculating.
    I understood it to be a core way that you train your skills though. From the FAQ on their site:

5. HOW DOES CHARACTER ADVANCEMENT WORK?
    Crowfall uses a skill-based system to resolve in-game actions. Characters do not have discrete “levels” like most traditional MMOs. This means that there are MANY potential ways to advance your character at any given time.

There are two ways that a character can increase his or her skills: passive training (in a method similar to “Eve Online”) and active training (i.e. doing things in game). Active training can help you get a jumpstart on a new skill, but it can only get you basic competency. The primary method of increasing your skills is passive training.

Edit- To be clear, it's certainly a way to keep up (rather than catch-up) if you can't log into the game, but based on this FAQ, youll likely be expected to do passive training. There's really no good reason not to, especially since there's no subscription outside of VIP access. You can go dormant for a few months and your character continues to grow. Pretty cool for sure. I think the idea is they want the entire game to be "end-game" and the training just occurs over time and makes you stronger slowly. I like how they also talked about leveling out gear/skill curves so new characters aren't gimped for very long. Lotta good idea in this game for sure.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Erristrasza View Post
    The game looks like f2p material, at least according to the graphics which aren't even close to WoW's, let alone other games. Not seeing what the hype is all about.

On a related note, swtor had 120 million $ poured into it and didn't stop it from sucking balls.
    It's hyped because it's unique and sounds really fun. the idea of campaign worlds that end after X amount of time, then a new one starts (sort of like Diablo 3 seasons I guess? very different of course) is intriguing. It's a hodgepodge of a lot of good ideas from various games, which is different from what most games do. Most MMOs these days pick an existing MMO then tweak it slightly.

CF is totally the opposite. It picks and chooses from tons of MMOs with a unique IP. It's certainly not like any other MMO, which is what the hype is about. No one wants to play a WoW clone. I also love how transparent they are being, how there is no NDA on alpha/beta, and how they have stated something along the lines of "we aren't trying to please everyone. We are trying to make the game we want to make and everyone isn't going to like it." One of WoW's worst decisions is spreading too thin by making more and more and more features and systems instead of improving existing core features. Instead of adding more classes or dungeons or raids, WoW made pet battles or garrison or whatever. I get the feeling CF won't be like that.

But it's 18 months away, and they've also admitted things will change. Hopefully they stay true to much of what they said. If the do, it'll be a great time.
    Last edited by Varabently; 2015-04-23 at 05:39 PM.

Deleted
    For some reason, a game that is in pre-alpha is now selling a collector's edition - https://crowfall.com/#/store/3310ba3...e-f59fad3e95c7 for 150$.

Also there's a lot of other things that can be bought from their shop - mounts for 15$ or strongholds for 60$ - seriously wtf is that?

Am I missing something here? A game that is in PRE-ALPHA is selling in-game items for tons of real money.

You can even reserve a guild name for 75 FUCKING DOLLARS! I've never seen something like that.
    Last edited by mmocfee4aa7b34; 2015-09-23 at 11:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganker View Post
    Am I missing something here? A game that is in PRE-ALPHA is selling in-game items for tons of real money.
    Yup, this has been going on for a while now that crowdfunding has become a thing. Hell, Pathfinder Online was requiring people to pay a subscription to play the pre-alpha/alpha build (in addition to buying into it).

It's kinda hilarious that they actually have tabletop miniatures for a game that isn't even close to being a thing yet.

You can buy an in game castle for the low low price of $599. It's on sale from the usual $800! What a steal!
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Really don't have an issue with things being sold beforehand. They've made enough progress through crowdfunding and they have enough standing as devs to know that the game will be made. If there are some fans out there with deep pockets than good on them for subsidizing the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Yup, this has been going on for a while now that crowdfunding has become a thing. Hell, Pathfinder Online was requiring people to pay a subscription to play the pre-alpha/alpha build (in addition to buying into it).
    Kind of reminds me of that thread about Trials of Ascension and their whole thing.

Just came across this. Nice graphics, I like.

Following the line of logic: "The OP works for the company".

Allow me to offer this advice: Don't campaign that you are a next-gen or that you are better than all the rest.
    Focus on telling us about the features, ideas and gameplay you intend to offer us.

Let people make those claims for you. Don't be so arrogant as to try and do it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Kind of reminds me of that thread about Trials of Ascension and their whole thing.
    This. The sooner we stomp out such practices, the better.

Found the "Crows and Vessels" system pretty interesting. Let's see if they can implement it well.

I literally forgot about this game even though I backed it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Spikeyshadow View Post
    Found the "Crows and Vessels" system pretty interesting. Let's see if they can implement it well.
    Seems like a logical progression for MMOs to make considering all of the old ones who started with the system where your progression is tied to a single character are now trying to make more and more changes to make it all account wide.