Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Source? This is what I've been trying to say. The news media went wild with a story that seems to have many different sides. Fact is that we don't know exactly what happened. If you have a source that says he deserted/AWOL. Stop believing the propaganda they are feeding you and go search for real answers. I see no sources posted, but yet everyone is making statements as truth.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    He left a Military compound in Afghanistan without authorisation, thats dereliction of duty and desertion at the very minimum and treason at its worst.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you have an alternative explanation as to what happened to him?
    In a world of deceit, open your eyes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GGA1759 View Post
    Source? This is what I've been trying to say. The news media went wild with a story that seems to have many different sides. Fact is that we don't know exactly what happened. If you have a source that says he deserted/AWOL. Stop believing the propaganda they are feeding you and go search for real answers. I see no sources posted, but yet everyone is making statements as truth.
    So which propaganda/source would you like us to believe?
    You're a towel.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    He could also say he was experiencing acute anxiety unrelated to combat, say he was feeling suicidal, see a doctor, and be home in a month most likely.

Which is scumbaggy as hell, but a lot less then abandoning his post in a warzone.
    Sure, there are countless ways to get out of deployments and most Soldiers know of more than a few. What Bergdahl did was baffling and goes far beyond not wanting to fight, he left a secure compound knowing that the people waiting for him were likely to torture then behead him on the internet, I honestly would love to read the psychologists reports on the guy.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you want to give us an alternative?

10+ Year Old Account
    So which propaganda/source would you like us to believe?
    Well we could have a trial, with evidence and sworn testimony. Sure it sounds like a crazy left wing idea, but it just may work.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

15+ Year Old Account
    The draft hasn't existed for a long, long time in the US.

And no, your oath does not change because you are in a combat zone.
    Their oath doesn't change, but their mindset did, especially when there was the draft, and the military knows there will always be a percentage of people that will desert, it's a part of war.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Well we could have a trial, with evidence and sworn testimony. Sure it sounds like a crazy left wing idea, but it just may work.
    Considering I am the one that has said since the Op that a trial is the only way to know what happened...

The people serving there with him have said what they think happened. I believe them, considering they all say the same thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    Their oath doesn't change, but their mindset did, especially when there was the draft, and the military knows there will always be a percentage of people that will desert, it's a part of war.
    IT does not apply in this case, as he was certainly not drafted.

He has NO excuse for a "Changed mindset" because he was sent to a war zone. None. He joined the army, not the peace corps.
    You're a towel.

Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    What mindset supposedly changes. I dont understand this at all, my mindset wasnt a whole hell of alot different from before i got to afghanistan and the moment I hit the runway in Kabul. I personally hold no illusions about what goes on over there and what we are asked to do and I dont know anyone that i ever worked with that could be considered an ignorant sheep. Most the military doesnt believe we are doing anything for the good of america over there but we are told to do it so we did it anyway. You can file as a conscientious objector if you really have that big a problem, you get coded non deployable, then get your general discharge.

15+ Year Old Account
    Considering I am the one that has said since the Op that a trial is the only way to know what happened...

The people serving there with him have said what they think happened. I believe them, considering they all say the same thing.

- - - Updated - - -

IT does not apply in this case, as he was certainly not drafted.

He has NO excuse for a "Changed mindset" because he was sent to a war zone. None. He joined the army, not the peace corps.
    It doesn't matter if you think he had no excuse, he still deserted, because he didn't want to do whatever he was doing in Afghanistan. It happens, and the military responds accordingly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Makina View Post
    What mindset supposedly changes. I dont understand this at all, my mindset wasnt a whole hell of alot different from before i got to afghanistan and the moment I hit the runway in Kabul. I personally hold no illusions about what goes on over there and what we are asked to do and I dont know anyone that i ever worked with that could be considered an ignorant sheep. Most the military doesnt believe we are doing anything for the good of america over there but we are told to do it so we did it anyway. You can file as a conscientious objector if you really have that big a problem, you get coded non deployable, then get your general discharge.
    He probably didn't want to wait, or face his company's soldiers. He might have a mental problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

I already posted one. But enjoy this conversation since most of you seem to know it all.
    Have a nice day.
    In a world of deceit, open your eyes.

