Thread: keto diet

Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    Feeling a little weak, and my mood isn't good. Still, not too bad, totally dealable.

I'm going to try to add more olive oil, I don't know if I can do coconut, I'm not going to be able to hit the gym properly this week I think

I have fiber supplements
    if you're working out (like lifting weights, not cardio) make sure you do a carb load day. Look into a Cyclical Keto Diet, there are lots of guildes on bodybuilding websites

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Indigestible fiber does not count as a "carb"
    Oh my... I'm an idiot. This sure is going to make it easier to handle. Can stand the bad mood for the first week, let's see how I fit them in now, thank you ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilian View Post
    That's just very bad.

The best way is to just eat a normal amount of food which is 2000 calories for women and 2500 for men on average and leave out processed foods and drinks (so only drink water, tea and not too much coffee). Use a calculator like this: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm to calculate how much you need. Don't look at the weightloss or extreme weightloss numbers on that thing but just start with the maintenance and work from there. After a few weeks when you notice changes you can adjust by retracting or adding 100 calories. You shouldn't feel terribly hungry and you shouldn't feel too full at least.
    2500 calories is considerably over maintenance for many men, especially if they're only semi-active, much less sedentary. 2000 calories is almost certainly way too much for most women. A 25 year old man that stands 6 feet and weighs 180 (24.4 BMI) and exercises three times a week (MWF with weekends off... this is pretty normal for most people) will have a TDEE of 2523, and that's just an estimate. Eating 2500 calories a day will likely be too many, especially if they exercise less than that (TDEE estimate 2200 with little to no exercise.)

A woman that stands 5'5" and weighs 140 (23.3 BMI) with the same exercise regimen only needs 1900 calories to meet TDEE, and not quite 1700 if she doesn't exercise regularly. Eating 2000 calories would be a great way for her to gain weight.

People like you are why it's so hard for people to find useful information on the subject, because you know very little on the subject yet speak as if you're an expert.

You can also play around with micronutriens to see what feels right for you. High carb diets mostly look like 60% carbs 20% protein and 20% fat. Low carb diets look like 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat. Low carb is mostly used/recommended to lose fat and high carb is often recommended for endurance athletes.
    And, fat isn't bad for you and neither are carbs. They are actually good for you and leaving out either or both is just bad.
    Carbs are very bad for you. High triglycerides, which is a primary factor in congestive heart disease (clogged arteries), come purely from having too many carbs in your diet. Unless you are very active, you need few carbs and should get most of your calories from fat and protein.

Think in years when you want to lose weight because it will take time if you want to do it healthy and make it last. All those weird ass diets are just scams to make money. They might give you quick results because they are so extreme but it does no good in the end, 1500 calories a day is simply bad. I've also tried that and it doesn't really work.
    It works fine. Again, you're ignorant on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by analmoose View Post
    if you're working out (like lifting weights, not cardio) make sure you do a carb load day. Look into a Cyclical Keto Diet, there are lots of guildes on bodybuilding websites
    There's no need for any of that unless you're lifting weights seriously (like doing Starting Strength or other, similar 5x5 or 8x3 setups.) If you're just lifting some weights in between cardio sessions at the gym, it won't really matter much.
    Last edited by PizzaSHARK; 2015-02-09 at 08:54 PM.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Carbs are very bad for you. High triglycerides, which is a primary factor in congestive heart disease (clogged arteries), come purely from having too many carbs in your diet. Unless you are very active, you need few carbs and should get most of your calories from fat and protein.
    Yup. When I cut the carbs, my triglyceride levels just crashed, down by a factor of 3. Total cholesterol also went down a lot, but HDL went up.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    My mum went on a ssimilar diet many years ago, though it was less than 20g of cacarbs. She lost between 20 and 30kg I'm pepretty sure. No exercise Nd she fekt weak for a while
    Dear frozen yogurt, you are the celery of desserts. Be ice cream or be nothing.

There's no need for any of that unless you're lifting weights seriously (like doing Starting Strength or other, similar 5x5 or 8x3 setups.) If you're just lifting some weights in between cardio sessions at the gym, it won't really matter much.

