Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

The Power of The Selfie: Miss Lebanon Criticized. (Greymane Global Trends) GGT

I have been teased a bit for this particular thread title, so I am using it again for the reading pleasure of my fans.

The power of the Selfie.
    http://time.com/3673083/miss-lebanon...israel-selfie/
    Miss Lebanon Criticized After Being Caught in Miss Israel’s Selfie

Miss Lebanon said she had been trying to avoid taking photos with Miss Israel, but Miss Israel initiated a selfie

A seemingly good-spirited selfie taken at the Miss Universe pageant has caused a political stir. Miss Lebanon, Saly Greige, is being criticized for being caught in a photo with Miss Israel, Doron Matalon, along with two other girls.

It seems the power of the selfie has grown over the years. It is no longer a term tween use when describing pictorial self portraits of themselves. Heads of state, heads of corporations, and others are criticized for whom they take the selfie with.
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...ndela-service/
    http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...nto-teenagers/
    http://www.politico.com/story/2014/0...cs-104910.html
    Last edited by GennGreymane; 2015-01-19 at 02:21 AM.

Deleted
    Uuh, what's wrong with that? Can't scroll the link provided for some reason so, what's wrong with being seen in the same picture?

Is she being removed from the competition? Reprimanded? fined?

Why the hell should she care if she's criticized? Its the Internet. I'll probably be criticized by 5+ people just for this post.

10+ Year Old Account
    After Matalon posted the snapshot on her Facebook profile, Lebanese television station Al Jadeed quipped that, since one of her hobbies is reading, she should have read that Lebanon and Israel are enemies.
    A bit more from the article.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    I have been teased a bit for this particular thread title, so I am using it again for the reading pleasure of my fans.

The power of the Selfie.
    http://time.com/3673083/miss-lebanon...israel-selfie/
    Miss Lebanon Criticized After Being Caught in Miss Israel’s Selfie
    Lol, reminds of the Arab and Muslim competitors in the Olympics or various international competitions that forfeit or boycott rather than competing against Israeli athletes.

10+ Year Old Account
    What a complete joke. I'm sorry but this is just pathetic. "omg you were in a picture with someone from X country??? YOU ARE AWFUL!" Hopefully she is safe after she gets back home.
    You're a towel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    Is she being removed from the competition? Reprimanded? fined?

Why the hell should she care if she's criticized? Its the Internet. I'll probably be criticized by 5+ people just for this post.
    Lebanese polititians condemned their miss' action, going so far as asking for her to be thrown out of the competiton and sent home immediatly.
    And while miss Israel states she's just "mingling with everyone as one should expected to in such an environment of 3 weeks of happiness and finding out about other people's cultures", miss Lebanon states that since the day they've arrived at Miami (where the contest is being held) miss Israel has been following her and trying to take a picture with her. According to her own words, she finally succeeded by imposing herself while miss Lebanon was chatting with Misses Japan and Slovenia.

source, portuguese newspapel: http://www.jn.pt/PaginaInicial/Mundo...ent_id=4349181
    Last edited by Azgraal; 2015-01-19 at 12:53 PM. Reason: I made a little mistake as I was translating while thinking about what to write. Fixed now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    A bit more from the article.
    That makes no sense at all. So, because the leaders are at the throat of eachother that means people from those nations shouldn't be seen with someone from the "enemy"? Pretty retarded.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azgraal View Post
    miss Lebanon states that since the day they've arrived at Miami (where the contest is being held) miss Israel has been following her and trying to take a picture with her.
    A. that sounds like an excuse to get out of trouble, and B. If true, it sounds like Miss Israel might have a crush on Miss Lebanon....brb fanfic time!
    You're a towel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    What a complete joke. I'm sorry but this is just pathetic. "omg you were in a picture with someone from X country??? YOU ARE AWFUL!" Hopefully she is safe after she gets back home.
    To their fellow countrymen (or at least head of states), they're confraternizing with the enemy. I wouldn't be surprised if they're thrown in jail once they're back in their home country, or worse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azgraal View Post
    To their fellow countrymen (or at least head of states), they're confraternizing with the enemy. I wouldn't be surprised if they're thrown in jail once they're back in their home country, or worse.
    I wouldn't doubt it either to be honest, or flogged, or both. I just wouldn't go home lol.
    You're a towel.

10+ Year Old Account
    And here I didn't think the bullshit politics of the middle east could get any dumber.

I suppose instead of asking for world peace, if she won she's supposed to say "Death to Israel!" or something like that?

What happened to when these competitions were just about looking at hot girls who liked puppies and reading?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    A. that sounds like an excuse to get out of trouble, and B. If true, it sounds like Miss Israel might have a crush on Miss Lebanon....brb fanfic time!
    True, it does.

The fact is, if we'd ignore all the vices that are bound to happen on a miss contest, those events are "fun" times for the girls to make friends and enjoy themselves. Most likely they've all been acting like girl friends from any other part of the world, and once reality caught up with them, they started making excuses and saying the first lie they could come up with.

I agree with both your points. Yes it is pathetic! and yes there are stupid nasty idiots out there that might actually want to cause her harm because of a simple selfie. Unfortunately we live in a world full of nasty crazy people, like those types that would kill over a cartoon of an imaginary figure.
    "you can't be serious!!" - yes actually I am.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    And here I didn't think the bullshit politics of the middle east could get any dumber.
    Thinking about it, the situations sounds like a modern day romance.

Julia and Juliet.
    (with Lebanon and Israel as Montague and Capulet)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post

Thanks, Peter.
    Time Peter, Time does.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's ridiculous. It's like saying "I hate potatoes, so you have to hate it aswell!"

I like potatoes though.
    Nobody likes you, everyone left you, they're all out without you havin fun.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiili Mooneye View Post
    Uuh, what's wrong with that? Can't scroll the link provided for some reason so, what's wrong with being seen in the same picture?
    Lebanon is an arab country and borders Israel to the north. Along time Israel has accused Lebanon of harbouring terrorists and said terrorists attacking Israel. This is kind of true. Israel has invaded Lebanon for this several times in pursuit of these terrorists. Because of these, the politicians of both countries as well as many people who have been brainwashed or simply caught in the conflict hate eachother and the mass-media only takes up this aspect even more because... they're the mass-media.

Overall, seeing these girls actually is nice, shows that there can be friendship and smiles. Unfortunately... as they'll grow, their parents and their countries will impose on them hatred to the other side.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    Lebanon is an arab country and borders Israel to the north. Along time Israel has accused Lebanon of harbouring terrorists and said terrorists attacking Israel. This is kind of true. Israel has invaded Lebanon for this several times in pursuit of these terrorists. Because of these, the politicians of both countries as well as many people who have been brainwashed or simply caught in the conflict hate eachother and the mass-media only takes up this aspect even more because... they're the mass-media.

Overall, seeing these girls actually is nice, shows that there can be friendship and smiles. Unfortunately... as they'll grow, their parents and their countries will impose on them hatred to the other side.
    Very well explained.

With the passing of time, it ultimately boiled down to "we support our local sports team and we're rivals with the next town's team", but on a larger, bloodier scale.

Even without direct war actions, the hate is still passed on from parents to children.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just find it insane that if both these girls were NOT wearing the sashes that said where they were from...they would probably get along great.
    You're a towel.