Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Noam Chomsky: Obama's drone campaign most extreme terrorism in recent history

"if not in all of history"-title got cut off, to long.

Comes in around 3:35 of this video:

During a talk about the movie "American Sniper", where he talks about their usage of the word "savages" to describe Iraqi's, he branched off into something I have felt quite strongly about (I made a post on these forums about the usage of drones in Pakistan a while back, and who was actually being killed). He talks about how the USA can decide that someone "might" be up to something, and essentially issue a death sentence for someone not involved in fighting, from across the entire world.

I don't agree with a LOT of what chomsky has to say; I think he is a bit extreme, but I do have some respect for him, and I believe he is right about this issue. (Though I wouldn't go so far as to say Obama's death campaign is the most extreme terrorism)

I can understand drones being used in the event something is actually going on, but their have been far to many "Mistakes" or calling of people "Combatants" when we have no idea what they are actually up to. I know that drones were used under bush as well, and I'm not excusing that, but the technology was not quite to where it is today.

He also mentions the transcripts of the drone operators, which ARE quite scary to read.

Drone interactive site about pakistan: http://drones.pitchinteractive.com/
    You're a towel.

10+ Year Old Account
    So out of the two Presidents to have drones, one having them for a longer period of time, Obama is number 1 of 2. The next two term President will take the number 1 spot. And the trend will continue. Technology escalates destruction. It allows them to conduct attacks they wouldn't with manned aircraft and I don't expect it to change any time soon. And no act of Congress will even happen because each party wants to have it in their arsenal for when the presidency is theirs.

Noam Chomsky charges 20-30,000$ speaking fee for making appearances at colleges. The left wing has been very, very good for ol Noam.

It was a delight seeing him go after the French a while back. France had tried and convicted this college professor who denied the Holocaust happened, Noam when to his defense. You could literally see French people squirming in their seats as he spoke.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    I have always felt that our campaign against terrorism is a bit hypocritical. Can't say I disagree with Mr. Chomsky's statement.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    So out of the two Presidents to have drones, one having them for a longer period of time, Obama is number 1 of 2. The next two term President will take the number 1 spot. And the trend will continue. Technology escalates destruction.
    Yes, because its only not murder if you use drones instead of other weaponry.

10+ Year Old Account
    So out of the two Presidents to have drones, one having them for a longer period of time, Obama is number 1 of 2. The next two term President will take the number 1 spot. And the trend will continue. Technology escalates destruction. It allows them to conduct attacks they wouldn't with manned aircraft and I don't expect it to change any time soon. And no act of Congress will even happen because each party wants to have it in their arsenal for when the presidency is theirs.
    I can't really deny what you are saying here, no.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Noam Chomsky charges 20-30,000$ speaking fee for making appearances at colleges. The left wing has been very, very good for ol Noam.

It was a delight seeing him go after the French a while back. France had tried and convicted this college professor who denied the Holocaust happened, Noam when to his defense. You could literally see French people squirming in their seats as he spoke.
    Though true, not sure how it detracts from the truth of what he is saying (In my opinion)
    You're a towel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MeHMeH View Post
    Yes, because its only not murder if you use drones instead of other weaponry.
    I never said it was a good thing. It's murder when civilians die by any means.

I find it ironic that people in the US "conservatives" accuse obama of being a terrorist muslim sympathizer, yet he approves drone strikes that kill many innocent (muslim) children and other civilans in some cases.

Deleted

Try to derail much?? That this guy gets lots of money for his appearance doesn't have anything to do with the topic discussed.

- - - Updated - - -

I never said it was a good thing. It's murder when civilians die by any means.
    I think you are totally missing the point here, they are all murders because they did not get any trail. It is not the means by with it is done that matter.

Try to derail much?? That this guy gets lots of money for his appearance doesn't have anything to do with the topic discussed.
    Sure it does. What would you say for $30,000?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

For starters, Obama does not just get a whim to send a drone and do so. The strikes are based on intelligence gathering and have a high degree of scrutiny. We should use whatever tools we have to protect this country or its citizens from those that would do it harm (even other citizens that would it harm).
    "The round, metal cooking utensil referring to the larger, cookware customarily used for, but not limited to, stews, as being of a dark shade or possibly of African descent." ~~ Fixed for now. But keep in mind any one of the words used in that fix may become politically incorrect or offensive at any moment for any reason. Further amendments may be required to prevent frivolous lawsuits in the future.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    I find it ironic that people in the US "conservatives" accuse obama of being a terrorist muslim sympathizer, yet he approves drone strikes that kill many innocent (muslim) children and other civilans in some cases.
    Do you find it ironic that some of the same people that were against bush doing this are now fine with obama doing it?
    You're a towel.

Are we just using the term terrorism to describe anything we don't like these days?
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daez View Post
    For starters, Obama does not just get a whim to send a drone and do so. The strikes are based on intelligence gathering and have a high degree of scrutiny. We should use whatever tools we have to protect this country or its citizens from those that would do it harm (even other citizens that would it harm).
    No, nobody thinks obama just goes "Welp, lets kill some dudes today!", but to say that they have a high degree of scrutiny might be over exxagerating, how about that wedding that got bombed?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    Are we just using the term terrorism to describe anything we don't like these days?
    Well, to the civilians on the ground, I'm sure they view it as terrorism.
    You're a towel.

Deleted
    Sure it does. What would you say for $30,000?
    The same things i have always said, because that is why they are paying me that much.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think you are totally missing the point here, they are all murders because they did not get any trail. It is not the means by with it is done that matter.
    I'm not missing the point at all. I am all for drone strikes on specific targets. Any non-American that threatens harm upon our people or country, or our alies, don't deserve a trial under American law. If sufficient evidence exists, blow them up. It's the "collateral damage" that is reprehensible.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    Do you find it ironic that some of the same people that were against bush doing this are now fine with obama doing it?
    liberals have always been staunchly against the wars in iraq and afghanistan in all respects. whether it was george bush or obama continuing it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    How is a drone strike not an act of terror??

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not missing the point at all. I am all for drone strikes on specific targets. Any non-American that threatens harm upon our people or country, or our alies, don't deserve a trial under American law. If sufficient evidence exists, blow them up. It's the "collateral damage" that is reprehensible.
    I agree almost entirely with you on that matter, I am not 100% anti-drone stop them instantly! or something like that; if you go to the infographic thing I linked as well, it details which of the deaths were actually confirmed to be in any way related to terrorism, and it is shockingly low.
    You're a towel.

Deleted
    Better than open war inside Pakistan.