Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Doing things alone in public

There's this really great artist (LIGHTS) coming to my town and I really wanna see her since her recent album is one of my favorites of the last 5 years. But no one of my friends is listening to her music.

Is it weird to just go by myself? I feel like there's a weird kind of stigma with doing things alone in public like going to the movies, eat dinner in a restaurant alone or in this case going to a concert... I really don't wanna miss it and I'd probably hate myself for years if I wouldn't go but I just can't find the spirit..

What's your opinion on this?

Chelly
    Just go if you want to.

It's not weird to do things by yourself. If there's a line, chat up the people around you. Or just mind your own business and watch the show.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would it be weird? Have you never went and seen a movie by yourself? Or ate at a restaurant by yourself?

10+ Year Old Account
    Go by yourself. I have a partner who doesn't always like the things that I do. Sometimes I go to movies alone.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Todays First World problem: I want to do something I'm completely capable of doing and I'd enjoy it immensly, but what other people think of me is somehow relevant.

Deleted
    I never understood the cinema one, you spend the majority of the time at cinema not talking anyway.

Pretty sure society considers it being weird but fuck that if you really want to see it.

Idk I feel weird doing things alone too. Simple stuff like eating alone at a restaurant or movies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrathonia
    Has anything pushed you to the edge of quitting WoW?
    Quote Originally Posted by Boreall
    Long Distance relationships and Justin Bieber

Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    I never understood the cinema one, you spend the majority of the time at cinema not talking anyway.
    It's nice to have someone to discuss the movie with after, but otherwise yeah, you're sitting in a dark room in a setting where you shouldn't be socializing.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    The other people that see you there will think you are some kind of social outcast but if that doesn't bother you then go. I find it weird that people would go to a movie by themselves, I like to talk to friends during the movie. It makes it more fun to discuss the movie while watching.

Deleted
    I find it wired that your considering not going because you will be on your own.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I can do something on my own, I much prefer it. Movie I want to see? Concert? Dinner? Go alone. Screw social norms!

My wife broke down and cried for me one night when she found out that before I met her, I basically didn't do anything with anybody. I had one friend, and he was too antisocial to do a lot of things--So I went to concerts, out to eat, vacation, etc. by myself.

There is nothing wrong with it. I still happily go to concerts so I don't torture my wife's sensibilities (I love melodic death metal and she doesn't...)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadee View Post
    The other people that see you there will think you are some kind of social outcast but if that doesn't bother you then go. I find it weird that people would go to a movie by themselves, I like to talk to friends during the movie. It makes it more fun to discuss the movie while watching.
    Oh You are one of 'those' people. In my eyes the same category of people that play with their telephone, throw popcorn at each other or laugh at inappropriate scenes -_-
    If you like talking during the movie, please do it at home! :P

10+ Year Old Account
    If you really want to see this show, just go by yourself. Somehow I've ended up with friends who only share my interest in gaming, nothing else. So when it comes to concerts and movies I go by myself. It's not like you'll get shunned by society because someone saw you do something you enjoy alone. And if it really bothers you, chat up some people at the concert. You already have 1 thing in common with them!
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

It's not weird. Personally, I just don't enjoy doing solo stuff in public - I don't find it weird though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't be the kind of person who misses out on the things they want to do in life for silly and arbitrary reasons.

If you want to go, you should go. It's not weird to go alone but even if it was - fuck what other people think.
    intermittent unavailability
    please PM another global for urgent concerns

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Its definitely a little weird but who cares. No one is gonna make fun of you there, and no one is going to track you down months later and say "OMG HAHA!!! youre that dork that went to a show by yourself!!!" You might get a stare or two though. Also i question your taste of music but thats on you.

15+ Year Old Account
    do it! who cares what others think, they are either impressed because they wouldn´t dare doing it alone, are idiots that trash talk (and who cares what idiots do?) or couldn´t care less

went to a prodigy concert years ago all by myself, that was fucking awesome, i was partially deaf and had fever the next day (prodigy concert in winter is kind of stupid), worth every minute!
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.