Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Rogue Dual spec gear

Hello yall,

I was wondering about top tier rogue, or simply strong rogue in pve opinion on this.
    As you all know, the optimal dps from rogue comes from switching spec depending on the fight and it is pretty much a fact that combat and sub are those 2 spec most of the time for now.

I was wondering about the gearing factor.
    Obviously the 3 different rogue spec have different priority.

Knowing this, how is the switching spec mostly handled by the players when it comes to enchant, main stats priority?

For exemple, if you are combat, you want haste as main stats but going sub, it becomes multi with haste being the last wanted stats.

Do you enchant yourself for the single target fight and choose gear mainly for that spec(When you have to choose), or else ?

Just want opinion on that subject.

I play assass and planned on doing combat/ass, but the problem is kinda huge on that stats priority difference and weapon...

I want mastery and crit as assass and haste multi on combat. Also, when you have crafted gear, do you pick a little of both or focus on single target ?

Your answer does not have to be the most precise, but I would like some serious and experienced answer.

Maybe it will only be deal with the wrong stats but whatever.

If you are switching specs (props for giving a shit, you are an asset to your guild), you should play subt / combat, with subt on single target and combat on cleave fights. Gear Multistrike > Mastery > Else, incidentally Multistrike is the best stat for ST Subt and Cleave Combat.
    Ragnar-Os! The only cereal with the Molten Core!
    BY FIBER BE PURGED!
    TASTE THE FLAVORS OF SULFURON!
    TWO SCOOPS, EXECUTUS! TWO SCOOPS!

Well first of all you have your stat priorities wrong.

You want Crit and Multistrike as Assassination, Not Mastery.
    Mastery does not pull ahead until high ilvl gear from Foundry + the 4pc bonus.

As a general rule, if you intend to play more than one spec you should be using Multistrike Enchants and Gems as it is the best middle ground to use for a stat without costing yourself an arm and a leg in swapping costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavv View Post
    Well first of all you have your stat priorities wrong.

You want Multistrike and Crit as Assassination, Not Mastery.
    Mastery does not pull ahead until high ilvl gear from Foundry + the 4pc bonus.

As a general rule, if you intend to play more than one spec you should be using Multistrike Enchants and Gems as it is the best middle ground to use for a stat without costing yourself an arm and a leg in swapping costs.
    Actually, here are stat weights for 670ish ilvl Assassination:

Agility 1.102
    Attack Power 1.000
    Mastery 0.475
    Multistrike 0.468
    Crit 0.462
    Vers 0.393
    Haste 0.359
    Mainhand Dps 0.975
    Offhand Dps 0.264
    T17 4pc 266.580
    T17 2pc 213.362
    T17 4pc Lfr 73.542
    Ragnar-Os! The only cereal with the Molten Core!
    BY FIBER BE PURGED!
    TASTE THE FLAVORS OF SULFURON!
    TWO SCOOPS, EXECUTUS! TWO SCOOPS!

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    Actually, here are stat weights for 670ish ilvl Assassination:

Agility 1.102
    Attack Power 1.000
    Mastery 0.475
    Multistrike 0.468
    Crit 0.462
    Vers 0.393
    Haste 0.359
    Mainhand Dps 0.975
    Offhand Dps 0.264
    T17 4pc 266.580
    T17 2pc 213.362
    T17 4pc Lfr 73.542
    No.

10chars.

Combat/Sub, enchant for Multistrike.

There's no real reason to carry Mut as a spec currently.

I play assass simply because I love the simple gameplay and was used to dotting with feral already.

It is true that sub/comb are top dps, but since I am not playing mythic on this toon, it does not matter that much.

Mastery is sooo strong on assass, don't undermine it with multi. I go crit/mastery then multi because poison dot are so important for the class, even if multi is also good, mastery is still top.

Basically, all I have seen is that you build for sub and build multistrike mostly.

One thing I don't know tho, how important is haste for combat tho ? I thought it was freaking good but I have no experience into it, only read and saw the bonus it gives so I thought it may be bad not to build any when you switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Liandryl View Post
    I play assass simply because I love the simple gameplay and was used to dotting with feral already.

It is true that sub/comb are top dps, but since I am not playing mythic on this toon, it does not matter that much.

