Thread: upgrade ~$400

Herald of the Titans Pterodactylus's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

upgrade ~$400

Hi All,

So I am looking to upgrade my rig but it seems my processor and mobo are my most limiting things right now. So, with future upgrading in mind (plan on getting a new video card in a few months), I'd like some advice on some parts. I don't care about intel vs. AMD, they seem comparable to me. I am not brand loyal, but I really was impressed with my ASUS mobo. It would be really amazing to keep this around $400. Also, if you think that reusing the items below is stupid, and I should suck it up and fork out the cash because it will be better, I am open to opinions.

Resolution: 1920x1080 60hz
    Games / Settings Desired: WoW, Kerbal Space Program, Civ 5 the higher the better.
    Any intensive software requirements: No
    Parts that can be reused: Silencer mk II 750 watt power supply, GTX 560 Ti, Hard drive
    Do you need an OS? No
    Do you need peripherals?No

Thanks very much in advance.

What is your current CPU, and can you reuse memory.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    What is your current CPU, and can you reuse memory.
    CPU and mem is DDR2, so was thinking to upgrade that, but I suppose I could resue it and upgrade later. I have 2, 2 gig sticks of DDR 2 ram.

Hmm q6600 isnt actually a terrible CPU, what games are you having issues with? You would need to upgrade ram as well if you did cpu/mobo.

Deleted
    You can start with the following, later on you can upgrade your gpu-psu and maybe an ssd or an aftermarket cpu cooler.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.95 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z97M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($90.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Kingston Fury Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($63.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $414.91
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-31 11:03 EST-0500

7+ Year Old Account
    Thanks a bunch Kostattoo. I've read all the reviews, and everything seems to be a quality, well-reviewed item. I've never stuck a CPU on a mobo before, so I am a bit nervous...but from everything I read and watch it looks pretty much idiot-proof.