Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    This is the link to the original article with the stat weights. The author hasn't updated it with the latest changes to haste though. It's a little hard to compare mastery to haste directly because mastery depends on the average health of people in the raid, and it also depends on your healing team.

https://stoove.wordpress.com/2014/11...s-of-shamanor/

Deleted
    Hey all,

Last week I've decided that after 9 years it's time for my Warrior to retire and go for a new challenge. I dusted off my Shaman which I played as an alt during WOTLK.

Doing research on specs, read various guides, from what I read everywere, High Tide is the way to go. Having also read the discussion in this thread, and elsewere, I still have some slight confusion about where to go from. Hopefully you guys can give some insight and advice to a newbie Resto Shaman to get me started:

1. I understand High Tide's mechanic. I just don't quite know how to approach it as a newly started healer. Just see it as a talent that removes the decreasing effect of every bounce, and potentially autohealing additional targets that have Riptide? Or focus on the talent and Glyph Riptide to fully utilize High Tide? I personally am only playing in LFR for now, as I am freshly dinged, but I do aim to get back into heroic/mythic content. My current playstyle is dropping Healing Waves and Healing Surge where needed, keeping 3 riptides rolling on both tanks and myself. When there is serious raid damage I swap to Chain Healing. Do you guys have some good advice for a new healer?

2. What would be the level 60 talent of choice to match your suggestion on point 1?

Regards,

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiarno View Post
    1. I understand High Tide's mechanic. I just don't quite know how to approach it as a newly started healer. Just see it as a talent that removes the decreasing effect of every bounce, and potentially autohealing additional targets that have Riptide? Or focus on the talent and Glyph Riptide to fully utilize High Tide?
    Yes, just treat it as a completely passive bonus for now. Focus on proper riptide uptimes on correct targets and maximising everything, including the initial heal - that will automatically make use of High Tide in a decent manner. Once you are completely comfortable with the usage of the base 5 second CD Riptide you will be able to experiment with Glyph of Riptide or Echo of the Elements.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiarno View Post
    2. What would be the level 60 talent of choice to match your suggestion on point 1?
    Stick with Ancestral Swiftness. Elemental Mastery can potentially be more throughput, but requires a lot of factors to align that are often outside of your own control (such as raid setups, cooldown assignments, etc). Current Echo is subpar outside of 5 man content, 6.1 Echo is looking to be a "I want a second SLT" talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Pur1tas View Post
    From my experience Haste is and has always been a utility stat for healers.
    Don't underestimate the throughput value of haste. Quite a lot of our healing is done by Riptide, Healing Rain, and Healing Stream Totem, not to mention Healing Tide. For those spells, X% haste means a flat X% more healing done. You even get to double-dip somewhat, as haste will both reduce the casting time (or GCD) and increase the healing done.
    Diplomacy is just war by other means.

Is HST getting buffed in 6.1?, I remember reading it somewhere but cannot find it

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aviators View Post
    Is HST getting buffed in 6.1?, I remember reading it somewhere but cannot find it
    Nope, just a tooltip fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Is there a hps and hpm spreadsheet available?

I think Blackhand is going to be the worst Rsham boss in existance..like maybe worse than rag >.<
    Hi Sephurik

Updated math for the approximate healing increase of a 50 secondary stats gem, with the recent buff to haste:

Secondary stats to percentages conversion:

50 crit gem: 0.455% crit
    50 haste gem: 0.555% haste
    50 versatility gem: 0.385% versatility -- not counting the damage reduction benefits, only the healing
    50 mastery gem: 1.364% * 1.05 = 1.432% mastery
    50 multistrike gem: 0.758%

The benefit of each secondary stat diminishes the more base stat we have according to:

crit: 0.455 / (1+c)
    haste: 0.555 / (1+h)
    versatility: 0.385 / (1+v)
    multistrike: 0.6 * 0.758 / (1+ms) = 0.455 / (1+ms)
    mastery: 1.432 * (1-hp) / (1+(1-hp) * m)

Where:

c is the character crit percentage divided by 100
    h is the character haste percentage divided by 100
    v is the character versatility percentage divided by 100
    ms is the character multistrike percentage divided by 100
    m is the character mastery percentage divided by 100
    hp is the target hp ratio. For example for a target at 25% hp, hp = 0.25.

Example with my current numbers:

9.45% crit
    23.88% haste
    5.18% versatility
    3.09% multistrike
    89.73% mastery
    6082 spellpower

crit (9.45%): 0.455 / 1.0945 = 0.416%
    haste (23.88%): 0.555 / 1.2388 = 0.448%
    versatility (5.18%) 0.385 / 1.0518 = 0.366%
    multistrike (3.09%): 0.455 / 1.0309 = 0.441%
    mastery (89.73%) for target near death at 0% HP: 1.432 / 1.8973 = 0.754%
    mastery (89.73%) for target at 25% HP: 0.75*1.432/(1+0.75*0.8973) = 0.642%
    mastery (89.73%) for target at 50% HP: 0.5*1.432/(1+0.5*0.8973) = 0.494%
    mastery (89.73%) for a target at 75% HP: 0.25*1.432/(1+0.25*0.8973) = 0.292%

For comparison, 50 intellect at 6082 spellpower is 50/6082 = 0.82%.

