Page 1 of 2
LastLast

New PC build, $800 AUD budget

Will be used primarily for gaming, have decided on some parts but any and all criticism / suggestions most welcome.

Peripherals not needed.

Ok this is what I have come up with so far:

Case: No idea
    Mobo: No idea - must be 1150 socket and can overclock CPU
    CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 Anniversary Edition 3.2GHz - $89
    GPU: Definitely need input on this
    RAM: Cheap dual channel 2 x 4GB memory will do ~$100
    HDD: WD Black 1TB - $99
    PSU: Would like suggestions

I'll eventually upgrade the CPU, GPU, memory (near last), and a SSD and possibly the motherboard if needed.

The idea is to have a basic gaming PC with the option to upgrade so please keep that in mind. Also would prefer using a single site to save on shipping and they need to be in Australia, such as:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=index
    http://www.ple.com.au/

Thank you!

Don't even waste the money on that CPU you won't be able to run any current games decently, get an i5, your budget is 800 you should spend at least 300-400 on CPU and GPU.

My reccomendations,

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...ducts_id=27548 CPU

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...ducts_id=29452 GPU

that puts your CPU / gpu cost around 400.

You shouldn't have a problem running most current games with that set up at LEAST at good - high settings, esp if you O/C the CPU, get a good CPU cooler.
    Last edited by seventysix; 2015-01-25 at 04:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by seventysix View Post
    Don't even waste the money on that CPU you won't be able to run any current games decently, get an i5, your budget is 800 you should spend at least 300-400 on CPU and GPU.

My reccomendations,

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...ducts_id=27548 CPU

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...ducts_id=29452 GPU

that puts your CPU / gpu cost around 400.

You shouldn't have a problem running most current games with that set up at LEAST at good - high settings, esp if you O/C the CPU, get a good CPU cooler.
    I'd have to disagree with that, I've seen many benchmarks of modern games and it can easily reach 60FPS on 1080p high settings. Just remember this is just a bare bones gaming system with the ability to upgrade.

Edit: Those suggestions would leave me $192 for a mobo, PSU and case, that doesn't seem possible.
    Last edited by Schmittay; 2015-01-25 at 04:56 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Australia expensive.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($88.00 @ Centre Com)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($39.00 @ CPL Online)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($149.00 @ Scorptec)
    Memory: Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($88.00 @ CPL Online)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($67.00 @ PLE Computers)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($172.00 @ Centre Com)
    Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($84.00 @ PLE Computers)
    Power Supply: XFX TS 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($99.00 @ PLE Computers)
    Total: $786.00
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-25 16:48 EST+1100

Picked a Z97 board cause you said you wanted to upgrade.
    Otherwise certain H97 boards can overclock the G3258.
    Other than warranty, WD Blues and Blacks aren't that different in terms of performance, unless you want the warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Australia expensive.

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($88.00 @ Centre Com)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($39.00 @ CPL Online)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($149.00 @ Scorptec)
    Memory: Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($88.00 @ CPL Online)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($67.00 @ PLE Computers)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($172.00 @ Centre Com)
    Power Supply: XFX TS 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($99.00 @ PLE Computers)
    Total: $786.00
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-25 16:48 EST+1100

Picked a Z97 board cause you said you wanted to upgrade.
    Otherwise certain H97 boards can overclock the G3258.
    Other than warranty, WD Blues and Blacks aren't that different in terms of performance, unless you want the warranty.
    Yes, Australia is expensive for tech =/

That build looks great and precisely what I was after, just curious though, would a r7 265 be a decent option?

10+ Year Old Account
    It is for the price range.
    If you can squeeze in an R9 270. It'd be a tiny bit over but it performs a lot better than the other two. If you can't R7 265 is decent.
    http://au.pcpartpicker.com/part/giga...rd-gvr927oc2gd

Yeh I think I'll spend a little more and get the r9 270, it shows 60 FPS on benchmarks for BF4 which I plan to play a bit.

Thanks Remilia!

Ok I decided to change how to build my new build. Basically I have $800 to spend in a single store in my state, I've decided to go with ple.com.au as it offers the cheapest prices on average. I have decided to forgo the graphics card for a few weeks so I can get a GTX 970 straight off the bat. This also means I can put that money toward a better CPU.

With that in mind how does this sound:

CPU: Intel Core-i5 4690k - $308
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 HD3 LGA1150 ATX - $159
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB - $105
    HDD: WD Blue 1TB - $67
    PSU: XFX TS Gold 550W 80PLUS - $99
    Case: NZXT S340 Black Mid Tower - $84

Total: $822

Sound good?
    Last edited by Schmittay; 2015-01-26 at 12:21 PM.

