Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Well see that is just what I don't get, if it isn't really time travel, because events leading up to the original events changed, but it sort of is time travel in the way, that things have changed....

This is why I personally don't like time travel, whether it is going back in time, or now some alternative universe, because it gets too convoluted, and keep in mind, I am not opposed to some fantasy, I mean we are talking about World of Warcraft here. The problem is that it simply makes no sense.
    Try to look at it this way: It is time travel, in the sense that we are going back in time - the Draenor that we are visiting is 35 years into the past. If Garrosh hadn't gone back there, it would be identical to our Draenor, 35 years into the past. Because Garrosh did go back there, it is different to our Draenor, so it's also a different universe/timeline.

I will give you an example, remember that fight between Garrosh and The Panda Dude, we all seen him die right, I mean, it was kind of sad, at least I was sad, I thought he was dead, I remember him uttering what I thought were his last words, and I thought wow this Garrosh dude is really crazy.

Then all of a sudden, we see him later after the events with a bandage around his chest, WTF!
    I agree that using time travel to undo death trivialises death, absolutely. If anyone can be brought back, it negates the emotional response that death evokes - under normal circumstances, that person is gone forever and you'll never see them again. It's not unusual to form emotional attachments to fictional characters, and when they die it can be pretty upsetting... But if they're subsequently brought back, and especially if this becomes commonplace, it cheapens their death. The emotional impact becomes dulled.

Similarly, if Garrosh went around opening a portal to an Alternative Universe in order to bring Orcs back to dominance, then why not open another one?

Get my point?

Same goes for all the other details, well I guess if there is an alternative timeline to bring the Warlords back, we can just open another and bring the dragonflight back, along with Ner'zhul and everybody else?
    I suppose, technically, if another member of the Bronze Dragonflight (or any sufficiently powerful member of Silvermoon's Magisterium, the Sunreavers, the Kirin Tor, or the Timewalkers, etc) created another Vision of Time, that would be possible. But that was no small feat, and remember, if you've followed the Legendary Ring questline, you'll discover that Kairozdormu was quite possibly either corrupted, or intentionally trying to bring about the Infinite Dragonflight once again. But it would be a massive undertaking and, unlike Kairozdormu's efforts, would probably be actively opposed by players and other factions. It's also contingent on the Timeless Isle, lorewise (as opposed to gameplay-wise), not disappearing again.

If that is true then time really doesn't exist thus negating any possibility you were able to go back or someone else forward in time.
    I know this post wasn't in response to mine, but I'm not quite sure I follow you here.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord Booty View Post
    Time travel and AU rules are built and established in the medium that it is living in. As someone else said, you need both for them to be relevant. If you go back 10 minutes, this timeline is still going on and will not change, the one you just went back to is a new one. Each and every time.

You can't say Gary going back to another AU and doing something will change anything at all in his old one, unless he were lucky enough to land back into it. People saying those AU characters don't matter, they very much do, since there is NO saying you will ever get back to your own AU ever. OR be able to hop to another one. Your reality is what you see in front of you, right meow.
    That depends on whether or not you were always going to go back in time, which can't be certain. If you did go back 10 minutes in time, in the multiverse-time-travel setting you're describing, several alternate realities would be created - there is one where you never travelled back in time, one where you did travel back in time and the universe kept going without you, and the one created when you arrived at your temporal destination, 10 minutes into the past. You create a branch at the point where you leave, and inevitably change things in both - it cannot be positively determined whether you were meant to continue to exist at that point in time or not.

Man, I love time travel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    Didn't help that he had Sky Admiral Warcrimes McEvillaugh flying his airship for him.
    hi im tydrane from dranasuss

That's how I see it, myself. Going back in time in YOUR timeline, instantly creates a new timeline. Your presense, doing nothing but taking one breathe, changes everything. Every decision creates a timeline. All I know is what is happening this moment. I'm me, making me the most important person in my universe, in my timeline.
    You know that doesn't make for great story telling, since it is usually about *other* people

Quote Originally Posted by Steamwheedle View Post
    Try to look at it this way: It is time travel, in the sense that we are going back in time - the Draenor that we are visiting is 35 years into the past. If Garrosh hadn't gone back there, it would be identical to our Draenor, 35 years into the past. Because Garrosh did go back there, it is different to our Draenor, so it's also a different universe/timeline.
    Just quoting this part, since people keep saying this, and it's totally wrong.

AU Draenor was allready different before Garrosh arrived. Grom's wife was allready dead without having a son. Nerzhul's wife is still alive. Even if Garrosh and kairoz had never gone there, everything would still have happened very different from our Draenor, since the legion couldn't trick Nerzhul by pretending to be the spirit of his wife.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's how I see it, myself. Going back in time in YOUR timeline, instantly creates a new timeline. Your presense, doing nothing but taking one breathe, changes everything. Every decision creates a timeline. All I know is what is happening this moment. I'm me, making me the most important person in my universe, in my timeline.

Ok let me go Terminator paradox thing here for a moment.

If John Conner was born, because John Conner sent his dad back in time to get his mom pregnant, then at some point there had to be a starting point, meaning John's dad wasn't really his dad, OR that the time line is a fixed non linear thing, in which case your hypothesis would be correct.

The problem is however if that is the case, time really doesn't exist, and in essence nothing ever said or done is actually ever happening anyways.

There is no such thing as YOUR timeline or my timeline, and in if there is a multiverse then what assurances are there that what is going on in another universe, has anything to do with this one?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Steamwheedle View Post

I agree that using time travel to undo death trivialises death, absolutely. If anyone can be brought back, it negates the emotional response that death evokes - under normal circumstances, that person is gone forever and you'll never see them again. It's not unusual to form emotional attachments to fictional characters, and when they die it can be pretty upsetting... But if they're subsequently brought back, and especially if this becomes commonplace, it cheapens their death. The emotional impact becomes dulled.

