Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Your perfect country - what would you make it?

So lets say, you were given complete control of the country you live in. You can make ANY changes to the laws, regulations, rules of said country to whatever you wanted. What would you change?

For me personally living in the usa, id:

-BAN all extreme groups (most feminists, NRA, most affirmative action requirements, PETA, pretty much anything where 1 group of people constantly cry they are held back or put down (when they arent, looking at al sharpton).
    -institute common sense policy, i.e, if you try and sue mcdonalds because they coffee is hot, you will immediately be fined and or jailed if multiple offender
    -legalize most drugs, tax them, assuming we can supply a workable field sobriety test to catch offenders (laws same as dui essentially)
    -legalize prostitution, why this is illegal i dont know
    -fully legalize abortion
    -legalize male abortion, same guidelines for abortion (time frame wise) a man can opt out of all rights and responsibility to the child so if the female decides to keep it, she understands it is 100% her responsibility.
    -age of consent to 16
    -age of consumption of substance (alcohol, tobacco, drugs) 21
    -cameras on all officers
    -welfare requires drug tests and has a 1 year limit
    -unemployment requires drug tests and has a 6 month limit
    -if you are sentenced to life in jail or death penalty, you are shot. no death row. no years in jail. shooting squad.
    -protesting of ANY kind that disrupts the life of normal citizens (i.e when protesters blocked the freeway) will result in jail and fines. for everyone caught at the scene protesting.
    -assaulting an officer in ANY way, hitting them, throwing any object, supplies the officer with the legal right to use deadly force. dont fight. dont die.
    -remove higher taxes on the wealthy, they pay the same % as everyone else, they earned their money, get off your ass and do the same
    -initiate the counter suit policy, if you sue someone or an entity and it is found to be frivolous and without cause, you will instantly be assessed the damages you sought for yourself without trial

these are just some if the things i would change off the top of my head. how about you?

and please, understand, no one perfect country will suit everyone, so be respectful when reading others posts and try and keep an open mind to what they have to say!

keep in mind, this isnt a thread for just my ideas, share your own if you hate mine!
    Last edited by The Oblivion; 2015-02-02 at 06:02 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh look Rand Paul came to visit the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    So lets say, you were given complete control of the country you live in. You can make ANY changes to the laws, regulations, rules of said country to whatever you wanted. What would you change?

For me personally living in the usa, id:

-BAN all extreme groups (most feminists, NRA, most affirmative action requirements, PETA, pretty much anything where 1 group of people constantly cry they are held back or put down (when they arent, looking at al sharpton).
    Stopped reading here. Freedom of expression is essential to any society that even feigns to be free.

Deleted
    First I would get rid of my totalitarian rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Half of that stuff is madly subjective. I'd love to see the details on enforcement for it.
    yeah that is one of the tougher thing for some ideas, i guess the first questions is, for how long do i have supreme control? if its indefinite then i suppose i would be the judging factor, if not, it would take a legal time quite some time to work out guidelines if even possible. but being this is the internet, i do like to pretend it would all come together easily and for arguments sake say it will work. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    First I would get rid of my totalitarian rule.
    this is actually a reply i anticipated and very reasonable as well. i dont think a lot of people would like to be able to force change on such a large entity. but for arguments sake, is there anything you would like to change if it was the popular vote for where you live or would be beneficial? i.e maybe institute college as standard education or fund a better social security system?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    Banning "extreme groups" is sort of subjective, isn't it? One mans extremist is anothers moderate.
    it is VERY subjective, but thats why YOU in the scenario have the power, so you decide. none of this is realistic, its just what you think you would do

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fexus View Post
    Stopped reading here. Freedom of expression is essential to any society that even feigns to be free.
    well to me, expression does not mean forming groups that constantly try to incite panic and destruction both physically and mentally. im talking about disbanding the extreme groups, not the normal ideas. but i understand what you feel as well!

Also, drug testing innocent people.... unemployment drug testing? really? What is even your rational for defending that? Innocent people get laid off... THEY MUST BE DRUG USERS!
    what is the harm? lets say for instance, we no longer just mail your unemployment, you instead need to come to an office to pick it up. in that office we require you to pee in a cup (a very generic not hardcore drug test), you get your check and are good to go. on the next visit it shows you failed, you are now denied unemployment until you come back clean. my rational is, its going to be hard getting a job in the first place if you spend your time doing drugs, and its not possible to fully stop you from using funds to buy them. so you just gotta suck it up and put the bong down until you atleast get hired

- - - Updated - - -

One of the only changes with few negative consequences that i can think of would be to overhaul the way supreme court justices are selected, and how long they serve for. This BS where we can figure out how each judge will rule based on ideology and party lines needs to stop.
    i do like this and agree!

