Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Err, are you serious? Maybe, you also answer "How's it going?" with "How is what going?", or "Have a nice day" with "It is evening, you idiot"? Can't you just accept that the person expresses his/her affection to you, instead of analyzing the phrase trying hard to get offended by it?
    Your examples are neutral phrases, which I encourage using as I have said it in this thread before. Have a blessed day is not. And a cashier using a religious phrase when talking to me is inapropriate, regardless of whether I accept it or not.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Deleted
    The day that religion will be completely gone is the day we can finally move forward as a species.

I think that at the end of this century we might be very close to that, at least in the Western world.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    They're both complaining about things that bother them. There really isn't the massive difference you think there is.

You say "constant complainers", but we had one single complaint, here.

And yet, we have this thread, filled with "constant complaints" by people like yourself, in response.

Methinks you've got that comparison backwards.
    I typically <3 a lot of the things you say in a lurking capacity, but I disagree. Socially its a completely different animal. I was in a situation recently where my boyfriend and I live with his father. Very abusive/loud man, but would always go out of his way to celebrate anything that could even remotely be constituted as a holiday, birthday, you name it. Things I didn't imagine people would eat out for he'd take to drag everyone out.

And these were the occasions where he was pleasant. To us. To waiters and staff, it was unbelievable and cruel. It made everyone visibly uncomfortable and we just wanted him to shut up. Occasionally BF would say something, or even his dad's girlfriend like "I thought we wanted this to be nice". One is complaining about everything, and sure, the other is complaining about complaining, but there is significant amounts of relief, the moment breaks, and everyone gets back to paying attention to their own tables/business and the waiter is 20% less inclined to spit in the food.

I would define myself somewhere around the agnostic/atheist spectrum but people who loudly go out of their way to protest even good intentioned greetings are, from personal experience, genuinely frustrating people to be around. Sure I feel a little creeped out when someone says have a blessed day, but I don't ignore the context that he's a 70 year old antique from a different time who's just being polite.

Just keep in mind that one day (if you're lucky) you will be the old gentleman. And you'll have to deal with these idiotic twenty/thirty-somethings acting offended by your good manners.

Deleted
    Political correctness went too far like 7 years ago