gpu broken? display errors

http://i.imgur.com/PVyxEhj.jpg

this is what my screen looks like with my gpu. this happened when I played dying light so I assume a lot of stress for the card (got black screen and after restart / waiting 15mins for card to cool down my screen looks like this).

is this simply that the card lived its life cycle and died? ie too many errors in chip for the card to handle?

I don't know much about computers so I would appreciate if someone could help me out!

computer runs fine on the intel built in gpu thing btw intel graphics 3000 or something.

Yeah, either the GPU itself or VRAM overheated and died. If it started "out of the blue" and you can get flawless picture with Intel graphics then it's broken card.

There's small chance you can fix it by replacing the heatsink and fan on the card in case its just overheating, but its quite expensive operation and not guaranteed to work so better just start looking for new graphics cards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Any dust in the fan on the GPU? Fan works?

yes both fans work fine, I removed as much of the dust as I could
    it's a 2 year old 7870 so I'm not too worried just curious what happened ^^

I also tried reducing the core voltage in bios (since I couldn't access the overclocking tool in windows) but then the screen just stayed dark.

Quote Originally Posted by xindralol View Post
    I also tried reducing the core voltage in bios (since I couldn't access the overclocking tool in windows) but then the screen just stayed dark.
    Try set voltage to factory default but lower clock speeds of both GPU and VRAM by 20%. That will help with possible overheating issues. Voltages are so tightly tuned on graphics cards that setting those even 1% off from default might make it non-functional.

I now plugged in a different video card but the screen is still blank *** that is monitor shows no signal *** (I tried both pci express slots none of them work with either card. screen just stays black.

I can't change any video card settings now since whenever one is set up I can't see anything / can't access bios / overclock program.

The only thing that works is using the intel cpu gpu thing (that is I unplug the gpu power and put hdmi cable in mainboard instead of the gpu).
    Is it possible that my mainboard is the culprit and not the GPU? Even with those graphics errors I posted earlier?
    Any input is appreciated.

You have setting in BIOS for primary GPU? In case it's set to internal instead of PCIE right now and the PCIE card will not even get used? Remembered to plug in power cables for the graphics cards?

And yes, its possible your mobo is broken, but with the original symptoms less likely.

Quote Originally Posted by fixx View Post
    You have setting in BIOS for primary GPU? In case it's set to internal instead of PCIE right now and the PCIE card will not even get used? Remembered to plug in power cables for the graphics cards?

And yes, its possible your mobo is broken, but with the original symptoms less likely.
    http://i.imgur.com/NLrnCFN.jpg
    this is the only thing I could find in bios GPU related (except for the voltage change thing). no idea what any of it means though.
    I haven't changed anything I think it simply uses the cpu gpu thing if there's no powered external GPU installed (ie I would unplug the power of my radeon and it would use the CPU GPU thing)

Looks broken to me... Doubt any cleaning will fix that.
    Next time buy compressed bottled air for cleaning of computer... And dont wait 2 years with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnkie View Post
    Looks broken to me... Doubt any cleaning will fix that.
    Next time buy compressed bottled air for cleaning of computer... And dont wait 2 years with it.
    well what exactly is broken? it's not *just* the gpu (either that or both my old gpu and the new one I bought are dead)

http://i.imgur.com/NLrnCFN.jpg
    this is the only thing I could find in bios GPU related (except for the voltage change thing). no idea what any of it means though.
    I haven't changed anything I think it simply uses the cpu gpu thing if there's no powered external GPU installed (ie I would unplug the power of my radeon and it would use the CPU GPU thing)
    Can you change the "initiate graphics adapter" setting from IGD to anything else like PCI? It's possible it doesn't even try to start the card now with that setting.

10+ Year Old Account
    well what exactly is broken? it's not *just* the gpu (either that or both my old gpu and the new one I bought are dead)
    Heat damage from my understanding. Dust is also a bit of a conductor so it can discharge capacitors as well. It's very important to remove dust from your computer as often as you can.

When a graphics card overheats it can weaken solder joints and disconnect the GPU from the board. You could try to reflow the solder with an oven or heatgun. Liquid flux would make it a permanent fix.

update: thanks everyone for your help!

I got a new mainboard and gpu and my pc works fine again (though minor problems getting a 1155 mainboard lol, everyone seems to have upgraded)

@fixx, iirc there was IGD and one other setting (another 3 letter name but it wasn't PCI)

ps: huge respect to my 2500k processor ... ran it at 95 degrees centigrade for a couple days until I got heat conducting paste lol, still works like a charm xD

update: thanks everyone for your help!

I got a new mainboard and gpu and my pc works fine again (though minor problems getting a 1155 mainboard lol, everyone seems to have upgraded)

@fixx, iirc there was IGD and one other setting (another 3 letter name but it wasn't PCI)

ps: huge respect to my 2500k processor ... ran it at 95 degrees centigrade for a couple days until I got heat conducting paste lol, still works like a charm xD
    Bolded section: WHY? why not buy the paste right away? A couple of days running a cpu without thermal paste... you dodged a bullet.