Deleted
    i.e maybe institute college as standard education or fund a better social security system?
    Social security if fine so is the availabillity of higher education.

Your vision of facistopolis is however not.

Canada, but I would ban snow and coldness.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

what is the harm?
    Can you go take a drug test now please? Thanks. Just to be sure post the results here as well, just so we can be sure you're not on drugs right now, because you seem like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primohastat View Post
    That toxicity is normal in WoW. Even classic. And it comes from this what so called elitism, spreading everywhere. Average player say that classic is piss easy and every aspect can be done with minimal effort. But right after that, the same player ignites with rage when someone wants to apply that minimal effort

well to me, expression does not mean forming groups that constantly try to incite panic and destruction both physically and mentally. im talking about disbanding the extreme groups, not the normal ideas. but i understand what you feel as well!
    Expression only when the government approves is not free.

Well besides the fact that you are treating every person like a criminal.... do you know how much manpower and money it would take to test that many people and keep buildings where you test clean and the time being wasted sitting in line waiting to pee when you could be.... i don't know.... LOOKING FOR A JOB?

/facepalm
    well hopefully the new established time limits could help with the cost as we would start saving a lot of money. I know places already do the tests for welfare, so to institute for unemployment may be costly, its something id like. Perhaps it would need to be adjusted to a monthly or bi monthly test to rule out mostly the hardcore offenders while letting the occasional reefer slip through as its out of their system. this could also assist with cost and manpower, but i do think the time restrictions would mostly cover that

10+ Year Old Account
    Im enjoying the hypocrisy in this thread....Let's legalize the use of drugs unless you're unemployed. Then it's illegal and we're taking away your social safety net. Can't have it both ways, Champ.

Quote Originally Posted by IKT View Post
    Can you go take a drug test now please? Thanks. Just to be sure post the results here as well, just so we can be sure you're not on drugs right now, because you seem like it.
    clean, we get routine drug tests in my field but do you have any ideas of your own, this isnt a thread soley about my ideas, others have their own as well. how about you?

So how do you plan to deal with the criminal black market of cheesing drug tests that will rise up after you implement these changes?
    hmm, well that is already an issue as standard urine tests are quite easy to pass, however this isnt mean to be the stop all, its a small deterrent, thats all. the most hardcore people that do there best to get away with it surely will, but thats with any law

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Why are you legalizing most drugs and then drug testing people? Seems like a pretty mixed message.
    the message is, you can do drugs if you want, just know if you need to receive these government programs, they will have their own rules and you will need to abstain until finding a job to support yourself. this functions like pot in colorado, its legal there, but as a police officer, you still cannot smoke it when off duty. another example is when involved in banking, you can be FIRED for running for politcal office as it is a conflict of interest, doing drugs and spending government money to do so, is a conflict of interest.

Well i have an idea to compliment yours, couldn't we just cut off unemployment to people who fail... let's say, 3 drug tests while applying for work in a row? It would be much easier than drug testing people with the government.... and if employers don't care about drug use, they won't have drug tests.
    actually that is a very sound idea and one i would agree with! would cut down both cost and money while giving opportunity correct

Deleted
    What would be your excuse if the richest country on the planet has starving children while poorer nations have none?

What about the mass killings of african americans who got disproportional legal retribution dished out by a police officers and the following riots?

Would you feign a foreign threat and keep the population in constant fear or would you persecute a minority and blame them for all the ills of society?
    Last edited by mmocd79acbf389; 2015-02-02 at 06:03 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Canada, but I would ban snow and coldness.
    I like CA a lot, being from the US that is.. I agree 100% on the coldness.. living in TX - Brutal summers, but decently warm winters.

Deleted
    It would also stop the government from stepping on our constitutional rights :P
    Nukes for everybody.

It would also stop the government from stepping on our constitutional rights :P
    there would need to be a way to ensure people are actually trying to obtain the job though, otherwise someone could just collect and never put in any reasonable effort to get a job as they know they would fail the test. at the very least id probably ensure 1 govt mandated test half way through your legal benefit term.