How much time is your dollar worth?

Can't think of a better way to word the title. How long, on average, do you expect your spent money to last?

Rather new to budgeting and such, and when I got my headset about a year ago for 80 dollars, I thought it was a good purchase. Best sound quality I've ever had. 80 dollars was two days of work at my job then. A year out of two days of work seemed like a good trade to me, but my dad says it should've been 2-3.

What are you trying to discuss?
    Why join the navy when you can be a pirate

10+ Year Old Account
    Hes trying to ask how long you think products should last.

It really depends on the product. A headset has MANY things that can go wrong, and I've had to RMA a few expensive headsets within a year. Am I happy about it? Hell no. But I understand that...things break.
    You're a towel.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    Hes trying to ask how long you think products should last.
    I didn't see the question that way, but now I do. Damn right, buy quality things. My headphones were about $90 in 2000, same model is still on the market for about the same price. Mine from 15 years ago are still working.

By "quality things" I don't mean unnecessary things, I don't mean things with inflated prices because of brand names.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Also don't underestimate how hugely different the quality of production is between cheap and more expensive products (of the same company).

Whenever I buy a cheap $20-30 headset from Logitech it tends to break after a month or two.
    Whenever I buy one of their expensive $150-200 headsets it keeps working up to two years
    Cheap mouse from logitech (10$) breaks down after 2 months tops, picked up MX 518 for 50$ 2 years ago and still working flawlessly, coincidence....

Absolutely impossible to say.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavett View Post
    Cheap mouse from logitech (10$) breaks down after 2 months tops, picked up MX 518 for 50$ 2 years ago and still working flawlessly, coincidence....
    I have had the opposite experiences hilariously enough; with headphones though. I had a cheap set from logitech (Bought from wal-mart in an emergency even!) last me over two years...got a more expensive model, had to RMA two of them within three months.
    You're a towel.