Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Typos in Warlords of Draenor

I feel like there are so many typos in Warlords of Draenor, in quest text and tooltips, much more than usual. Did they let some non-native speakers write all these things?

Just in the text of the item Envoy's Log alone.

I question the wisdon of employing the Bloodmaul to find it
    This might be from the "Soulgrinder" mentioned in the breifing.

7+ Year Old Account
    Those are clearly typos. Typos happen to everyone. They just don't proofread enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just goes to show how many people bother to read those gray items. :P

Most of the errors I've seen are just capitalization errors, not typos, which isn't really a big deal (although the "Tower Of War" floating text always bothers me whenever I go up to the Ashran portal).

But if you pay attention during development, there's always typos. Most of them get fixed before release; stuff like those gray items are easily missed because so few actually read them and report the errors, so it's not surprising that one slipped past. Just report them if you find them. Blizzard is pretty good about fixing them.

Think of how much text there is, some typos isn't the end of the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

I mean, it still gets the message across. It's a pretty insignificant thing to worry about IMO.

Herald of the Titans The Flavour Cat's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I've noticed it's way too prevalent in WoD. I've seen some errors in previous expansions, but WoD really took the cake. It's like there wasn't anybody around to proof-read before releasing the final product. To throw around a recent word, it makes it appear unfinished. A rushed product and they were just lacking by not bothering to check most quest text.
    The one that really bothers me is that Garrison Mine Coffee Thing, and it says it works in 'Garrison Mine's'. /sigh
    Blizzard are a business, and it's just unprofessional to have so many spelling mistakes in their game. I see enough butchering of English in trade chat (Granted, not everyone playing is English, so it might be their second language); I wouldn't expect it from the designers.
    Last edited by The Flavour Cat; 2015-02-02 at 11:47 PM.
    Isn't it ironic how education is important, yet people forget all about it when they visit the internet?

Even the published Harry Potter books had typos, I would be impressed if all the millions of words of quest text and dialogue in WoW were completely typo free.
    You just lost The Game

What in those sentences is a typo?

They did change the leveling for zones like SMV and Gorgrond a lot apparently. WoD really feels rushed, so it's not surprising there are a lot of typos.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    wisdom - briefing

Considering that there are 6 million words of ingame text that the writers created, it is pretty much a given that there will be more than a few typos in the game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    probably "wisdon" and "breifing"

they should invest in better writing software

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Flavour Cat View Post
    Yeah, I've noticed it's way too prevalent in WoD. I've seen some errors in previous expansions, but WoD really took the cake. It's like there wasn't anybody around to proof-read before releasing the final product. To throw around a recent word, it makes it appear unfinished. A rushed product and they were just lacking by not bothering to check most quest text.
    The one that really bothers me is that Garrison Mine Coffee Thing, and it says it works in 'Garrison Mine's'. /sigh
    Blizzard are a business, and it's just unprofessional to have so many spelling mistakes in their game. I see enough butchering of English in trade chat (Granted, not everyone playing is English, so it might be their second language); I wouldn't expect it from the designers.
    Yeah, I've noticed tons of those throughout WoD. Sure, there are always a couple of mistakes, but this feels like they outsourced those texts to China and then didn't even check them.

I made a habit of finding typos and style errors in major newspapers for a few years, a field where they actually have an entire team of full-time employees solely dedicated to finding those kinds of errors, and they still fall through the cracks. You better believe the millions of words in WoW are going to be littered with some typos here and there.

It's just one of the various knock-on effects of the expansion being pushed out before it was ready. Typos aren't really a significant issue compared to the amount of bugs and unpolished gameplay elements, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    Yeah, I've noticed tons of those throughout WoD. Sure, there are always a couple of mistakes, but this feels like they outsourced those texts to China and then didn't even check them.
    Haha, I suggest checking out sites like Engrish.com if you want to see what that really looks like. WoD is not anywhere close.

Though I am curious: what quests have you noticed with typos in them? I'm generally pretty good at catching those but I don't remember any memorable ones across all the characters I've leveled up (aside from one where the "typo" was intentional wordplay).

LOL I reread those sentences 5 times and didn't see them. But yeah, spell check would have instantly fixed that.

10+ Year Old Account
    The indicator that these aren't just 'whatever, typos they happen lol' is that they're not getting fixed. Which to means leans towards they're either entirely unaware, which I doubt, or they're too lazy to fix them.

Which I believe is the case.

I am surprised they did not use some typo checking software.
    Kinda simple and common these days.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Conscious View Post
    The indicator that these aren't just 'whatever, typos they happen lol' is that they're not getting fixed. Which to means leans towards they're either entirely unaware, which I doubt, or they're too lazy to fix them.

Which I believe is the case.
    They can't fix them without a patch. Check in 6.1.