Fellow video game music enthusiasts,

Every year Classic FM (Britain's biggest commercial radio station, but well respect in their own right) host voting for the top 300 pieces of classic music, as chosen by the public. Last year, gamers rocked things up by voting in droves for Jeremy Soul's Dragonborn, Nobuo Uematsu's Aerith's Theme and a few of Grant Kirkhope's scores (for Viva Pinata, Kingsdoms of Amalur and Banjo Kazooie). Furthermore, World of Warcraft's very own Invincible made it in to the chart. This year, it would be great to get more in there.

I'm sure all of us have our favourite pieces of Warcraft music (and game music in general), and want more people to learn of the music talent that exists in the video game industry. The reason that game music entering the Hall of Fame made such a stir, was because some people who listened to Classic FM believed that video game music is not as respected as classic music, or even film music, but that's the attitude we wanted to change. By getting more video game scores out there, people can see and understand why they are so beloved, and just how masterfully crafted they are.

If you want to get involved, and vote for your favourite pieces then head over to Classic FM's voting site to cast your votes. You get to give your top three tracks by listing the title and the composer and then submitting your vote. Sadly, many game tracks don't pop up on their search (I imagine because they're not mainstream), for example searching for Russell Brower would just bring up a few select songs, rather than many different tracks from WoW's history, so if you want to get your specific tracks you would need to manually write them in. I'm voting for World of Warcraft because it'll help to consalidate those votes (I don't think voting for The Storm Peaks music would count for much, just based on how the voting works). In order to get the main pieces in, I suggest that people concentrate their votes, rather than spreading them out, there more chance there is of getting particular game tracks in there.

So, suggest your pieces and see if we can get some good things to vote for, or just go out and cast your votes now if you want to try and get some great game tracks in to that Hall of Fame. Of course, if you want to vote for something other than WoW's music you're more than welcome to. The more video game music is brought to people's attention the better. It always feels like a small victory when the music is aired on the station. Hopefully one day we'll see video game music at the Proms in London one year.