Yeah, I guess. But if you aren't lifting weights seriously then you should be nowhere near them, because you are just wasting your own time, and anyone else who is waiting to use them / the bench /rack etc. Seriously, either give something 100% or don't bother, you're only cheating yourself.
    Last edited by analmoose; 2015-02-09 at 11:19 PM.

Supplements in general are a good idea if you're going to be on this type of diet.

1. Comprehensive multivitamin with complete B vitamins
    2. Omega 3 supplement
    3. **Magnesium** read up if you do not understand why your body needs this essential mineral. Primarily gotten from grains and green vegetables so you will likely become deficient in this essential mineral if you are on a low carb diet. Two thirds of Americans are deficient in magnesium.

Vitamin D, Magnesium and Calcium work together for a variety of bodily functions so something like this supplement will help a lot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I guess. But if you aren't lifting weights seriously then you should be nowhere near them, because you are just wasting your own time, and anyone else who is waiting to use them / the bench /rack etc. Seriously, either give something 100% or don't bother, you're only cheating yourself.
    What a ridiculous notion. That'd be like saying you shouldn't go running because you don't plan on competing in a marathon.

Everyone should combine weightlifting with regular, effective cardio. You don't have to take supplements or subscribe to bro science in order to reap the benefits of weightlifting.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

I'm a runner that lifts once a week and not particularly heavy; functional strength and general health are the only reasons for me to lift, there's absolutely no reason for me to add upper body weight, it'll make me actively worse at running. I know there are some scattered meathead idiots that aren't capable of grasping that people play different sports and thus favor different body types, but most people understand this intuitively.

What a ridiculous notion. That'd be like saying you shouldn't go running because you don't plan on competing in a marathon.

Everyone should combine weightlifting with regular, effective cardio. You don't have to take supplements or subscribe to bro science in order to reap the benefits of weightlifting.
    No, but you have to seriously and consistently lift them for it to be of any benefit. If you go in and do a few curls, bench some 15lb dumbbells, then sit on machines to do a couple more silly motions and call that weightlifting it is pointless.

If you are going to lift weights, you need to push yourself, if you aren't failing at least the final lift of your set you aren't going hard enough. If you aren't squatting, doing pullups and compounds, you don't know what you are doing and should learn, or if you don't care, again, stop wasting your time. Do things properly, or don't waste others time being in the way, because you will never stick to it and nothing will ever come of it.

If you are going to lift weights, you need to push yourself, if you aren't failing at least the final lift of your set you aren't going hard enough. If you aren't squatting, doing pullups and compounds, you don't know what you are doing and should learn, or if you don't care, again, stop wasting your time. Do things properly, or don't waste others time being in the way, because you will never stick to it and nothing will ever come of it.
    Yup.

As a woman, I have to explain this to my female friends a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I'm a runner that lifts once a week and not particularly heavy; functional strength and general health are the only reasons for me to lift, there's absolutely no reason for me to add upper body weight, it'll make me actively worse at running. I know there are some scattered meathead idiots that aren't capable of grasping that people play different sports and thus favor different body types, but most people understand this intuitively.
    Yes, "Functional Strength". To gain that you must perform functions that you will regularly use, IE: not weightlifting as you only do it once a week. Seriously, you are gaining nothing from it, your body won't adapt and increase your strength or endurance, because you don't do it often or heavy enough.

I'm a meathead because I choose to increase my strength? You just don't know what you're talking about. Nothing wrong with being a little cardio bunny, but realize the weights you lift once a week are literally pointless and prove no benefit to you, and absolutely do not have any effect on functional strength in the real world

Deal, but stay the fuck off my track then.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, "Functional Strength". To gain that you must perform functions that you will regularly use, IE: not weightlifting as you only do it once a week. Seriously, you are gaining nothing from it, your body won't adapt and increase your strength or endurance, because you don't do it often or heavy enough.

I'm a meathead because I choose to increase my strength? You just don't know what you're talking about. Nothing wrong with being a little cardio bunny, but realize the weights you lift once a week are literally pointless and prove no benefit to you, and absolutely do not have any effect on functional strength in the real world
    This is all objectively wrong. I lift heavier weights than I did when I started and have visibly more muscular definition. Yes, of course only lifting on days off from running and cycling will have a very low plateau - so what?

