Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Buying a tablet. Advices

Hey guys.
    Well, i decided to buy a tablet because it's easier to carry it around than a laptop.
    The whole purpose of it will be to answer skype / surf on internet / watch movies.
    The price isn't a problem at all, need quality.

Need opinions on what to get. I've browsed this forum quiet abit and people lean towards Air2 and Microsoft tablet.

What would be your choice?
    I also need to have internet all that time. I'm not sure how that works if i don't have access to wifi.

Thanks for your time.

P.S. Yes i saw a billion threads regarding this issue. Sorry about that in advance.

PP.SS. If you post a product, just name a few advantages of it.
    Last edited by Projectcarry; 2015-02-01 at 04:25 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd suggest going to a retail store and check them out in person. You didn't say where you live so can't recommend specifics.

Another you could add to the list might be one of the Nexus models in the size of your choice.

Tablets usually come with 2 options: wifi only or wifi/cellular. The cellular ones can connect to the internet the same way smartphones do. Many carriers offer specific plans for tablets.

I live in Canada, pretty close to US. So if the prices are lower there - i don't mind travelling. :P

Advice: Don't
    Xenodrake (Shadowpriest) <Infallible>US 7th (T13) US 12th (T12) US 7th (T11)

Anticipation of Death is worse then Death itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenodrake View Post
    Replying to skype as fast as i can is my main job. I don't do anything in my life. So a tablet will help if i wana lay on the couch let's say. Or if i'm driving somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenodrake View Post
    Don't listen to this guy, tablets are awesome and you'll probably be surprised how much you use it once you have one.

If you are looking for the best of the best, go with the Ipad. You pay a higher price, but most of my friends swear by them. The camera and everything on them is pretty top notch. The only downside is that the memory is not expandable at all, and they are more closed off on what you can access on them through a computer. I have found 32gb is a enough wiggle room for some games and music to be kept on the tablet, anything less and you'll probably regret it at some point.

Android's i would go if you are more price conscious and enjoy something a little more open with your computer. You can freely copy/paste files from them like you would with a usb drive, and some model's allow you use sd cards to expand their base memory. Samsung makes some good models and the lolipop OS is pretty solid. I would have recommended the Nexus 9, but the places that do have it, seem to be asking for a steep price tag.

You may also want to choose exactly what size of tablet you are looking for. Personally I find ~7-8in screen is about right, big enough to watch a movie on, but still pretty portable.

As for microsoft, I would just avoid these like the plague.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    iPad. One of the best things I ever bought.

Get it with cellular if you can.
    Even if you don't go with celluar option... you can still tether to your cell phone's wifi

Which Ipad though? there is several options i think

don't get an ipad, apple products are a hassle for everything.

I would say a samsung Galaxy Tab S is your best bet, 8" or 10.5" Screen, really nice file system set up for media, movies ect. Easy to transfer music / vids, anything you want on to it. I use mine for the same purpose as you, and to watch movies at the gym while doing cardio / ebook reader when im lazin around in bed. 2560x1600 resolution, great picture on the screen. Its light, thin, battery lasts for about 10 hours of continual use

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    IPad Air 2, the only tablet you'll need.

This one might not be a bad option, it is the previous generation to the Ipad Air's and price isn't bad. The retina display is pretty slick looking too

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16858753148

I feel the iPad Air (the new one) is the best tablet out there. It functions so perfectly as a tablet that the user experience is sublime. I would not say the same of the iPhone, though it is a good phone, but iOS works wonderfully on a tablet with less task-heavy demands.

There are other fine tablets like the QHD Galaxy Tab, Nvida Shield (It's really good) and Xperia tablet. These are all competent and have their own merits. The Tab has a great screen, shield is a powerhouse in a very pleasing form and Sony's Xperia tablet is tasteful & elegant. But the iPad Air despite somewhat weaker "specs" or fewer features is an all around first class product; beautiful to hold and operate.

Apple gets it's tablets just right.

I'd say Xperia or an Ipad Air if you want iOS. I personally don't like iOS, it's very limiting.

Get the iPad Air 2 if you want something that works well, has all the best apps, and the longest upgrade lifespan. (Its extra memory will help a lot in the future.)
    I was a tablet skeptic at first, but now I can't live without them.
    Help control the population. Have your blood elf spayed or neutered.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BrerBear View Post
    and the longest upgrade lifespan.
    I dont know who you heard that from, but you got lied to.

Quote Originally Posted by Alski View Post
    I dont know who you heard that from, but you got lied to.
    I didn't hear it from anyone. I know it as a developer who works with the internals of iOS every day and realizes that the extra memory will make it more usable when later iOS versions pile on more features.
    Help control the population. Have your blood elf spayed or neutered.

I didn't hear it from anyone. I know it as a developer who works with the internals of iOS every day and realizes that the extra memory will make it more usable when later iOS versions pile on more features.
    The iPad Air 2 only has 2GB of RAM. The same as most Android and Windows tablets. The A8X is a very nice CPU but comparable to other top end chipsets.

The Samsung Tab Pro S has 3 GB of RAM, one of the most powerful displays you can buy in tablets, the same storage options as a iPad Air 2 AND allows expansion up to 64 extra GB via SD slot.

To say one is getting "extra" in the default hardware kit of the iPad Air 2 is misleading.

I do think the iPad Air 2 is a wonderful device. Its the operation of iOS in the environment of a media consumption tablet that makes the iPad Air so good. Not because of "extra memory" or any such absurb claim.

Deleted
    A standard Amazon tablet will probably be fine for what you need, a Microsoft surface 3 if you want something that will actually replace your laptop, or a Razer tablet if you fancy gaming.

Hardware-wise the Air 2 is solid, but in terms of iOS longevity Apple generally releases a new version annually, and they typically drop support for one device generation every time (iOS 8 being the exception where they dropped support for only the iPhone 4).

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teabaker View Post
    I'd say Xperia or an Ipad Air if you want iOS. I personally don't like iOS, it's very limiting.
    It is. I can admit that. They just removed my GBA on my ipad. ((((((((((((((