The Dead Linger: Out with the old and in with the new

So the developers decided to shy away from their procedural generated massive world and switch to a DayZ like map. Did I mention they're doing it on Unreal 4 Engine? While the game has been in development for awhile, it's actually looking pretty promising now. Below is a video of their new map on the unreal engine.

Part 2! With more color and more scale.

Sidewalks!
    Last edited by AdrianCC100; 2015-02-12 at 01:21 PM.

Added part 2.

New video. =)
    Last edited by AdrianCC100; 2015-02-12 at 01:21 PM.

So I went and checked it out on Steam, because I like zombie games and was interested after I saw your post. What I found was a ton of negative reviews of what's been produced so far, and the statement that the dev team has switched the engine twice after having a stable build, is going back on some of their promises, (including random map generation) and is basically regressing. That doesn't sound particularly positive to me. =/

Quote Originally Posted by Sibut View Post
    So I went and checked it out on Steam, because I like zombie games and was interested after I saw your post. What I found was a ton of negative reviews of what's been produced so far, and the statement that the dev team has switched the engine twice after having a stable build, is going back on some of their promises, (including random map generation) and is basically regressing. That doesn't sound particularly positive to me. =/
    Yes, their current game on the unity engine isn't that great. They were just having too many problems with the procedural generated world, so they decided to switch to a single map. The towns and stuff will still be randomly generated, but the map will be static. Their Unreal Engine engine change hasn't been released yet, but you should be able to play it sometime this month according to what is said in the videos. Sure, they had a bad start, but it's looking promising now that they switched to Unreal..

10+ Year Old Account
    Basically just seems like they've cut out everything that differentiated themselves from their now crowded list of competitors. Only stand-out point I can see with it now is that it's probably the least developed out of the main 5 zombie survival games on Steam.
    Her hall is called Eljudnir,
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,
    and Slothful is her woman servant.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianCC100 View Post
    Yes, their current game on the unity engine isn't that great. They were just having too many problems with the procedural generated world, so they decided to switch to a single map. The towns and stuff will still be randomly generated, but the map will be static. Their Unreal Engine engine change hasn't been released yet, but you should be able to play it sometime this month according to what is said in the videos. Sure, they had a bad start, but it's looking promising now that they switched to Unreal..
    Fair enough, although the sheer amount of negative out there about the game is pretty worrisome. I think I'd be pretty pissed if (as some of the comments put it) someone convinced me to support a kickstarter/early access title, then stripped it down significantly (shrunk map size by ~99% and scrapped the procedural generation) and switched the engine a few times. I think the appeal of the enormous starting map (as unrealistic as it may have been) and the unique nature of the map generation was what appealed to a lot of people and made the game seem unique.

In any case, I'll keep an eye on it with interest, since I love a good zombie game and if implemented correctly "The Dead Linger" could certainly be a lot of fun. =) I'm not going to buy it until it's done though, enough question marks raised already to make me cautious.

Quote Originally Posted by Sibut View Post
    Fair enough, although the sheer amount of negative out there about the game is pretty worrisome. I think I'd be pretty pissed if (as some of the comments put it) someone convinced me to support a kickstarter/early access title, then stripped it down significantly (shrunk map size by ~99% and scrapped the procedural generation) and switched the engine a few times. I think the appeal of the enormous starting map (as unrealistic as it may have been) and the unique nature of the map generation was what appealed to a lot of people and made the game seem unique.

In any case, I'll keep an eye on it with interest, since I love a good zombie game and if implemented correctly "The Dead Linger" could certainly be a lot of fun. =) I'm not going to buy it until it's done though, enough question marks raised already to make me cautious.
    To be fair, their static map is HUGE. If you watch the scale videos, first two, you will get an idea and he throws out some numbers (Don't remember off the top of my head) All those negative reviews came from their Unity engine build and I agree with many of those negative reviews about the current state of their game.. However, I'm not giving up on them just yet.. Who knows, maybe their unreal engine change will awesome compete with DayZ and H1Z1

Looking good.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianCC100 View Post
    Looking good.
    Untextured terrain and one building classifies as "looking good"?

Quote Originally Posted by Delaios View Post
    Untextured terrain and one building classifies as "looking good"?
    Do you understand what a Work In Progress is?

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

Quote Originally Posted by PuppetShowJustice View Post
    Do you understand what a Work In Progress is?
    There's "work in progress" and then there's "work just started". The video I commented on was as barebone as it gets and doesn't look remotely like something that's been in development for 2 years.

Deleted
    There's "work in progress" and then there's "work just started". The video I commented on was as barebone as it gets and doesn't look remotely like something that's been in development for 2 years.
    I'm so happy I didn't buy this 2 years ago. So what did you get for buying this thing two years ago? Oh there's a big world, a textured highway, and even one building!

They're doing an engine change. Of course things are going to look bare. Here, take a look at this quick video they posted.

http://i.gyazo.com/05e0b9029f64c335a8c919958f467c11.mp4

That looks pretty nice compared to what they had.
    Last edited by AdrianCC100; 2015-02-25 at 06:34 PM.

They're doing an engine change. Of course things are going to look bare. Here, take a look at this quick video they posted.
    In truth an engine change is a big thing and it reeks of bad management and development practices if they change so early on in the development cycle.
    RETH

Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    In truth an engine change is a big thing and it reeks of bad management and development practices if they change so early on in the development cycle.
    They're changing because Unity actually costs more than UE4. Also, they're were having many problems with their procedural generated world, so they thought it would be best to change to a static map with randomly generated towns. And I agree that it most likely will be for the best. They are not bad developers, they just set their goal way too high for them to handle.. So I think they're taking a step back.. At least they are not like the Stomping Land devs.