I honestly thought he should be charged with treason, but the burden of proof on that is probably a lot higher, and as far as I know, their is no proof that he did anything other then desert to hurt his country.
    Treason has EXTREMELY explicit rules for being charged with it (Its actually defined in the constitution, i'm not sure if the UCMJ has its own definition but I believe it doesn't).You have to have 2 witnesses to a single overt act.

Espionage/Sedition/Dereliction/desertion are much easier to prove.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmeebs View Post
    Treason has EXTREMELY explicit rules for being charged with it (Its actually defined in the constitution, i'm not sure if the UCMJ has its own definition but I believe it doesn't).You have to have 2 witnesses to a single overt act.

Espionage/Sedition/Dereliction/desertion are much easier to prove.
    This is true. And if he is found guilty, he should be thankful WW2 was not going on or he would be shot. The only reason the Army has been dragging this case out so long is because of political pressure to do just that.

He could always refuse to Soldier, yes he would face prison time and a DD but how is that different to his current situation?
    Couldn't he just assault an officer and get DD, instead of desertion? I don't know which is worse.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Couldn't he just assault an officer and get DD, instead of desertion? I don't know which is worse.
    Refusing to Soldier is probably easier, less prison time and it is guaranteed you will be out of the Forces in weeks/months.

Refusing to Soldier is probably easier, less prison time and it is guaranteed you will be out of the Forces in weeks/months.
    Yeah but how bad ass would you be if asked why you got DD? "I punched my commanding officer in the face!" "I refused to soldier..."

Plus in all the movies the guys who punched their officers get the cool black ops jobs. Dirty Dozen style. Seems like a win win.

10+ Year Old Account
    I already posted one. But enjoy this conversation since most of you seem to know it all.
    Have a nice day.
    You mean the source that contradicts itself throughout? The one that lists at the end "The official investigation shows everything we just said is wrong and speculative to try to make Bowe seem like a good guy!"
    You're a towel.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...ls-say-n294466

Punishment may be deferred due to his years of being a PoW, but he will most likely lose his substantial amount of back pay, and benefits.

"According to one senior official, Bergdahl's actions in Afghanistan go well beyond the lesser offense of AWOL, absent without leave, because he allegedly abandoned his post "in the middle of a combat zone, potentially putting the lives of his fellows soldiers at risk.""

I know that their is a lot of hubbub about "Why did we trade prisoners for this guy again"?? but I see it like this:

1. We are a nation of laws. He violated the UCMJ, which led to his being a PoW, but we still have the duty to get any and all troops that are interned free.

2. Though I think we got somewhat hoodwinked into giving up a lot more then we should have, Gitmo is not really on my "Number one" fan list, and those people were never charged with a crime, holding them that long without trying them is simply not what our government should be doing.

3. IF we were to just say "Oh well he was a possibly criminal, let him rot in the POW camp!" it sends a rather poor message to our troops, and again, we are a nation of laws. It is not fitting to just say "Well, we should just leave him there!" as his punishment, with no trial.
    I'm not really all that convinced he was a 'prisoner' in any meaningful sense after a few weeks or months; I think there's a pretty decent chance he became at the least a sympathizer and his contribution to the noble cause of mumbledyfuck was as prisoner-swap bait. Hence his return to the US carrying the air of a conquering hero, because he had "liberated" five fellow travelers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes it was Wikipedia, but his page states that his fellow squad members said he had mailed his laptop and personal affects back home before deserting. If that turned out to be true it's pretty damning in my opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    We gave up people we refused to give a trial to in exchange for someone we are. I'm OK with that.
    Sad that when you put it that way it makes me feel better about this. And if you want to get morbid about it, we also increased the chances of bombing the ones we released.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    Sad that when you put it that way it makes me feel better about this. And if you want to get morbid about it, we also increased the chances of bombing the ones we released.
    Yes, it is nice when it is put that way. Still think the price was to high; if we wanted to get rid of the prisoners, why not charge them with something, or just let them go?
    You're a towel.

I don't think there is any other evidence besides what his letters and his ex team members stated. He is guilty and hopefully he will face capitol punishment for his crime.