Deleted

Hey Danes, please help me with the language one more time!

This is thread #10 since I started learning the language a 2-3 years ago - and now I have just two (hopefully simple) questions, or rather, two words which I just do not understand.

These words are:

umiddelbart
    efterhaanden

Umiddelbart, what the fuck is this? Google Translate is completely lost and says tha it means 'immediately', I cannot find an English equivalent, and no one has yet been able to explain it to me, here is an example of a conversation last week:

"Skal jeg kun arbejde i Valby i en uge?", "Jeg tror du skal vaere der umiddelbart laengere tid"

The second one I kind of understand to mean 'gradually', but not entirely, it's difficult to understand.

15+ Year Old Account
    immediately

a posteriori "Was the Council able to verify a posteriori that this was indeed the case on the ground?"

btw not danish but both words are pretty much the same in a real language like swedish
    Last edited by Bakis; 2015-01-28 at 07:06 PM.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

10+ Year Old Account

umiddelbart is easy as a German: unmittelbar. Which basically means immediately.

Deleted
    How is it immediately? I've heard many examples of this word and replaced it with immediately, it makes no sense in English.

"In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    Umiddelbart means that the person is viewing it from a first glance perspektive.

Like if you look at a book cover and thought that the book was shit, then you would "umiddelbart tro den var lort".

Gradually = Efterhånden, it is very accurate!
    Last edited by mmocff76f9a79b; 2015-01-28 at 08:19 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    Umiddelbart means that the person is viewing it from a first glance perspektive.

Like if you look at a book cover and thought that the book was shit, then you would "umiddelbart tro den var lort".

Gradually = Efterhånden, it is very accurate!
    So one could maybe actually translate umiddelbart as 'initially' instead?

Thanks so much for the help!

Deleted
    FWIW http://da.bab.la/ordbog/dansk-engelsk/umiddelbart

Edit: d'oh, slowpoke poster is slow

Deleted
    I would say umiddelbart translate to something along the lines of "at first glance" like

Person 1: hvad syntes du om denne dag?
    person 2: umiddelbart ville jeg sige at den var god
    translate to
    Person 1: what do you think of this day?
    Person 2: At first glance i would say it was good

You would use it when you describe you initial thought about something

Edit: Also it can be used in other ways, fuck this word.
    Last edited by mmoc7685c67f5f; 2015-01-29 at 10:39 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by I am 12 and what is this View Post
    I would say umiddelbart translate to something along the lines of "at first glance" like

Person 1: hvad syntes du om denne dag?
    person 2: umiddelbart ville jeg sige at den var god
    translate to
    Person 1: what do you think of this day?
    Person 2: At first glance i would say it was good

You would use it when you describe you initial thought about something
    "At first glance" seems like the best translation really.
    I can't seem to find any english word it translate to directly either.

Deleted
    Well as long as you have "hygge" and "Rød grød med fløde" down there isn´t to much to worry about....

Umiddelbart - Initially, at first glance

Efterhånden - gradually

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Craakar View Post
    This is thread #10 since I started learning the language a 2-3 years ago - and now I have just two (hopefully simple) questions, or rather, two words which I just do not understand.

These words are:

umiddelbart
    efterhaanden

Umiddelbart, what the fuck is this? Google Translate is completely lost and says tha it means 'immediately', I cannot find an English equivalent, and no one has yet been able to explain it to me, here is an example of a conversation last week:

"Skal jeg kun arbejde i Valby i en uge?", "Jeg tror du skal vaere der umiddelbart laengere tid"

The second one I kind of understand to mean 'gradually', but not entirely, it's difficult to understand.
    Umiddelbart; At first glance / appears to be etc etc (It's a tricky one to translate directly)

Efterhånden; Must be (past tense), and example could be; It must be years ago now (Another of the Danish words that carry multiple meanings in relation to X sentence)

"Skal jeg kun arbejde i Valby i en uge?", "Umiddelbart tror jeg du skal være der i længere tid" (In this sentence 'umiddelbart' is more equivalent to 'estimating')

10+ Year Old Account
    We make it hard for other people to understand because we don't like other people in our treehouse. It's like a secret language..

Deleted
    Indeed it is a fucked up language. I think I was here for 1.5 years before I was confident on my pronunciation of basic words such as 'red', 'bread', 'ass'... (roed, broed, roev). So I actually refrained from trying to pronounce them if I could help it haha.

Deleted
    Indeed it is a fucked up language. I think I was here for 1.5 years before I was confident on my pronunciation of basic words such as 'red', 'bread', 'ass'... (roed, broed, roev). So I actually refrained from trying to pronounce them if I could help it haha.
    The most fucked up thing in the danish language is the insane comma rules that nobody understands, and the silent D's that we insert in some words for no apperent reason. The funny letters (æøå) you will learn eventually because you can just pratice it to perfection, the others however make no sense logically speaking.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it makes you feel better, alot of ethnic danes are pretty bad at it too When I overhear a group of teens talking it's like 60% english, 30% stupid slur and 10% proper danish. They don't even bother using the right words, if one of them knows an "advanced" word, he/she will just use it for everything, in every sentence without knowing what it means.
    Last edited by CptEgo; 2015-01-29 at 02:00 PM.