Deleted
    No psu is crap and wd black a waste of money atm. You have to realise that buying from 1 store aint always cheaper. The list Remilia got above includes shipping as it describes at the bottom.
    Start with the following (black/blue), add what gpu you can get.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($308.00 @ PLE Computers)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($145.00 @ CPL Online)
    Memory: Kingston Fury Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($95.00 @ Centre Com)
    Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($90.00 @ IJK)
    Total: $828.00
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-26 22:23 EST+1100

You don't understand, I am getting a no interest loan and it must be a whole computer I buy and it must be in my state.

Also the website says it includes the price of shipping when it can and I can tell you right now, none of those items included the shipping price so it would of been a fair bit more.

I should of made it more clear but those are the circumstances. I'll change my PSU and HDD though.

10+ Year Old Account
    the limitation of only buying 1 place makes this really really hard.

Anyways this is the build i came up, all of it is from ple.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($308.00 @ PLE Computers)
    CPU Cooler: Thermaltake CLP0608 99.1 CFM CPU Cooler ($69.00 @ PLE Computers)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($135.00 @ PLE Computers)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($105.00 @ PLE Computers)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card ($529.00 @ PLE Computers)
    Case: Cooler Master N300 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.00 @ PLE Computers)
    Total: $1361.00
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-26 22:55 EST+1100

Thats included the 970 you were planning to buy later.
    price without gpu is 832$
    Last edited by Saphyron; 2015-01-26 at 12:05 PM.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

Deleted
    Aha ok, you didn't mention you would go for an interest loan. I see you edited your previous part list. Parts wise its all good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    Aha ok, you didn't mention you would go for an interest loan. I see you edited your previous part list. Parts wise its all good.
    Personally I would not recommend geil ram.

But otherwise pretty okay.

Also if he wants a overclockable cpu he should get a proper cpu cooler. not go with standard
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

Quote Originally Posted by chaosjones View Post
    Personally I would not recommend geil ram.

But otherwise pretty okay.

Also if he wants a overclockable cpu he should get a proper cpu cooler. not go with standard
    Ok I'll go with the G.Skill recommendation.

I've also left out a few bits and pieces including the CPU cooler (I'll end up getting it either at the same time or very close after my GPU), but first I also need to see if the one I wanted fits in my case (Noctua NH-D15).

I also plan on upgrading to a SSD (or two) and case.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmittay View Post

I've also left out a few bits and pieces including the CPU cooler (I'll end up getting it either at the same time or very close after my GPU), but first I also need to see if the one I wanted fits in my case (Noctua NH-D15).

Should fit.

if going for SSD the samsung 850 evo series is a good bet.

Quote Originally Posted by chaosjones View Post
    Should fit.

if going for SSD the samsung 850 evo series is a good bet.
    My thoughts exactly, had the Samsung 830 120GB + 250GB SSD and was very impressed.

Deleted
    I would probably go for a crucial MX100. You will not notice a difference in performance, but chances are the crucial is cheaper.

10+ Year Old Account

I don't think the NH-D15 can fit in the S340.
    The cases that I do know off hand would definitely push you way above budget because Australia expensive .
    NH-D15 is 160mm tall without fan, and S340 has a clearance of 161mm. With fan it's 165mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    I don't think the NH-D15 can fit in the S340.
    The cases that I do know off hand would definitely push you way above budget because Australia expensive .
    NH-D15 is 160mm tall without fan, and S340 has a clearance of 161mm. With fan it's 165mm.

What cooler would you recommend? I'm rather fond of the Noctua brand but happy to go elsewhere if the performance is similar. Was thinking http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...ducts_id=16141 which at least gives me a few options.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    I would probably go for a crucial MX100. You will not notice a difference in performance, but chances are the crucial is cheaper.
    You're probably right, whilst the Samsung has faster speeds, the real world difference would be hardly noticeable if at all. My only concern is quality and longevity of the drives which I know Samsung are great for. I'll look into it and would love some feedback on the SSD. I mean that price...why/how is it so bloody cheap??

10+ Year Old Account
    That one in particular isn't that great in terms of performance. It's a low form factor which is meant for tinier cases. If you want you can change cases.
    http://au.pcpartpicker.com/part/frac...e-fdcaarcr2blw
    Or Define R4/R5, NZXT H440 were going to be the ones I was going to mention but, price =\
    You're probably right, whilst the Samsung has faster speeds, the real world difference would be hardly noticeable if at all. My only concern is quality and longevity of the drives which I know Samsung are great for. I'll look into it and would love some feedback on the SSD. I mean that price...why/how is it so bloody cheap??
    Different NAND type. That's really it. They're using TLC NANDs which are cheaper to manufacture.