Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Can I be casual and still see content ?

Hello guys. I play WoW pretty hardcore (not bleeding edge but cutting edge Id say) so I dont have much time left for other games, I use most of my free time in WoW. There is some time left tough specialy in beteween tiers etc and I wanted to use that time playing FFXIV since Im a big FF fan and I played the game on my PS3 for a short while and liked it very much (only got to lv 30 or so).

What I want to know is that if taking a very casual aproach to the game will I be able to see end game content ? Is there somethign similar to wows raid finder ? Can I just pug stuf whithout needing to comit to a guild and a schedule ? How much end game content can one with this aproach see ? Ty in advance.
    Last edited by DakonBlackblade; 2014-10-27 at 11:35 AM.

yes you can in duty finder you have raids and it open for you when you unlocked over the game quests and so on
    you can find groups via the duty finder or you can use the Party finder tool in game

You can see all the content that you open
    Last edited by yotam; 2014-10-27 at 01:26 PM. Reason: update

Quote Originally Posted by yotam View Post
    yes you can in duty finder you have raids and it open for you when you unlocked over the game quests and so on
    you can find groups via the duty finder or you can use the Party finder tool in game

You can see all the content that you open
    Hey nice to know, guess Ill jump in FF XIV again and be a "Raid Finder hero" with bellow average gear doing some easy content hahaha. Im more interested in the story than anything, I realy liked how the main story quests unfolded as I was leveling up and the job quests as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DakonBlackblade View Post
    Hey nice to know, guess Ill jump in FF XIV again and be a "Raid Finder hero" with bellow average gear doing some easy content hahaha. Im more interested in the story than anything, I realy liked how the main story quests unfolded as I was leveling up and the job quests as well.
    FF14 isn't like WoW. The hardest content is easily puggable. I cleared up to turn 6 + 'extreme' modes in pugs before I quit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    FF14 isn't like WoW. The hardest content is easily puggable. I cleared up to turn 6 + 'extreme' modes in pugs before I quit.
    Last I remembered, you stated you only cleared up to turn 4 with pugs unless you want to amend that statement and you provided no proof after being asked for such.

Everything is technically puggable anyways if you want to be that anal. It depends on who you end up with and how cooperative everyone is or how knowledgeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Last I remembered, you stated you only cleared up to turn 4 with pugs unless you want to amend that statement and you provided no proof after being asked for such.

Everything is technically puggable anyways if you want to be that anal. It depends on who you end up with and how cooperative everyone is or how knowledgeable.
    I just want to be casual and not comit to anything. Im okay if I cant clear the coils of Bahamut via random pugs, I was just looking for confirmation if I could see a bunch of the content/enjoy some raids and dungeons and not comit at all to a guild and a schedule or have to depend on voice comunication etc. I do that on WoW already I just want to chill on FF XIV. It seens the answer is yes so Im gona go enjoy some fun in Eorzea at a very slow pace/casual way hehe. Maybe Ill meet some you guys there.
    Last edited by DakonBlackblade; 2014-10-27 at 10:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just want to be casual and not comit to anything. Im okay if I cant clear the coils of Bahamut via random pugs, I was just looking for confirmation if I could see a bunch of the content/enjoy some raids and dungeons and not comit at all to a guild and a schedule or have to depend on voice comunication etc. I do that on WoW already I just want to chill on FF XIV. It seens the answer is yes so Im gona go enjoy some fun in Eorzea at a very slow pace/casul way hehe. Maybe Ill meet some you guys there.
    Yeah, you should be fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Extremes and early Coil are puggable.

T6-8 are puggable but won't won't be easy.

T9 is puggable but normally people only take experienced people, and there isn't much training PT for T9, so people that didn't have experience are screwed.

But if you don't mind not clearing the final Turn in a tier then you will be fine.

You could always just play content that was released in previous content with a "new" group. I see plenty of new static groups forming up for old content all the time. Just don't expect the groups to be good or the content to be hard in anyways because square nerfs them once the new patch hits.

