Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    What else will the OP let occur without reporting it?
    My company is stealing from the elderly, but I am not going to say anything because I could get fired.
    My boss is sexual harassing the new intern, but I am not going to say anything because I could get fired.
    My boss is embezzling funds, but I am not going to say anything because I could get fired.
    My company doesn't hire Jews, Blacks, or Women, but I am not going to say anything because I could get fired.

Or is this really just about the OP liking pirating since he doesnt have to pay for the content he watches, and will even support it in a workplace.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    What else will the OP let occur without reporting it?
    My company is stealing from the elderly, but I am not going to say anything because I could get fired.
    My boss is sexual harassing the new intern, but I am not going to say anything because I could get fired.
    My boss is embezzling funds, but I am not going to say anything because I could get fired.
    My company doesn't hire Jews, Blacks, or Women, but I am not going to say anything because I could get fired.

Or is this really just about the OP liking pirating since he doesnt have to pay for the content he watches, and will even support it in a workplace.
    Gee? What will you report?

My neighbors aren't recycling!
    Its Nazi Germany, my neighbors are harboring jews!

First of all, you're assuming*I* care if I am fired. I care if my innocent coworkers lose their jobs over a one time theft of something the company never had to begin with. Would I report to the police a one time theft of $200? No. Id tell the person they stole from, or their families. I cant imagine any situation where ongoing theft would occur from the elderly that I would ever be able to figure out on my own. Also: Elder abuse is pretty damned common. Its why I wouldnt want to be in that sector.

K, well, thats internal. Would I report embezzlement to the police? Fuck no. Would I report it to his boss? Of course.

Well, thats their choice. Seeing as how I'm a woman, they wouldnt have hired me anyways. Would I report it to the police? No, its too hard to prove and a damned waste of resources on everyone's part. But if its just the HR guy who's a dick, then Id report it to his boss.
    Once again, generally speaking sexual harassment is dealt with internally, like embezzlement or discrimination. Report to their boss, other than that Its really not my place to report it myself, only support the harassee

My basic values are essentially: Deal with it internally or quit. Whistleblowing is serious and has serious consequences. Its not to be taken lightly.
    Last edited by Ayla; 2015-01-21 at 07:44 PM.

Herald of the Titans Drunkenfinn's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I've been making my living by working on pirated software for years now so I probably wouldnt.

But I work as a freelancer for the most part so it's alright. When I got to the office and work on the machines there all the software is legit, though. It's just that I do most of my work from home on pirated software :P

But I do think that a company as a whole should never use pirated software. Though I still wouldnt report it, but instead talk to the management about the issue and about the danger it puts the company as a whole into.