Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Scimitar of the Sirocco ?!

I'm trying to make a new x-mog for my rogue, and I found a weapon that comes from a profession that I don't have and never had: Archeology! Therefor I also cannot estimate at all how much time it would take to acquire this weapon: http://www.wowhead.com/item=64885/sc...of-the-sirocco

The question to all those who know what archaeology is about, how long will it approximately take? Are we talking about hours, days, weeks or maybe even months?

x-mog would look like this:

realy depends on your lucky, i got all the other rares before i got this one, took me 6 months >_>. Buut i suspect drop rates was buffed since the time i did it.

Id relay just go try farming it.

Deleted
    I thought I have to collect some fragments and keystones and then buy it with them, though I really have no idea about archaeology :-)

So it is a luck dependant drop?

It's from Tol'vir, and those dig sites can be very rare. Your best bet might be to farm MoP completion crates and turn them in for Tol'vir crates.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

You cant chose which project you want to do, you have to keep doing solves until you get it pop up, and then you need the right dig sites too.

Quote Originally Posted by NoRest4Wicked View Post
    It's from Tol'vir, and those dig sites can be very rare. Your best bet might be to farm MoP completion crates and turn them in for Tol'vir crates.
    Or WoD if you're up to trekking it and possibly getting 620 weapon artifact rares. But yeah, Tol'vir rares are the most annoying because you can only get them in Uldum, which has a chance to pop up after doing digsites in Kalimdor or whatever. The weapon is BoA right? Might as well do it on an alchemist because you might get the Vial of the Sands recipe from the jars at the same time from Arch.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Or WoD if you're up to trekking it and possibly getting 620 weapon artifact rares. But yeah, Tol'vir rares are the most annoying because you can only get them in Uldum, which has a chance to pop up after doing digsites in Kalimdor or whatever. The weapon is BoA right? Might as well do it on an alchemist because you might get the Vial of the Sands recipe from the jars at the same time from Arch.
    I went with MoP simply because flying will make it so much easier to do. Also, you can get the map that makes all dig sites Mantid, which clusters them to two zones. Goes fast.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

I went with MoP simply because flying will make it so much easier to do.
    Yeah I figured, that's why I added if you're up to trekking it, the MoP ones would be easier.

I went with MoP simply because flying will make it so much easier to do. Also, you can get the map that makes all dig sites Mantid, which clusters them to two zones. Goes fast.
    No flying might have looked like a great idea for those purple treasures.... but herp a derpa did they just forget archeology?!!!?
    Idiots.
    Okay, well at least make the archeology spots smaller, more compact so because we can't fly won't make it THAT awful. Nope, huge ass digsites in WoD. Not to mention is it just me or do the WoD digsites like to pop the fragments on opposite sides of the digsite? They literally couldn't have shit on archeology anymore in this xpac. I think simply removing it would've been more humane.

I have over 400 troll solves and still no Zin'rokh, I gave up in Cata on ever getting this sword there are people with over 1k solves and no sword. RNG is RNG you may get the Scimitar on the second project you may never get it.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a bitch, that's all I know.
    Ryzen 9 5900X/Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 CL16/AORUS 1080 Ti Xtreme/Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi/Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240/Optane 900p 3D XPoint/EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2/Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL/Steelcase Leap/BenQ XL2411Z/Philips Fidelio X2HR/Noppoo Choc Mini (RIP Reckful)/Razer Viper Ultimate/QcK Heavy

Scimitar of the Sirocco is one of the rarest items in the rarest branch of Archaeology.

You can spend hours grinding archeology without getting a single Tol'vir dig at all. Even then, the chance of getting the sword is like 1%.

Deleted
    So farming this seems to be a nightmare, though on the other hand it guarantees exclusivity once you got it.

Just to be on the safe side: I can farm this with my paladin and then use it on my rogue for x-mog, as it says it's account bound?

Paladin is probably the best class for archaeology... or maybe Mage with all their portals and teleports?
    Last edited by mmoc90507aa8c5; 2015-01-18 at 12:20 PM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've been on and off farming up Pandaria places for stuff. The restored artifacts can be traded in for Tolvir which is nice, and along the way you work towards your "the Seeker" title from all of the Pristine Artifacts you'll dig up.

Being a Dwarf also helps for the artifact bonus.
    Ayr - WW Monk
    US Aerie Peak(A) - Convert to Raid

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure how Renataki's Soul Slicer would fit as a placeholder but I'd use it until you get the Sirocco :P

http://www.wowhead.com/item=69639/renatakis-soul-slicer

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by XMD View Post
    So farming this seems to be a nightmare, though on the other hand it guarantees exclusivity once you got it.

Just to be on the safe side: I can farm this with my paladin and then use it on my rogue for x-mog, as it says it's account bound?

Paladin is probably the best class for archaeology... or maybe Mage with all their portals and teleports?
    Depends where you'd farm. Mage was amazing when I did it back in cata yes, but in pandaria you may prefer a char that has CM gold portals? Long cooldown but far from useless I reckon.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Might as well do it on an alchemist because you might get the Vial of the Sands recipe from the jars at the same time from Arch.
    This. Even if you don't need/like the mount. I never got recipe on my archeology (main) toon before i dropped alchemy and just cba to raise archeology on my current alchemy alt.

Deleted
    I think I'll do it on my mage, as she is lvl 85 and so I can also level it while doing archaeology.
    Last edited by mmoc90507aa8c5; 2015-01-18 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XMD View Post

Mages won't help you very much, as there's not enough worthwhile places to port to. Paladin with run speed enchant + Pursuit of Justice would probably be fastest.

You've got 2 choices - Kalimdor or Pandaria. Kalimdor means flying endlessly around the continent, you'll be spending most of the time travelling but when you find a Tol'vir dig you'll get plenty of fragments. Pandaria means grinding loads and loads of Mantid digsites using a Sonic Locator to trade the Crated Artifacts for Tol'vir fragments. The digs are quick and all in just two adjacent zones, so there's very little travel involved but it's a massive repetitive grind for very slow payoff.

Pandaria guarantees you Tol'vir fragments, but very very slowly. Kalimdor is more RNG but can pay off well.

Oh, btw you need around 600 Archeology skill to even get Tol'vir and Mantid stuff at all.

Prior to the release of WoD, I had solved every rare in Archy save the Scimitar, I have my Seeker of Knowledge title and have over 1100 TV solves.

So yeah, RNG is RNG. I can't recommend this profession in any capacity but if you are going to do it, go with the suggestion of doing MoP sites and turning in restored artifacts for fragments and stock up on Hieroglyphs from the AH