FFXIV is extremely casual friendly, but still takes being able to play your class. The dungeons and raids are all easily puggable if the people are competent at their roles. And since most of the content is 4-8 people it's easier to find a group of that many competent people.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    FFXIV is definitely designed with the casual player in mind. Every 3 months or so, new 4 man dungeons are added, along with a new Primal battle that has 2 difficulty modes. Every other patch they add a 24 man raid that is intended to be very easy even for PUGs. The hardcore content in FFXIV is few and far between. Raid tiers so far have been 4 bosses long. They recently added a "Savage" mode to one of the raid tiers, but it just rewards titles.

I'd say FFXIV's strongest point is its accessibility. It's easy to pick up and there's a metric crapton of content for the player who doesn't have time to dedicate to a steady raiding schedule. On the other hand though, the hardcore content that is there is poorly tuned and often filled with moments where you're praying to RNGesus not to get screwed and have a whole attempt wasted.
    Very informative ty. I get back to the game, pay a month download the client and Im greeted with maintenance just my luck lol.

Deleted
    As someone in a tiny free company of four people, I can personally say you can still see end game casual.
    Infact in today/tomorrow's patch the 2nd coil of bahamut has recieved a hefty nerfbat
    Personally I've cleared all except ramuh extreme, and cleared current coils and crystal tower.
    Not once was I in a set group
    Enjoy the game you will get to see content casually easy, and SE have already spoken about people that can't beat it, they will add a way to see the story in a story mode (most likely in 2.5)

10+ Year Old Account
    Is FFXIV a graphics hog? By that, do I need an ultra powerful computer to play it on highest? I currently have me a Lenovo Y50 (GTX 860m, core i5, 8GB ram).

I've always wanted to try a Final Fantasy MMORPG as I am a big fan of the series but I've never had a powerful gaming computer 'til most recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    And since most of the content is 4-8 people it's easier to find a group of that many competent people.
    I wish this were true.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    I'd say FFXIV's strongest point is its accessibility. It's easy to pick up and there's a metric crapton of content for the player who doesn't have time to dedicate to a steady raiding schedule. On the other hand though, the hardcore content that is there is poorly tuned and often filled with moments where you're praying to RNGesus not to get screwed and have a whole attempt wasted.
    Imo, sure it's easy to pick up the game and learn compared to some mmos but it is very hard to get into it. The beginning is horrendously boring and all the crap you have to do to get to endgame turn a lot of ppl off. The endgame however is freaking awesome and it's a shame the beginning is so bad.

Deleted
    Cutting edge, not likely as casual : /

Heroic raiding tho def not a problem, there are plenty of raiding teams that only play on weekends for people with kids and job.

Look for those guilds, I sure will in Draenor

Quote Originally Posted by istheshiz View Post
    Is FFXIV a graphics hog? By that, do I need an ultra powerful computer to play it on highest? I currently have me a Lenovo Y50 (GTX 860m, core i5, 8GB ram).
    I've always wanted to try a Final Fantasy MMORPG as I am a big fan of the series but I've never had a powerful gaming computer 'til most recently.
    Idk about the highest settings but that computer is more than enough to run this game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actuallly..You can get some BIS from just running dungeons and the CT series(2.5 will likely let you get BIS items) sooo not even completley below quality. And the hard mode raids are added to the Duty finder after they are outdated(so say damn been ages..Ummm halls of whatever would be put n AFTER throne of thunder was put in) they also add the exhoa buff to damage health and healing..But it is NOT enough to completly win fights for ya.

Then the 24 man easy raids

the 72 man battleground

and general pvp

Yeah you can see most stuff if not all of it casually VERY VERY easily.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by istheshiz View Post

LOL you can definitely run it man.. My laptop uses a 660m and it can run it on lower settings hell even higher ones area depending. So yeah you should be good.

I wish this were true
    It is "easier," but yeah it's still not easy. Because group sizes are so small and content is balanced around that size, everyone has to pull their weight unlike in WoW where there can be 1-2 dead weights.

I think some of the posters here are being a little too optimistic. Realistically, you can do every 4-man dungeon, every Hard Mode Primal, and Crystal Tower.

Doing Coils and EX Primals are unlikely as a truly casual player. If you get a decent network of friends, or join a good guild, then these might open up to you.

Bloodsail Admiral Transmigration's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The game doesn't get difficult until Coil turn 4, even then it's nowhere near as hard as any wow normal difficulty raid while it's current. Skilled players are harder to find in the FFXIV community though in my experience. They are far more pleasant to be around though except for those early hunt pullers. Fuck those guys lol.