Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Some questions about Gw2

So, I got this game when it released, haven't really played it much. I think I had a 35ish warrior? I had a couple questions:
    1: When I played (though admittedly I may have just misunderstood) I recall warriors being pretty heavily based on using a gun, which isn't exactly what I signed up for. Is there more room now for say, two handers?

2: Is there any real sort of PvE(endgame) content? or is it Primarily PvP? It's not a huge deal, though I do prefer PvE, PvP isn't bad either, I'd just like to know what i'm getting into.

3: I would like some personal opinions on your favorite classes and why, if you don't mind. Guardian looks really fun with all of the fields and such, but i'm not certain how viable they are, etc... (I loved necro in Gw1, but I'm not certain if they're any good either)

1) warriors were never heavily based around a gun, if anything 2h GS was the most popular

2) Endgame PvE is whatever you find enjoyable, there is dungeons and giant group events and dynamic events and jumping puzzles and etc etc etc. They are all relevant regardless of level.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

10+ Year Old Account
    As far as I know, guns were never a necessary weapon for for warriors. Greatsword was/is the norm.

PvE and PvP are both represented in GW2. If you want "serious", progression based versions of each, this isn't really the right game for that.

My favorite classes are warrior and necromancer. Ranger is fun too.

I recommend posting in an existing "help me" thread.

I played a Necromancer and Mesmer, my account got hacked. And I got it back and my Necro was lvl 80 I played him to 45 myself, and at 80 later on. But at the time Minion UI sicked and they didnt do what they were supposed to. I wanted the feel of a Swarm Necro likein D@, you can have I think 7 minions, but they werent very viable as the minions sisnt do what they were supposed to.

I liked the mesmer gameplay much better, the Melee 2H was fun and very powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    1) warriors were never heavily based around a gun, if anything 2h GS was the most popular

2) Endgame PvE is whatever you find enjoyable, there is dungeons and giant group events and dynamic events and jumping puzzles and etc etc etc. They are all relevant regardless of level.
    Yeah, i'm not looking for anything serious. something relaxed that I can kinda drop into.

As for the guns, then yeah, I misunderstood. I always liked 2h, but everyone I saw was using a gun when I went into pvp, dunno what was up with that.

when the game first came out, the rifle's burst skill Kill Shot was pretty darn powerful. That's probably why you saw a lot of warriors in pvp using it. Plus it was a new game, the meta hadn't been established yet.

1. Warriors have a variety of weapon options.
    2. There is no end game in any of the Guild Wars games
    3. I enjoy Warrior and Ranger the most. Sword/Sword & Rifle Warrior and Greatsword & Longbow Ranger are the options most fun to me. I also play a Sword/Sword Mesmer and Pistol/Shied Engineer every now and then for a change of pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    1. Warriors have a variety of weapon options.
    2. There is no end game in any of the Guild Wars games
    3. I enjoy Warrior and Ranger the most. Sword/Sword & Rifle Warrior and Greatsword & Longbow Ranger are the options most fun to me. I also play a Sword/Sword Mesmer and Pistol/Shied Engineer every now and then for a change of pace.
    Awesome, thanks for the feedback

If I may ask though, with a lack of endgame..what do you do? I remember in GW1 I played a ranger for a bit and it was just me in ranger groups farming underworld (I think it was underworld?) mobs with traps for materials, but once you're at max...do you just pvp? I assume you finish up story quests too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tpyo View Post
    If I may ask though, with a lack of endgame..what do you do? I remember in GW1 I played a ranger for a bit and it was just me in ranger groups farming underworld (I think it was underworld?) mobs with traps for materials, but once you're at max...do you just pvp? I assume you finish up story quests too.
    You do what you want to do. Dungeons, WvW, Fractals, Jumping puzzles, map completion, pet collection, item collections, boss kills, achievement chasing, etc.

I normally go through phases. I will do map completion for a bit and then jump into WvW for a couple of weeks or continue leveling some alts. Jumping puzzles are very addictive too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tpyo View Post
    If I may ask though, with a lack of endgame..what do you do?
    The same things you did before reaching level 80.

The core principle of the entire Guild Wars series is the game is what you make of it. So if it was fun doing events for 79 levels, why would it stop being fun at 80?

I assume you finish up story quests too.
    There are no quests in the game. The Personal Story and Living Story are optional, drop in/drop out narrative devices.

I never finished my personal story. Just stopped.

I took up the Living Story, stopped for a couple of weeks. Started up again.

The game is very free-form. Guild Wars 2 is not a sandbox MMO, but it is like sandbox MMOs in that the gameplay itself is the draw more so than the "rides" of the theme park.

