Increase in spam

What's with the increase in spam threads lately? Looks like it's coming from China. The latest ones are coming from user januarysixteen010. May be time to tighten up the spam filters.

10+ Year Old Account
    We're doing the best we can to clean it up as quick as possible!

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    Keep it up mods! \o/
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

Just disable account creation, till this is fixed. So you can focus more on the solution instead of having mods play catchup with all the spam.

Or put it in read only for a short while? Not being able to use the front page's "recent posts" is meh!

Limiting access to their IP classes at account creation?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soisoisoi View Post
    Or put it in read only for a short while?
    Quote Originally Posted by Khatix View Post
    Just disable account creation, till this is fixed
    Although it has been worse than usual lately -- it waxes and wanes -- I think folks don't realise how many spambots we get on a regular basis. If we did this, we would be always doing this.

We do have a spam filter that catches many things before they go public, as well as a service that is smart and "learns" after seeing particular spam enough times (but obviously there is a delay while it learns). So we've got good tools helping us, they're just imperfect.

There are other options out there to combat it, but most of them have limited capacity or have big downsides especially at addressing spam long term (for example, making the forums 'read only' is not something we can do for an ongoing problem).

Most of the spam threads don't stick around for more than a few minutes before we get 'em and in many cases we are able to catch accounts before they post. Report them when you see them and rest assured we're doing our best to make the forums an enjoyable and spam-free place for our users.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |