Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Downloading it at home while I'm at the office - cannot wait to get back and try it tonight.

Been meaning to play this for a while, but never got around to it, so I went and bought it around launch, and have been playing through it slowly since then.

I gotta say, man, is this game slow. It really, really needs a way to speed up in-game time. It takes my destroyers fucking 10 minutes to go from my othership to the enemy, and, man, when I captured that enemy cruiser, I literally went to eat dinner, came back, and it still hadn't reached my mothership for refitting. Then I ordered it to fly to the enemy lines, set my resource collectors to collect whatever resources were left, and went to do something else again for another 15 minutes because there was literally nothing to do but watch the backgrounds, which, while they're nice, get boring after doing nothing but watch them for half-a-fucking hour.

I also feel kind of invincible. Salvage corvettes are overpowered as fuck. I can't even build cruisers yet, but I have two of them already. You'd think that massive capital ship, which obliterates my destroyers like they're made of paper, would be able to defend itself from half a dozen unarmed corvettes, but nope. Just send in a few distractions for it to shoot at and they make it there just fine. Half my fleet is made up of enemy ships at this point, and I'm sitting on some 30.000 RU that I can't even spend because I'm at the cap.

The only mission that was remotely difficult was that fucking annoying asteroid one, which I entered with nothing but a bombing fleet at my disposal (and my salvage corvettes along with a few captured ion frigates that didn't do shit to the asteroids for some reason). Guess what all my fucking bombers did when I told them to go bomb the sateroids? Fucking fly right into them, all committing unintentional kamikaze. My mothership barely survived, and it took me 3 attempts before I finally made it. Then at the next level I had to fight of instant enemy attacks with no RUs and no ships. Luckily, their pathetic fighters were utterly incapable of dealing with the destroyers I had built to destroy the asteriods. X number of destroyers + 2-3 healing corvettes > infinite amount of swarmers, apparently.

Overall, the campaign has some really fucking weird mission variety. I kinda like it, though, but it sure could've done without that asterioud level with the incredibly shitty pathing of the units in the game, and it really needs a speed up button. Like, really. A lot.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Simulacrum View Post
    Been meaning to play this for a while, but never got around to it, so I went and bought it around launch, and have been playing through it slowly since then.

I gotta say, man, is this game slow. It really, really needs a way to speed up in-game time. It takes my destroyers fucking 10 minutes to go from my othership to the enemy, and, man, when I captured that enemy cruiser, I literally went to eat dinner, came back, and it still hadn't reached my mothership for refitting. Then I ordered it to fly to the enemy lines, set my resource collectors to collect whatever resources were left, and went to do something else again for another 15 minutes because there was literally nothing to do but watch the backgrounds, which, while they're nice, get boring after doing nothing but watch them for half-a-fucking hour.

I also feel kind of invincible. Salvage corvettes are overpowered as fuck. I can't even build cruisers yet, but I have two of them already. You'd think that massive capital ship, which obliterates my destroyers like they're made of paper, would be able to defend itself from half a dozen unarmed corvettes, but nope. Just send in a few distractions for it to shoot at and they make it there just fine. Half my fleet is made up of enemy ships at this point, and I'm sitting on some 30.000 RU that I can't even spend because I'm at the cap.

The only mission that was remotely difficult was that fucking annoying asteroid one, which I entered with nothing but a bombing fleet at my disposal (and my salvage corvettes along with a few captured ion frigates that didn't do shit to the asteroids for some reason). Guess what all my fucking bombers did when I told them to go bomb the sateroids? Fucking fly right into them, all committing unintentional kamikaze. My mothership barely survived, and it took me 3 attempts before I finally made it. Then at the next level I had to fight of instant enemy attacks with no RUs and no ships. Luckily, their pathetic fighters were utterly incapable of dealing with the destroyers I had built to destroy the asteriods. X number of destroyers + 2-3 healing corvettes > infinite amount of swarmers, apparently.

Overall, the campaign has some really fucking weird mission variety. I kinda like it, though, but it sure could've done without that asterioud level with the incredibly shitty pathing of the units in the game, and it really needs a speed up button. Like, really. A lot.
    Hahahah. Well they made Homeworld 2 a lot faster. So much faster that the game was nigh unplayable at launch because the AI was spitting and shitting all over players until it got nerfed in a patch. Even I must confess that I never got past mission 3 of H2 before the patch. After that I lost my taste for it and didn't care about the patch.

kinda something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CatSUg0KyAM
    Last edited by mmoc9121972991; 2015-03-02 at 01:23 PM.