There is so many different ways of gearing now for resto shaman that im actually confused. My alt has been going for crit since i saw our guilds shamans doing so. but now im seeing more and more going mastery, im currently rather balanced between haste critt and mastery right now due to picking what i can mostly(low spirit though). So any guidance on how to gear would be very welcome since i want to get the most out of my shaman!
    Last edited by Sunnydee; 2015-02-09 at 12:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    People on this site hate everything. Keep that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
    There is so many different ways of gearing now for resto shaman that im actually confused. My alt has been going for crit since i saw our guilds shamans doing so. but now im seeing more and more going mastery, im currently rather balanced between haste critt and mastery right now due to picking what i can mostly(low spirit though). So any guidance on how to gear would be very welcome since i want to get the most out of my shaman!
    If people are gearing for crit, it's probably because they stick with what worked in MoP. All the theorycrafting I've seen from early WoD beta until now agrees that mastery is our best secondary stat this tier (and most likely the whole expansion). You should be gemming and enchanting for mastery. There's really no contest on any content that's actually challenging, and if the content isn't challenging then you don't have to worry about gearing for it anyway.

What comes second depends a bit on the encounter and raid size, since haste scales better with some abilities than others (for Healing Rain it both reduces the casting time and increases the healing done; for Chain Heal it only reduces casting time). Spirit is great if you can put the extra mana to good use but worthless if you can't; its value diminishes quickly so it's not really something you want in more than 2-3 slots. Crit is always decent, but never really shines. Multistrike is consistently underwhelming. Versatility is the worst, but you get some minor damage reduction as a consolation prize.

Quote Originally Posted by Alltat View Post
    If people are gearing for crit, it's probably because they stick with what worked in MoP. All the theorycrafting I've seen from early WoD beta until now agrees that mastery is our best secondary stat this tier (and most likely the whole expansion). You should be gemming and enchanting for mastery. There's really no contest on any content that's actually challenging, and if the content isn't challenging then you don't have to worry about gearing for it anyway.

What comes second depends a bit on the encounter and raid size, since haste scales better with some abilities than others (for Healing Rain it both reduces the casting time and increases the healing done; for Chain Heal it only reduces casting time). Spirit is great if you can put the extra mana to good use but worthless if you can't; its value diminishes quickly so it's not really something you want in more than 2-3 slots. Crit is always decent, but never really shines. Multistrike is consistently underwhelming. Versatility is the worst, but you get some minor damage reduction as a consolation prize.
    I agree (is that spelled right?) 100%. Also I would like to add that Crit and Mastery do not compliment each other very well in my opinion due to the fact that it might result in a lot of overhealing. I think we should stop talking about single stats as it is quite obvious we should gem and enchant mastery. The question is rather which Stat combinations grant us our best in slot items. I think going for Mastery Haste over Mastery + anything else is a good way to go. If you cannot get a Mastery Item in a slot I think Haste is the go to stat with probably Haste Crit being a little better than Haste Multistrike and a lot better than Haste Versatility.

I hope you understand what I am saying. Essentially there should be either Mastery or Haste on your gear with both being the optimal case.

Does the T17 4p have a 16% chance to proc or just 8%? It's an 8% chance when we get Tidal Waves, but Tidal Waves has two charges.

Cheers All and Pur. changed around a bit 1700 mastery and 1100 haste ish. gonna see how next alt run goes
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    People on this site hate everything. Keep that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Axelond View Post
    Elemental Mastery, No

Glyph of Riptide, No

Level 75 Talents Conductivity on Butcher and maybe Mar'gok and brackenspore
    I've come to find if you are running high tide, not getting riptides up on as many targets as you can when damage is low defeats the purpose of using high tide. Otherwise, I think you're right. But then, if you are a cloudburst shaman, GoRT probably isn't all that important.
    "The fatal flaw of every plan, no matter how well planned, is the assumption that you know more than your enemy."

Quote Originally Posted by Melusine View Post
    I've come to find if you are running high tide, not getting riptides up on as many targets as you can when damage is low defeats the purpose of using high tide. Otherwise, I think you're right. But then, if you are a cloudburst shaman, GoRT probably isn't all that important.
    It depends a bit on the raid size. For High Tide to be optimal, you need a primary target with Riptide and then two other people with Riptide who don't get targeted by any of the first three jumps. Basically you want a person with Riptide, then three "filler" people, then two people with Riptide. Since the number of people in the raid who have Riptide is unaffected by raid size, but the number of "filler" people is affected by raid size, the probability of getting lucky with High Tide goes up the bigger your raid gets. Having more people in the raid obviously also greatly increases the chance that someone will happen to be in range.

As someone in a guild that always has a minimum of 20 people in the raid (usually 21-25 for heroic, obviously 20 for mythic), I've found that I can get good mileage out of High Tide even without Glyph of Riptide. Testing it, I've found that I lost more healing than I gained. My testing wasn't all that rigorous, though, and comparing numbers from one week to the next inevitably mean differences in gear and luck and so on, so take that with a grain of salt. For 10-15 man healing it might be worth it, but it might also be better to just accept that your Chain Heals will be weaker (and possibly pick another talent).

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbtacks View Post
    Does the T17 4p have a 16% chance to proc or just 8%? It's an 8% chance when we get Tidal Waves, but Tidal Waves has two charges.
    8%, Tidal waves is a single buff.

10% Healing Buff?

Patch 6.1 bought you by Bandaid

Quote Originally Posted by Aviators View Post
    10% Healing Buff?

Patch 6.1 bought you by Bandaid
    Hey, it's something. We'll still probably be the worst healer minus a stacked fight here and there, but at least disc got another PW:S nerf.

its second time in wod that Restorative Waves is buffed by 10 % LOL atleast in this exp its that not flat 30 % hr buff and 15 % ch buff every patch