Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

6.1 Shadow Priest changes and the future of shadow

• Void Entropy (Shadow) damage increased by 80%
    • Surge of Darkness now has a 12% chance to trigger (up from 10%).
    • Divine Star (Shadow) damage increased by 20%.
    • Auspicious Spirits (Shadow) no longer cause Shadowy Apparitions to not deal damage. Instead, it now increases Shadowy Apparition damage by 100% in addition to still granting 1 Shadow Orb.
    • Insanity (Shadow) now also affects Mind Sear.

So the long of the short is that we get some buffs for add fights, AS, Surge of Darkness, Divine Star and VE still looks pretty pointless in the long run - nothing amazing really.

Does anyone see these changes actually making a difference for the regular raiding Shadow Priest? Because I sure don't. :/
    Last edited by Phailzôr; 2015-01-24 at 06:52 AM.

+1 for Void Star

Surge+Spirits indisputably better on multi-target now. Single target is TBD.

I never thought I'd say this, but I kind of like COP at this point. I kind of hope it stays the best single target option.

Also, I hope they never decide to make Void Entropy strong enough that we need to spec into it. That would be awful.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bicycle View Post
    Surge+Spirits indisputably better on multi-target now. Single target is TBD.

I never thought I'd say this, but I kind of like COP at this point. I kind of hope it stays the best single target option.

Also, I hope they never decide to make Void Entropy strong enough that we need to spec into it. That would be awful.
    I still don't like CoP. I would be VERY happy if void entropy was a viable single target alternative.

I'm super excited to try out these changes.

Deleted
    since mind sear still sucks without insanity 90% of the time , AS is going to be the clear winner of fights like beastlord, train etc

I'm honestly bored of CoP, but that may be because I feel like DoTWeaving is a silly playstyle that really has no place anywhere.

I feel like void entropy could be a fun playstyle, even though it's only one more button at the start of a fight, but I like keeping my dots up and feel they are an integral part of the Shadow Priest playstyle.

Deleted
    Tank god!!!

Now we can play as shadowpriests again!!! I might actually roll back from being disc!!

New AS looks sexy, VEnt needs another +800% DoT damage to look appealing.

I really think those are good changes. I can't wait to try the new AS. :-)

Deleted
    i am big fun of cop and i dont want to return back to classic shadow so i am really happy that VE and AS still are way behind from COP

so the tertiary stats got buffed as well, and considering devouring plague leeches for the damage and healing parts (i.e. 2x) and AS leans towards higher DP usage, self heals are going to be pretty strong considering it was already strong with DP alone. Is leech going to be a thing worth going for? In the case of gear X/Y without leech and gear X/versatility with leech both same ilvls.

Also, is versatility going to be better than mastery for AS? i feel mastery was designed solely around CoP and you don't use those spells much otherwise.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't get the Insanity MSear change at all. How is that supposed to be usable in practice? Conserve Orbs till there is something to bomb?!

Liking the AS changes very much. Curious to see how they will balance it in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    I don't get the Insanity MSear change at all. How is that supposed to be usable in practice? Conserve Orbs till there is something to bomb?!

Liking the AS changes very much. Curious to see how they will balance it in the end.
    My thinking is in AOE situations, keep casting SW:P on mobs until shadow apparations generate 3 orbs (probably cast MB on cd too), then DP and MSear. Only will work for AS, which is why I thought from the beginning that Insanity MSear is more of a buff to AS and multi-dotting than anything else. Maybe CoP will get some use out of it by just going normal single target rotation until 3+ orbs then substituting MSear for MF when multiple targets.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hablix View Post
    My thinking is in AOE situations, keep casting SW:P on mobs until shadow apparations generate 3 orbs (probably cast MB on cd too), then DP and MSear. Only will work for AS, which is why I thought from the beginning that Insanity MSear is more of a buff to AS and multi-dotting than anything else. Maybe CoP will get some use out of it by just going normal single target rotation until 3+ orbs then substituting MSear for MF when multiple targets.
    The whole AOE situation is a complete fuckup regardless of ms:i. Mindsear does next to no dmg as it is at the moment - hence giving it an occational 100% buff will not make much of a difference, it has even been argued that a permanent 100% buff hardly would brig us on par with others.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bicycle View Post
    Surge+Spirits indisputably better on multi-target now.
    I think there is going to be a breakpoint where Mindbender is more effective due to GCDs.

Good thing they don't buff Mind Sear too much. It is the most brainless form of AoE. At least ele sham AoE is a bit more interesting now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lolalola View Post
    Good thing they don't buff Mind Sear too much. It is the most brainless form of AoE. At least ele sham AoE is a bit more interesting now.
    Its brainless, but not thats it alot harder to cobra shot and multishot adds either, with ages better result.

Instead of mindsear, you want...?

Quote Originally Posted by lolalola View Post
    Sooo, whirlwinding is brainful? Or maybe multishotting is? Or chain lightning? Or frost Dk ability, forgot its name, something with wind, is?

I'm sorry, but you make me /facepalm so hard.
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though

Deleted
    Shadow looks good for once.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hablix View Post

Yah no, that doesn't make sense to me at all.
    By the time I derped around dotting enough mobs single target so that AS procs enough orbs to trigger Insanity for one whopping MS channel....

Mob groups that are big enough to warrant Mind sear will be long dead, because large group mobs Blizzard throws at us typically don't have much HP to begin with.

Think Kor'agh adds: How often will you have 3 orbs when these are up and positioned correctly to take advantage of this talent w/o starting to wait around? (Assuming you play CoP weave since it's a ST fight)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by l33t View Post
    Or frost Dk ability, forgot its name, something with wind, is?
    Howling Blast? ^^