Deleted

Unhappy Analyze me, please! - Windwalker Monk

Hi!

My name is Windfoot (as it is ingame) and a few days ago I pugged a normal Highmaul run, but my DPS was lackluster. I wish to ask one thing of you, kind folks. Could you please take a look at the logs that I've uploaded to see what I could improve on?

So far I've noticed:
    -I have to upkeep the Tiger power buff much better
    -I sometimes forget to use Xuen CD...

I know my stat priorities but at this point I am just grabbing every chunk of gear I can get my hands on.
    I do not however, know, which fight is better suited for Serenity/Chi explosion, aside from Tectus, on who I get the explosion talent.

Thank you for your time in advance!

EDIT: I'm dumb, I forgot to link the actual log. Here it is : warcraftlogs.com/reports/GKXpq3tY891bTxrP

By no means an expert but a couple things I have been watching on my own Monk that I checked on your Butcher kill (simply because it's an easier fight and should be the fight where you have the highest rotational accuracy).

What I do is check your buffs gaines/debuffs applied for Tiger Power and Rising Sun Kick respectively and see how their durations looked. A glaring sign I see is that Tiger Power fell off a few times and once for just shy of a minute. Keep it up as close to 100% as possible (unless using ChiEx because its nature dmg and TP reduces the affect of a targets armor for your physical attacks so it won't help there). Rising Sun Kick was much better but still fell off a few times, there is no reason it should ever fall off of Butcher.

Should have gotten a second cast of Xuen in there. Also doesn't look like you pre-potted before the fight, that's a significant dps boost there. If you DID, then you didn't pot again later. Do this. Pots are relatively cheap and theres no reason not to use them, especially if you are concerned about your numbers.

Also doesn't look like you popped Tigereye Brew on your opener. Do this. Even a few stacks adds to your dps at the beginning of a fight. I may just be reasing this wrong, but it looks like you didn't use any charges until about 30 seconds in, and your opener is long gone by that time.

Someone else can probably give you a better play by play but this is just what I noticed.

Edit: Doesn't look like you were using Chi Brew with Serenity? I believe your best results can be achieved using these 2 talents together. Personally though I don't even swap between ChiEx and Ascension/Serenity and Brew just because i'm still getting used to used to using my character in a raiding environment (swapped 3 weeks ago after playing mage for 9 years so its a little bit different) and that rotation is certainly easier to manage. But i'll get into the habit if swapping talents sometime soon.
    Last edited by Qraziness; 2015-02-03 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Added thought.
    I put on pants, FOR THIS?!?!?!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Qraziness View Post
    By no means an expert but a couple things I have been watching on my own Monk that I checked on your Butcher kill (simply because it's an easier fight and should be the fight where you have the highest rotational accuracy).

What I do is check your buffs gaines/debuffs applied for Tiger Power and Rising Sun Kick respectively and see how their durations looked. A glaring sign I see is that Tiger Power fell off a few times and once for just shy of a minute. Keep it up as close to 100% as possible (unless using ChiEx because its nature dmg and TP reduces the affect of a targets armor for your physical attacks so it won't help there). Rising Sun Kick was much better but still fell off a few times, there is no reason it should ever fall off of Butcher.

Should have gotten a second cast of Xuen in there. Also doesn't look like you pre-potted before the fight, that's a significant dps boost there. If you DID, then you didn't pot again later. Do this. Pots are relatively cheap and theres no reason not to use them, especially if you are concerned about your numbers.

Also doesn't look like you popped Tigereye Brew on your opener. Do this. Even a few stacks adds to your dps at the beginning of a fight. I may just be reasing this wrong, but it looks like you didn't use any charges until about 30 seconds in, and your opener is long gone by that time.

Someone else can probably give you a better play by play but this is just what I noticed.

Edit: Doesn't look like you were using Chi Brew with Serenity? I believe your best results can be achieved using these 2 talents together. Personally though I don't even swap between ChiEx and Ascension/Serenity and Brew just because i'm still getting used to used to using my character in a raiding environment (swapped 3 weeks ago after playing mage for 9 years so its a little bit different) and that rotation is certainly easier to manage. But i'll get into the habit if swapping talents sometime soon.
    Anyways, first I want to say thanks for taking your time. First of all, the pre-pots. I must say that I am no newbie to raiding, just been playing this monk for about a month, so I do know how to pre-pot, it is just that this was a pug and tanks didn't pull on a timer so I couldn't do better than what I did.
    Secondly, I have stated that I have to upkeep my buffs better, but thanks for reminding me nonetheless.
    Thirdly, is there any special way of upkeeping brew stacks before a boss fight? Because I would always have about 20 and they'd run out until we started the boss. So that is my most important question, is there any special way to manage brew?

Quote Originally Posted by Windfoot View Post
    Anyways, first I want to say thanks for taking your time. First of all, the pre-pots. I must say that I am no newbie to raiding, just been playing this monk for about a month, so I do know how to pre-pot, it is just that this was a pug and tanks didn't pull on a timer so I couldn't do better than what I did.
    Secondly, I have stated that I have to upkeep my buffs better, but thanks for reminding me nonetheless.
    Thirdly, is there any special way of upkeeping brew stacks before a boss fight? Because I would always have about 20 and they'd run out until we started the boss. So that is my most important question, is there any special way to manage brew?
    Brew stacks are reset upon entering raid combat, so there is no reason to try to save up.

Quote Originally Posted by Windfoot View Post
    You're welcome! There was a decent span of time between when I read your post, and when I replied to it (from work so I was busy with other stuff as well), so I just did a straight up analysis without paying too much attention to what you had already posted that you noticed yourself, sorry about that. Probably comes off as somewhat condescending, but that was not my intent. In fact I was actually analyzing my own performance last week a few minutes ago and noticed much the same problem in my own butcher kill :P.
    I put on pants, FOR THIS?!?!?!