Deleted

Macro Question: Soothing/Surging with target switch

I'm trying to figure out a way to do the following without modifiers:
    - on first button press start channeling Soothing Mist
    - on second/third/... button press on the same target use Surging Mist
    - on target switch use Soothing Mist on the new target

What I've come up so far is
    /cast [nonchanneling:Soothing Mist] Soothing Mist; Surging Mist
    This accomplishes 1 and 2, but if you switch targets while still channeling it will keep on using Surging Mist on the Soothing Mist target (which is not my current target).
    I tried adding @target:
    /cast [nonchanneling:Soothing Mist,@target] Soothing Mist; Surging Mist
    The way the macro system works this @target refers to the second Soothing Mist (bolded) in the macro and not to the conditional (underlined). As in: if you are not channeling Soothing Mist it will start channeling Soothing Mist at your current target. It's the same as above macro without the @target as far as I can tell.

Is there any way to do what I want to do? I don't have high hopes but maybe someone has figured out a way to do it
    If I can do this for Surging and Enveloping I can pretty much pull the Soothing Mist button off my bars. Right now it only makes (relatively) sure that I never hardcast Surging or Enveloping.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Erzengel View Post
    /cast [nonchanneling:Soothing Mist,@target] Soothing Mist; Surging Mist
    The way the macro system works this @target refers to the second Soothing Mist (bolded) in the macro and not to the conditional (underlined). As in: if you are not channeling Soothing Mist it will start channeling Soothing Mist at your current target. It's the same as above macro without the @target as far as I can tell.
    The "@target" conditional doesn't function this way unfortunately. That only really specifies where the spells are being directed at. You can see this by targeting yourself, using the macro to start channeling, then switch to a new target and watch it still show Surging Mist's icon. To put it bluntly, there's no way to determine if your current target is being channeled at, so your macro will not work. As I've inquired about something similar for a more 'foolproof' Surging and Enveloping Mist, the only advice closest to what you want is to to make a simple way to terminate the macro given a modifier or you just escape it out.

It's probably Blizzard's way of punishing those who will try to make the Mistweaver more similar to other healers by trying to "erase" Soothing Mist from the picture. As it's a very useful filler spell many don't try to resort to such means, especially as it doesn't really work as noted above.

To reset a cast sequence on new target, use the reset=target condition.

/castsequence reset=target Soothing Mist, Surge, Surge
    Last edited by yurano; 2015-01-25 at 04:05 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Solemnity View Post
    The "@target" conditional doesn't function this way unfortunately. That only really specifies where the spells are being directed at. You can see this by targeting yourself, using the macro to start channeling, then switch to a new target and watch it still show Surging Mist's icon. To put it bluntly, there's no way to determine if your current target is being channeled at, so your macro will not work. As I've inquired about something similar for a more 'foolproof' Surging and Enveloping Mist, the only advice closest to what you want is to to make a simple way to terminate the macro given a modifier or you just escape it out.

It's probably Blizzard's way of punishing those who will try to make the Mistweaver more similar to other healers by trying to "erase" Soothing Mist from the picture. As it's a very useful filler spell many don't try to resort to such means, especially as it doesn't really work as noted above.
    The macro system works just the way I described. Which makes it work not in the way that I want it to in this case. Agree with the bolded part, that's the obvious crux with the macro in its current form.
    I know that Soothing is good. But if the macro worked the way I want it to I could use Soothing just as well, by just not clicking again once it channels. Right now I'm just using a no-macro version of soothing on my bars, which works fine to switch the target I'm channeling on. I was just asking for a more convient option that by the way saves me a keybind.

Blizzard doesn't want players to setup macros the way you listed. They don't want macros to "play the game for you", and in this case what you want the macro to do falls under that category.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    To reset a cast sequence on new target, use the reset=target condition.

/castsequence reset=target Soothing Mist, Surge, Surge
    I don't want it to be a castsequence for obvious reasons. I works fine to reset targets, but everything else about this macro is horrible sadly. I prefer my current way over this one.

Alright, thanks guys

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nootz View Post
    Blizzard doesn't want players to setup macros the way you listed. They don't want macros to "play the game for you", and in this case what you want the macro to do falls under that category.
    Yeah, I figured it's a grey area. The play-the-game-for-me aspect is the nonchanneling part, which works perfectly fine. The target check can kinda be emulated with above castsequence. But I guess combining both goes to far ^^
    Thing is, this is a unique case as far as I can see. There's a version of spells that you'd never use: the cast time versions.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Erzengel View Post
    I'm trying to figure out a way to do the following without modifiers:
    - on first button press start channeling Soothing Mist
    - on second/third/... button press on the same target use Surging Mist
    - on target switch use Soothing Mist on the new target

Coincidentally a few days ago i tried to create a macro like you described.
    This is what i came up with:

Code:
    #showtooltip Surging Mist
    /castsequence reset=target Soothing Mist, a
    /cast [channeling:Soothing Mist] Surging Mist; Soothing Mist

It still has a few flaws, but it should work more often than not.

/target mouseover
    #showtooltip Surging Mist
    /castsequence reset=target Soothing Mist(Honor Talent), null
    /cast [channeling:Soothing Mist(Honor Talent)] Surging Mist; Soothing Mist(Honor Talent)