So... bugs, you say? I guess I'll wait for a discount then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

Cata had the speed up function which Hw2 and 1 don't. As for the asteroid mission you should dock all your fighters and bombers and used assault/ion frigs destroyers and any cruiser you may have to take them down. Using the ctrl and dragging a box over the roids makes it easier. Your ships should thus avoid being blown up as capitals always try to maintain some distance between their targets.

As for a cruiser being unable to protect it self from fighters/corvettes they can't just like IRL with battle ships being torn apart from fighter/bombers in ww2. Same method applies to this You have to use the right ships etc. You're right on the swarmers, just use destroyers and frigates and you win. Just wait until the next mission after them

One last thing dont bother harvesting all the asteroids. You get the money collected at the end of every level now. So no need to spend ages farming.

Quote Originally Posted by khalltusk View Post
    As for the asteroid mission you should dock all your fighters and bombers and used assault/ion frigs destroyers and any cruiser you may have to take them down. Using the ctrl and dragging a box over the roids makes it easier. Your ships should thus avoid being blown up as capitals always try to maintain some distance between their targets.
    I didn't know there were going to be asteroids, though. I thought myself clever, having spent almost all my RU building 40 bombers and 30 interceptors to compliment my few salvage corvettes and stolen frigates, thinking myself ready for anything that would come my way the next mission, not knowing that all my ships would not only be totally useless the next mission, but that I would have no warning and zero time to prepare for what was coming. I had to sacrifice them all to give myself enough time to build ships that could destroy the asteroids

One last thing dont bother harvesting all the asteroids. You get the money collected at the end of every level now. So no need to spend ages farming.
    Oh, I didn't realize that, thanks!
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

I didn't know there were going to be asteroids, though. I thought myself clever, having spent almost all my RU building 40 bombers and 30 interceptors to compliment my few salvage corvettes and stolen frigates, thinking myself ready for anything that would come my way the next mission, not knowing that all my ships would not only be totally useless the next mission, but that I would have no warning and zero time to prepare for what was coming. I had to sacrifice them all to give myself enough time to build ships that could destroy the asteroids

Oh, I didn't realize that, thanks!
    NP

As a rule I used to always go to the launch menu "L" and ensure Stay docked was on. I would manually launch my ships once the intro bit of the mission was done. I have seen in Hw1 that this might not carry over to the next mission. But its worth ensuring when you get all your ships to dock at the end to go to the launch menu and ensure auto dockings off. Saves your ass in some later missions.

In HW2 there used to be a scaling system. If you had a large fleet the game would ensure your next mission had LOADS more enemy ships to fight (sometimes as many as 8 battle cruisers to fight when your limit is 2). Some people cheesed it by selling all their ships at the end of the previous mission so they faced fewer ships. I preferred to do it the stupid way and try and win those fights instead. Made some hard as hell fleet battles.

In MP you can hyper space jump your battle cruisers carriers etc. So if youre good you can dock fighters/corvs into a battle cruiser on a hw2 ship jump it into an enemies carrier/harvester line wreck it and if any fighters turned up you had yours docked and ready to counter them.

Sadly for your asteroid mission fighters love crashing into the space rocks =[

Deleted
    NP

As a rule I used to always go to the launch menu "L" and ensure Stay docked was on. I would manually launch my ships once the intro bit of the mission was done. I have seen in Hw1 that this might not carry over to the next mission. But its worth ensuring when you get all your ships to dock at the end to go to the launch menu and ensure auto dockings off. Saves your ass in some later missions.

In HW2 there used to be a scaling system. If you had a large fleet the game would ensure your next mission had LOADS more enemy ships to fight (sometimes as many as 8 battle cruisers to fight when your limit is 2). Some people cheesed it by selling all their ships at the end of the previous mission so they faced fewer ships. I preferred to do it the stupid way and try and win those fights instead. Made some hard as hell fleet battles.

In MP you can hyper space jump your battle cruisers carriers etc. So if youre good you can dock fighters/corvs into a battle cruiser on a hw2 ship jump it into an enemies carrier/harvester line wreck it and if any fighters turned up you had yours docked and ready to counter them.

Sadly for your asteroid mission fighters love crashing into the space rocks =[
    Is the scaling not there now?

Was fun editing the save file to have crazy ass huge fleet, then the game would set the enemy fleet size to compensate, then you would have crazy battles with 100's of ships lol

10+ Year Old Account
    I have played the originals LONG LONG ago.
    Installed today the re-mastered ones.
    FEELS GREAT!