Page 2 of 74 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    let me guess, black coloured none shade of white people got offended? what a fucking surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Manataurus View Post

They might if it was a black only organization, but since it isn't, wellll......
    Again... posting directly from their website....

"In 1909, the NAACP commenced what has become its legacy of fighting legal battles to win social justice for African-Americans and indeed, for all Americans. The most significant of these battles were fought and won under the leadership of Charles Hamilton Houston and his student and protégée, Thurgood Marshall."

"Today, NAACP attorneys are still challenging racial discrimination whether it appears in the guise of corporate hotel policies that discriminate against African-American college students, voting disenfranchisement during national presidential elections or state sponsored symbols of white supremacy, such as the confederate battle flag. The NAACP's Legal Department focuses on class actions and other cases of broad significance in areas including employment, education, housing, environmental justice, criminal law and voting, striving always, to advance the Association's goals while remembering Charles Hamilton Houston's admonition that "[A] lawyer is either a social engineer or a parasite on society.""

Yes they do represent varied races and causes but you can read where their primary focus lies.

I read the story about Benedict Cumberbatch earlier today and, ugh, I think it's just sad how easily "offended" people claim to be.

Deleted
    I think people that aren't black shouldn't be deciding whether this is offensive or not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    The way language evolves, terms are used to be PC while avoiding trying to use offensive terms. But after several years or decades of that term being used via tongue in cheek insults, it becomes a new slur itself. It's the evolution of language.
    I was going to post something like this but you beat me to it. I will add that this is one of the main reasons I hate PC lingo. It requires me to constantly "keep up on the times" so to speak of what words are and are not offensive. I personally focus on not being a shitlord bigot, and that should be everyone's focus as well I think. I don't want to be thrown under the public withchunt bus if I say something that someone else finds offensive when I in no way, shape, or form meant to be offensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I do not have enough hands to apply enough palms to my face.

Deleted
    we could call them "white people who are not quite as white as other white people"

or we could tell them to shut up and deal with it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    People need to STFU more about what offends them.
    People should also learn to keep their mouths closed in certain situations. Facebook is a good one because people don't know they can be tracked right to their home or their places of business. We just lost an engineer not too long ago because he thought making sexual comments to a woman on social media wouldn't hurt him. Well he didn't set his privacy settings and the woman was able to track his place of employment, Google Search the EEO phone number, and report him by e-mailing a screen shot of the conversation. Always nice to piss away a six figure job because you have to be right on the Internet.

I know it's unrelated to the actual topic but for what it's worth many Companies do have an Ethics Standard you have to adhere to even while not on Company Time. Sometimes just shutting up is the best policy even if you think it's harmless.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Therionn View Post
    I think people that aren't black shouldn't be deciding whether this is offensive or not.
    I mostly agree, but I do not speak for my demographic as a whole, you know? No one really does. If I'm offended by a slur to my ethnicity, whose to say anyone else is?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I do not have enough hands to apply enough palms to my face.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokru View Post
    In my eyes colored is way more polite than black. What else could he have said? African American somehow doesn't work when he talks about British actors. Never heard of African British. So what possibilities remain? Colored, Black, N***, dark-skinned? Colored seems the best way to go...
    African-American is a funny term for me. There are literally Caucasians that are way more African than the average African-American. :P

Being offended about something seems to only serve to escalate the issue beyond itself.

And being offended isn't a valid reason anymore than saying something sucks cause you don't like it.

So fucking what?
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

15+ Year Old Account
    The pot calling the kettle black.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrgannus View Post
    I mostly agree, but I do not speak for my demographic as a whole, you know? No one really does. If I'm offended by a slur to my ethnicity, whose to say anyone else is?
    It's the same with the the Top Gear "slope" incident. The only countries that were complaining about it were the US and Australia. As far as I read not a single Asian Country gave a shit :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    'Colored' is not outdated or racist. It fits perfectly with the rest of the words we use for black people - including 'black.' Benedict Cumberbatch shouldn't feel bad at all.
    but what if black in your language sounds like negro?
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    Then I will collect all them negro tears, bottle them up and sell them to the highest bidder.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    sensationalism at its best. leave it to the media/internet to blow something out of proportion.

10+ Year Old Account
    I look to my patron saint George Carlin when people get their panties in a twist about language.

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    It could be worse. You could be an Austrian bodybuilder turned actor with Blacknigger as your surname. I know that's not what it means if someone chooses to get their panties in a twist over this.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I guess I'll care about their feelings of someone calling them Black or Coloured when I'm not referred to as White.

Since I'm more of a biege.

Too many overly pretentious fucktards that get offended by everything and love to play the race card.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    It could be worse. You could be an Austrian bodybuilder turned actor with Blacknigger as your surname. I know that's not what it means if someone chooses to get their panties in a twist over this.
    Your response reminds me of this
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

People need to learn to not take themselves or their race so seriously. It's just a coincidence of genetics what color your skin is, it's not something you earn, it's something that simply is and it is in no way a reflection upon yourself as a human being.

If you are offended by Cumberbatch saying "coloured", why not laugh it off and make light of the fact that his accent is funny and his name is CUMBERBATCH! If you feel jabbed, jab back and get people laughing instead of complaining.

The world would be a much better place if folks would just develop thicker skin and a sense of humor ~_~
    ~RAWR!

WOOOH DAILYMAIL

A completely un biased credible and factual source. Good job OP.