I suppose, technically, if another member of the Bronze Dragonflight (or any sufficiently powerful member of Silvermoon's Magisterium, the Sunreavers, the Kirin Tor, or the Timewalkers, etc) created another Vision of Time, that would be possible. But that was no small feat, and remember, if you've followed the Legendary Ring questline, you'll discover that Kairozdormu was quite possibly either corrupted, or intentionally trying to bring about the Infinite Dragonflight once again. But it would be a massive undertaking and, unlike Kairozdormu's efforts, would probably be actively opposed by players and other factions. It's also contingent on the Timeless Isle, lorewise (as opposed to gameplay-wise), not disappearing again.

I know this post wasn't in response to mine, but I'm not quite sure I follow you here.

- - - Updated - - -

That depends on whether or not you were always going to go back in time, which can't be certain. If you did go back 10 minutes in time, in the multiverse-time-travel setting you're describing, several alternate realities would be created - there is one where you never travelled back in time, one where you did travel back in time and the universe kept going without you, and the one created when you arrived at your temporal destination, 10 minutes into the past. You create a branch at the point where you leave, and inevitably change things in both - it cannot be positively determined whether you were meant to continue to exist at that point in time or not.

Man, I love time travel.

I think time travel just like alternative universes, are just as bad as making sequels for a story that has run it's course. Here in the U.S we are GOOD for that, over in the U.K for example, a couple of series I have watched always surprised me that an entire season was like 8 to 13 episodes, vs like 18 to 24 here.

And I can tell you that the over all quality, is noticeable. Don't get me wrong, I love a season of 24 Episodes, when there is a story to tell, but one of the ways you KNOW a U.S series is running out of ideas, is they do the FLASH BACK episodes!

Think of it as an Alternative Time line kind of thing, the writers can't make one more episode about whatever they rehash, they will do a flashback.

I think Alternative Time Lines can sometimes just be a cheap way of doing this same thing, I know the WOD isn't exactly told yet, but for all the reasons I mentioned it, I am generally not a fan of the Vehicle.

Sure it can be an interesting way to carry a story and take it from one point to another, but it gets sticky, it gets convoluted, and it can create more problems than it solves. IF Blizzard doesn't complete this story in a way that makes sense, then the journey over all is going to be in question, because going forward, like you pointed out, with bringing someone back to life that was killed off.

That to me is what sets stories and writing apart, Good writing is telling a story that needs to be told, Bad writing is telling the same story and saying "Wouldn't it be interesting if this happened for just because"

Like I said J.J Abrams Lost, I didn't even watch it,but from what I understand with the ending being they were all dead from the start, kind of seems dishonest, and cheap!
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    terminator 5 is not an alternate universe. they changed time, something the series did multiple times even in its first movie, just this time theyre changing it earlier.

xenoverse is again changing time.

theres a difference between time travel and alternate universes. wod makes use of both.
    Except that by changing the timeline in the first place the new universe becomes the original one thus removing the need to go back in time and change it in the first place.
    This is why I hate time traveling stories, they're full of paradoxes and irrationality.

Deleted
    Skipped thread BUT alternative universes/timelines are one of Sci-Fi's oldest tricks

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Skipped thread BUT alternative universes/timelines are one of Sci-Fi's oldest tricks
    Along with doppelganger drama.. that is even worse imho, that is the point where I aks in forums where I need to skip to in order to avoid the pointless plot device of a filler episode.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Along with doppelganger drama.. that is even worse imho, that is the point where I aks in forums where I need to skip to in order to avoid the pointless plot device of a filler episode.
    You must absolutely hate The Vampire Diaries then.

Quote Originally Posted by Undead Puppy View Post
    You must absolutely hate The Vampire Diaries then.
    Can't even remember if I've seen that. Last vampire thingy I watched was True Blood.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Along with doppelganger drama..
    vampire diaries does doppelganger to the endth degree. theres like heaps of them running around, it got kind of stupid.
    Hi

10+ Year Old Account
    After Bioshock Infinite, I have a hard time liking other time travel stories... It raised my standard too high, I guess. /fanboydetected

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    She's not the worst character out there but I loathe her simply because they killed off a certain other draenei simply to fuel her story.
    In the light...

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    You cared enough to post.

hasnt it always been that way?

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok let me go Terminator paradox thing here for a moment.
    If John Conner was born, because John Conner sent his dad back in time to get his mom pregnant, then at some point there had to be a starting point, meaning John's dad wasn't really his dad, OR that the time line is a fixed non linear thing, in which case your hypothesis would be correct.

The problem is however if that is the case, time really doesn't exist, and in essence nothing ever said or done is actually ever happening anyways.
    And THIS is exactly why I do not believe in a god, the gods etc. Assuming the basic American religions that seem to worship the same thing, but for whatever reason do it differently. Their "god" created everything blah blah, what was she doing before she created everything? And what created her? And then what created the thing that created her? Same concept.

Essentially, it had to have happened once in order to get to the point of being able to go back to change things.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    vampire diaries does doppelganger to the endth degree. theres like heaps of them running around, it got kind of stupid.
    I stopped watching when they introduced the 15th Elena etc I was... semi-ok with the Elena/Katherine thing, after that, it really ruined the entire show.

I like that logic ^

I find the WoW version to be idiotic. Let me jump timelines to fine the one where Mila Kunis is single, and working at a coffee shop, completely undiscovered.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================