You are suppose to play just for the fun of it.

As said, Warriors use a lot of weapons. My War is built for WvWvW and primarily uses Hammer and Sword/Warhorn, with some Greatsword if I roam.

I play a lot of Mesmer. It's a bit different, though it does hover near the realm of minion master/bomber. The stealth, teleports and glamours are what make Mesmer a little different from your standard minion class.

Engineer is fun to play but difficult to master. If you want to feel a little like the Avatar, Dagger/Dagger Ele is fun.

And there's no bimodal endgame in Guild Wars. You sort of pick what you like doing and do that.

Deleted
    I used almost only 2-handed sword, and it got me to lvl 80. But the great thing about GW2 is the option to change your tactics with different combinations of weapons.

There is no end game in any of the Guild Wars games
    That statement is misleading at best and false at worst.

There is plenty of endgame in GW2 in the sense of "stuff I can do and am only really supposed to do once I hit level 80." Examples would be Fractals, the harder explorable dungeons (that are balanced around being level 80, even if you can enter earlier), the main new level 80 zones Dry Top and the Silverwastes, just to name some of it (there is plenty more than can entertain you for a long time after reaching level 80 but isn't only playable at that level).

There is no hardcore gear-treadmill progression at level 80, though, like in games like World of Warcraft, which is probably what Fencers is referring to.

However, there is plenty of stuff to do once you've hit level 80. I've personally easily sunk a couple hundred hours into the game on my main character after reaching level 80 already and I still have tons more to do - and that's without even touching PvP or WvW (world vs. world).

There is no hardcore gear-treadmill progression at level 80, though, like in games like World of Warcraft, which is probably what Fencers is referring to.
    This is not what I am referencing. By endgame I mean a planned stage of the game before the completion of gameplay goals. As used in the English language.

"Stuff to do" and a designed endgame are not the same thing.

There is no designed endgame in any of the five Guild Wars games as of yet.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2015-01-27 at 03:06 PM.

This is not what I am referencing. By endgame I mean a planned stage of the game before the completion of gameplay goals. As used in the English language.

Agreed. End game implies a new power progression path for max level characters. Jumping puzzles, Fractals and max level zones are just stuff to kill time at level cap.

Quote Originally Posted by TequilaFlavor View Post
    Examples would be Fractals, the harder explorable dungeons (that are balanced around being level 80, even if you can enter earlier), the main new level 80 zones Dry Top and the Silverwastes, just to name some of it (there is plenty more than can entertain you for a long time after reaching level 80 but isn't only playable at that level).
    The thing is when people talk about end-game it means that there is a "pre"-game too. Usually that's leveling/running dungeons and then the end-game is raids which are quite different from what you experience before. Basically the game only starts once you reach max level and thus end-game.
    This inherently doesn't exist in GW/GW2, nothing you listed can't be done before reaching max level so there simply isn't an end-game.
    In most cases, I understand the other side's viewpoint and how they came to it, but cannot tolerate their stubbornness to not see mine (the right one).

The whole "There is no endgame" is marketing bullcrap. :P

You get to max level, you get full exotic gear, you are at endgame. Its just that what you do at endgame doesn't change significiantly from what you do before endgame. You can still do world bosses before and after, though you're going to be more a drag than a help if you try to do teq, 3h worm, or fractals before you're max level and geared.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

We've had this discussion before...

Usually Fencers says "GW2 lacks a bimodal endgame", as in one mode while leveling, one mode when done leveling, which is more accurate without having to get into the talk of what is endgame.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

You'd be surprised to hear that there isn't actually only one, clear-cut answer in the Oxford Dictionary as to what "endgame" in an MMO implies.

For me, doing Fractals and lvl 80 dungeons (the harder explorable paths) is "endgame" based on the definition I provided in the very same post you just quoted, i. e. activities that are only (really) available to you after hitting max level - these activities, btw, also help you progress your character by giving you the easiest access to Exotic gear etc.

So, instead of arguing over semantics, let's just agree that we have different opinion what "endgame" in an MMO implies and leave it at that.

Or we could simply refer to "endgame" as "max level content", which is roughly the same as the leveling process, in a way, but by then you have all the dungeons unlocked. There's some gear progression, but it's not to the point that it's hilarious. Eg. a fresh 80 in green/blue gear (with maybe some rare and exotic stuff) won't do half the dps of a fully exotic/ascended geared character (granted they both have the same stat allocation, aka both in full beserker stat gear), maybe 80ish percent of a full exotic geared toon. Meanwhile a fresh max level character in WoW is a fair bit behind someone kitted out in full raid gear, and that gap only grows larger as the expansion gets older.