Mastery is sooo strong on assass, don't undermine it with multi. I go crit/mastery then multi because poison dot are so important for the class, even if multi is also good, mastery is still top.

Basically, all I have seen is that you build for sub and build multistrike mostly.

One thing I don't know tho, how important is haste for combat tho ? I thought it was freaking good but I have no experience into it, only read and saw the bonus it gives so I thought it may be bad not to build any when you switch.
    Think about your guild and where it needs the help, not your own numbers. Like, if your guild lacks aoe dps/cleave, stat yourself for that and then be subpar at the other spec and vice versa. Help where it's needed, and don't worry about overkill of numbers if your guild is doing fine on single target fights...

I actually only pug with my rogue, it is my alt so it's mainly about personal play for that toon.
    Also, I pull pretty good numbers with assass spec already and I planned to eventually go sub/combat if I had a serious group with him, which is also a reason why I am asking these type of question since I love to optimize my toons.

Depending on what your guild's current progression is, assassination is perfectly viable. For instance, my guild is progressing through mythic twins and mythic brackenspore. Both fights are very favorable to assassination. Sure I could just run combat and yolo BF, but it's less dps on twins because of no dps on phemos during ww and no dps on pol during shield charge.

However, while I will play sub if we are under a strict dps requirement, because it simply does more damage, I don't like the spec. I feel that I am able to better pay attention to mechanics during assassination compared to sub. And let's be honest, Twins and Brackenspore are more about staying alive and less about doing absolutely 100% optimal dps.

To quote my raid leader "I don't give a shit about your dps. Let's hit the enrage, so that I know mechanics are being done correctly, then we'll worry about dps."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kiramon View Post
    Think about your guild and where it needs the help, not your own numbers. Like, if your guild lacks aoe dps/cleave, stat yourself for that and then be subpar at the other spec and vice versa. Help where it's needed, and don't worry about overkill of numbers if your guild is doing fine on single target fights...
    You wont ever lack cleave or aoe. The only thing you might lack is single target dps

Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    You wont ever lack cleave or aoe. The only thing you might lack is single target dps
    This x1000. Unless your guild doesn't have any ret pallies, enhancement shamans, frost mages, hunters, combat rogues (oh wait, that's what we're talking about), warriors, monks, etc...

Deleted
    On the other hand, why shouldn't you choose the spec that does the most damage since survivability is the same for all three of the rogue's specs? If you feel playing Subtlety/Combat is so difficult that you cannot deal with encounter mechanics, it's probably just lack of experience with the spec and/or unoptimized UI that would help you track your CDs, buffs and debuffs.
    Last edited by mmoc12440bec32; 2015-01-27 at 02:36 PM.

No.

10chars.
    I'd imagine that was from shadowcraft. so yes, that's pretty accurate as stat values go up and down with the different amounts of interaction between themselves and other stats. For the gear he is wearing, yes.
    Last edited by delus; 2015-01-27 at 02:49 PM.

No.

10chars.
    great retort, the facts of yours are astounding
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    I literally die every time i see people using literally wrong.

No.

10chars.
    Lol. Anyways.

But yeah, multistrike, mastery, and crit are all very close together for assassination. Here's something to remember. Assassination gets an additional 5% mastery from every source. Aka, if you get an item that gives you 100 mastery, you get an extra 5% on top of that, so 100 mastery will actually net 105 mastery. Mastery will eventually win out once we start getting more multistrike and crit on our gear. For now, they're all pretty much equal.

Deleted
    Multi is the way to go

Field Marshal
    7+ Year Old Account
    Little off topic, but for those who duel spec combat and sub, which spec are you using for which bosses in highmaul?

I very recently specced out of sub in favor of sin because of where my guild is on progression (mythic twins/brackenspore) but when I was sub I used it in kargath, butcher, and koragh. Combat on the other four.
    Last edited by Athonel; 2015-01-27 at 11:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Estocire View Post
    Little off topic, but for those who duel spec combat and sub, which spec are you using for which bosses in highmaul?
    Multistrike is the best stat for both specs.

Kargath:sub,butcher:sub,tectus:combat,spore:combat,twins:combat,koragh:sub,margok:combat