10+ Year Old Account

Soul Swap cost idea

I'm not sure if this would be mechanically even possible in the game, even less how it'd be conveyed in a tooltip, but the idea is relatively simple:

First SS is free, it applies a 15s debuff during which it costs a Shard. It would make the spell still very useful for switching, but prevent excessive spamming. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    I'm not sure if this would be mechanically even possible in the game, even less how it'd be conveyed in a tooltip, but the idea is relatively simple:

First SS is free, it applies a 15s debuff during which it costs a Shard. It would make the spell still very useful for switching, but prevent excessive spamming. Just a thought.
    It's possible, I'm pretty sure. It's a good idea, but too far into the road to discuss it now, maybe after 6.2

10+ Year Old Account
    Next expansion. It is written.

Edit: By the time you see any changes; I mean.
    #SargerasIsComingToSaveUs

Deleted
    Affliction should be the king of multi-dotting (cuz guess what, the spec is all about DoTs) and without snapshotting it's not really OP to be spamming Soul Swap a lá SoO. So I don't get why SS needs to cost a Soul Shard. The easiest way to fix it is to just remove the cost on SS and the spell will be relevant again without making it OP.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the cost of 2 GCDs is enough, especially without snapshotting.

They pretty much totally overdid the Affliction nerf. It's the Blizzard balancing roller coaster: let something be OP for way too long, then nerf it into the ground way more than it ever needed.

Removal of snapshotting is all Affliction needed. Instead, they took the nerf bat to every single aspect of the spec, putting it in a wheelchair.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elodeon View Post
    They pretty much totally overdid the Affliction nerf. It's the Blizzard balancing roller coaster: let something be OP for way too long, then nerf it into the ground way more than it ever needed.

Removal of snapshotting is all Affliction needed. Instead, they took the nerf bat to every single aspect of the spec, putting it in a wheelchair.
    It has its fights. Regardless, it isn't anywhere near as powerful as some specs. I agree. 500% more effort to keep shit rolling strong; where as others merely apply face to keyboard and win. I'm not saying this is bad, I'm just wanting a paycheck for working harder.
    #SargerasIsComingToSaveUs

Honestly I would just be happy if they changed it to only use a shard on the exhale. That or just buff the duration you can hold the dots to like 10 seconds or something. 4 seconds is just to short especially when 1-1.5 of that is tied into a GCD.

Quote Originally Posted by Harsesis View Post
    Honestly I would just be happy if they changed it to only use a shard on the exhale. That or just buff the duration you can hold the dots to like 10 seconds or something. 4 seconds is just to short especially when 1-1.5 of that is tied into a GCD.
    Isn't there a glyph that lets you hold it for 30 seconds? I actually enjoy the current iteration of affliction, because it actually feels like affliction again. The mop variant was pretty horrible in many regards.

The problem with multi dotting is so much of our damage is tied into Drain Soul and Haunt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyDotter View Post
    Isn't there a glyph that lets you hold it for 30 seconds? I actually enjoy the current iteration of affliction, because it actually feels like affliction again. The mop variant was pretty horrible in many regards.

The problem with multi dotting is so much of our damage is tied into Drain Soul and Haunt.
    The mop variant was like the most fluid spec they ever had in the game. Small amount of core abilities but complex interaction between said abilities and very high skill ceiling while not being overwhelming to new players. Current model of affliction can be played by a vegetable and they'll do almost as well as a top player if they keep their dots up and don't cap shards. It's actually hilarious to me that something like that went live.

There is but a glyph shouldn't have that much impact on a spell like that. The idea with the slightly longer hold time is that you don't feel that you need to exhale immediately. Increasing the hold duration to 10 sec (heck even 8 sec) would still give the glyph a place but make Soul Swap less cumbersome.

Imo the fix is simple, either give it a cooldown like it had in cata, or put it on a charge system like conflag or hog. Oh and obviously remove soulburn > soulswap or make it do something else entirely.

OR alternatively, completely redesign the spell into something completely different since they don't seem to like us using anything that makes us not hard cast our dots individually.
    Last edited by Baconeggcheese; 2015-01-27 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    Oh and obviously remove soulburn > soulswap or make it do something else entirely.
    I would just remove anything-Soulburn, except for Haunt.

The cataclysm version of soul-swap was the perfect iteration of the spell imo.

They should just bring back the old soulswap glyph with a slight fix like this, adds a 30 sec cd to soul swap but removes the soul shard cost.

This would also prevent SB :SS abuse coz it would be incurring the cooldown.

Tbh, I would say giving back 30 sec SS or removing SS entirely are probably the best options in comparison to the current iteration of the spell which stands on the border of clunkiness.
    Last edited by wholol; 2015-01-27 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by striderZA View Post
    I would just remove anything-Soulburn, except for Haunt.
    No I'd love that to be gone too, hate that talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Leyl View Post
    I agree. 500% more effort to keep shit rolling strong; where as others merely apply face to keyboard and win. I'm not saying this is bad, I'm just wanting a paycheck for working harder.
    yep it takes me my full 98-99% uptime to do what others do with like 80 heres proof.

https : / / www . warcraftlogs . com / reports / GnR9XLhdfmMg8ycF / # type=summary&fight=49 " ] Plz not i cant post links yet so just copy and past every bit

Quote Originally Posted by Afflictionme View Post
    yep it takes me my full 98-99% uptime to do what others do with like 80 heres proof.

https : / / www . warcraftlogs . com / reports / GnR9XLhdfmMg8ycF / # type=summary&fight=49 " ] Plz not i cant post links yet so just copy and past every bit
    Don't use demonic servitude then complain about dps.

The difference for me between servitude and soulburn haunt is 25k dps (serv) to 30k dps (sb: haunt).
    Last edited by DirtyDotter; 2015-01-29 at 05:19 PM.