You seem incapable of grasping that other people choose other sports as their primary goal.
    Last edited by Spectral; 2015-02-10 at 01:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Deal, but stay the fuck off my track then.

- - - Updated - - -

This is all objectively wrong. I lift heavier weights than I did when I started and have visibly more muscular definition. Yes, of course only lifting on days off from running and cycling will have a very low plateau - so what?

You seem incapable of grasping that other people choose other sports as their primary goal.
    No, I completely understand. You don't seem to understand people can actually do both effectively however. Like running though, if you don't commit yourself and give everything you can, you will never be anywhere near your potential, nor will you see nearly as good of results. That is my point. I'm not telling you to take steroids and gain 30lbs of muscle mass so you can't run properly. In real life, if you don't eat a ton of food while pushing yourself hard almost daily lifting weights, you aren't going to gain enough muscle mass to actually affect your running ability at all.

I've studies and practiced all these things since high school, about 15 years in total now. I know what i'm talking about, and I know what you are trying to get at, but fundamentally you are wrong.

Deleted
    Day 6

I think I must be doing it wrong.

I don't feel weird, no nausea, no "fog-head", my breath isn't too bad (according to outside source), and although I don't feel like hitting the gym, I don't feel weak either.

I've been eating mainly chicken, olive oil, cheese, some peanut butter (stopped), heavy cream with my tea, steak, bacon

Not sure what I'm doing wrong except maybe not eating enough fat. Weight is slowly dropping, but quite slowly. I don't have a huge amount to lose but I expected more than this.

Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    Day 6

I think I must be doing it wrong.

I don't feel weird, no nausea, no "fog-head", my breath isn't too bad (according to outside source), and although I don't feel like hitting the gym, I don't feel weak either.

I've been eating mainly chicken, olive oil, cheese, some peanut butter (stopped), heavy cream with my tea, steak, bacon

Not sure what I'm doing wrong except maybe not eating enough fat. Weight is slowly dropping, but quite slowly. I don't have a huge amount to lose but I expected more than this.
    Over the short term, weight will fluctuate due to bowel contents. So judge how it's going after a couple of weeks. I noticed periods of no change followed by a sharp drop (details omitted for everyone's sake). Be sure to do at least some moderate exercise too.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Looked into it, but theirs too much math involved. So I'm sticking with the "eat less, move more" plan.
    Lol! Good answer.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Over the short term, weight will fluctuate due to bowel contents. So judge how it's going after a couple of weeks. I noticed periods of no change followed by a sharp drop (details omitted for everyone's sake). Be sure to do at least some moderate exercise too.
    As Osmeric says. Body weight can fluctate wildly. I can be 2kgs heavier in the afternoon compared to the morning. All depends on what you have in your bowel, how much water you retain and stress levels. Always weigh yourself at the same time. I suggest in the morning just after you have taken a piss.

I usually weigh in every other week. I do it Sunday/Monday/Tuesday and take an average of that for my current weight. If you eat correctly and track stuff you can without any danger loose about 0.5kg a week (assuming you have something to loose)

10+ Year Old Account
    how much kcal does a string/piece of bacon have ? is it like 100g of chicken breast ? about 100-120 kcal ?

cuz its way ligher, but has a lot more fat so less volume but more kcal. what i mean is, not rly worth eating that cuz i wont get as satiated as if i ate a breast or hamburger steak or whatever else. im not american, i know u guys eat that very often. last time i ate fried bacon was a couple of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Khatolic View Post
    how much kcal does a string/piece of bacon have ? is it like 100g of chicken breast ? about 100-120 kcal ?

cuz its way ligher, but has a lot more fat so less volume but more kcal. what i mean is, not rly worth eating that cuz i wont get as satiated as if i ate a breast or hamburger steak or whatever else. im not american, i know u guys eat that very often. last time i ate fried bacon was a couple of years ago.
    http://www.calorieking.com/foods/cal...kPTYzNDY0.html

46 kcal