Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ...
    Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I really think we don't give the ancient peoples the credit they deserve. They did some amazing stuff.
    I remember reading about what they called batteries being found, dated to be from ancient Egypt. They were as basic as it gets, with copper wires and lemons, but they still generated a tiny bit of electricity.

Just makes you wonder what stuff we've created nowadays that people will forget about in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    I really think we don't give the ancient peoples the credit they deserve. They did some amazing stuff.
    I remember reading about what they called batteries being found, dated to be from ancient Egypt. They were as basic as it gets, with copper wires and lemons, but they still generated a tiny bit of electricity.

Just makes you wonder what stuff we've created nowadays that people will forget about in the future.
    They're from Mesopotamia (what's now Iraq) - a set of fully legitimate chemical batteries, believed to have been used for electroplating.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baghdad_Battery

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    They're from Mesopotamia (what's now Iraq) - a set of fully legitimate chemical batteries, believed to have been used for electroplating.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baghdad_Battery
    Amusingly enough, the article you linked says that mainstream archaeologists do not believe that they were used for any such thing. Daniken does believe it, but as one of the main Ancient Aliens contributors, and the supporter of a huge host of crackpot theories, that doesn't lead much credence to the claim.

The elements found in the jars could be combined to make a small and ineffiecient battery, however there is no evidence that they were used for that. No electroplated material has ever been recovered from Mesopotamia or anywhere else in the ancient world.

While most likely done by humans (aliens? O_o) that is quite impressive nonetheless, not so much the H shaped ones but the ones with very small incisions and then holes, it looks machine cut, no idea how you would do something like that by hand, or why.
    Most shape has a purpose, those look like they are both decorative and for ease of stacking, but it is still quite impressive to be honest.

I recall a theory that was made after analysis of some of the Pyramid's stones, maybe it could apply to this as well?
    Basically that they arent huge slabs of rock, but instead a bit more like reconstructed stone/cement.

They would pulverize the stones then, transport them via water channels/ditches where they would be "remade" via w/e process, removing all water and forming fairly big blocks of stone then just shaping them or even molding which could explain some of those i"precise cuts " and lack of chipping, but i cant seem to find it anywhere, twas a few years ago.

Humans have always been quite inventive so while amazing its not that unbelievable.
    From all the fringe theories the one I would put a tiny bit of money on would not be "aliens" but at best "civilization reset due to w/e", so some previous civilizations existed, probably not as advanced as we are today but enough to leave such marks.

Either way, those stones really are quite a marvel, also curious about what is the hardness of those stones?
    Man, people should fund more explorations of sub-saharan africa, there have been seen remains of fairly complex solar calendars that predate Mesopotamian civilizations for quite a while, civilization itself might be a tad older than what we think, simply no real record exists, or is buried somewhere.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    Amusingly enough, the article you linked says that mainstream archaeologists do not believe that they were used for any such thing. Daniken does believe it, but as one of the main Ancient Aliens contributors, and the supporter of a huge host of crackpot theories, that doesn't lead much credence to the claim.

The elements found in the jars could be combined to make a small and ineffiecient battery, however there is no evidence that they were used for that. No electroplated material has ever been recovered from Mesopotamia or anywhere else in the ancient world.
    It would erode, electroplating leaves a fairly thin film, dont think it would survive thousands of years.
    Albeit it was probably used for ritual or as a curiosity, zap some unaware fucker and tell him it was the gods.
    A fair amount of technological concepts are quite old, such as steam or machinery, simply no materials good enough to put them to practical usage. But the classic world was far from primitive science wise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurioxan View Post
    It would erode, electroplating leaves a fairly thin film, dont think it would survive thousands of years.
    Albeit it was probably used for ritual or as a curiosity, zap some unaware fucker and tell him it was the gods.
    A fair amount of technological concepts are quite old, such as steam or machinery, simply no materials good enough to put them to practical usage. But the classic world was far from primitive science wise.
    Not how electroplating works, it wouldn't erode off the entire surface of the object. Even if it did, it leaves clear signs. I am not going to argue with your basic thesis though, and I don't know what those jars were used for, it may indeed be related to electricity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    Not how electroplating works, it wouldn't erode off the entire surface of the object. Even if it did, it leaves clear signs. I am not going to argue with your basic thesis though, and I don't know what those jars were used for, it may indeed be related to electricity.
    From the wiki article it appears more a coincidence that they could have created electricity, rather than by design. Somewhat disappointing to be honest.

Assburgers is no laughing matter.

"We are in trouble as a species if we believe that things are impossible just because we can't figure them out."

I am paraphrasing but I believe it was Alan Davies that said it on QI. 500 years ago it would have been proof of God, today it is proof of aliens.... It is really only proof of limitations to skill and imagination.

...also, think for a moment about what the Romans did during roughly the same time with VERY limited technology.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, this thread has basically been the OP posting, and everyone else telling them how wrong they are.

This thread has indeed been productive.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Got a good laugh out of this thread and excellent educational value in the video from the second post.

The fact that the OP stopped posting is more telling that anything I'd say

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draenox View Post
    Got a good laugh out of this thread and excellent educational value in the video from the second post.

The fact that the OP stopped posting is more telling that anything I'd say
    For some reason, the "let's talk about how aliens cut rocks" angle didn't prompt too lively of a discussion.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    For some reason, the "let's talk about how aliens cut rocks" angle didn't prompt too lively of a discussion.
    The "lies about 9/11" thread didn't go swimmingly either.

Deleted
    ...and because they saw that rough cut stone was one of the big errors of the universe's, they encouraged the art of cutting them well wherever they found sentient life.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    The "lies about 9/11" thread didn't go swimmingly either.
    Maybe he's on to something tho...
    Aliens helped us create the base for our building technology and now, so many thousands of years later they came back to raze the twin towers to start a war in the middle east!
    I think the OP is an Alien "save the humans" agent trying to get our eyes open before it's too late!

Or maybe not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by verdamte View Post
    ...and because they saw that rough cut stone was one of the big errors of the universe's, they encouraged the art of cutting them well wherever they found sentient life.
    Those who would not learn the ways of right angle-cut stone edifices found their planets razed in seas of fire.

Swift and harsh is the judgement of the stonemason aliens.

Wait, did I just expose a new conspiracy?
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Those who would not learn the ways of right angle-cut stone edifices found their planets razed in seas of fire.

Swift and harsh is the judgement of the stonemason aliens.

Wait, did I just expose a new conspiracy?
    No, your theory is all wrong. Aliens came to earth to fight a race of Stone Golems, every place they won a battle they forced humans to cut up their fallen enemies and stack the corpses so all could see. That is why once they killed all the stone golems they left and never came back.

Let the tin foil thread die...
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

If extraterrestrials with the capability to travel through space at relativistic speeds came to earth, why would they just build some sand castles and then fly away?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fexus View Post
    If extraterrestrials with the capability to travel through space at relativistic speeds came to earth, why would they just build some sand castles and then fly away?
    Maybe they just came for vacations?
    Oh, hi.