Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Theistic View Post
    It clearly shows that with current sims, barring any change in the APL due to the set bonuses, not only does Arcane outperform Fire and Frost on single target by a large margin, but Frost even loses its advantage against Fire on ST with set bonuses.
    Just wanted to chime in that Arcane and Frost set bonuses have already been taken into account when I developed the APLs during beta. Fire also takes it into account, except some recent developments.

Quote Originally Posted by Slykz View Post
    Is these sims with 4p fire proccing at start? A lot of the fire 4p sims has been done where people think the RPPM of 4p is 100% to proc during the first 5 seconds, however there has been multiply cases of people saying it can actually take as much as 20+ seconds into the fight before proccing, and this isn't rare. Usually its not up for your opener.
    Simulations don't "think" anything. We don't have magical settings that change the proc behavior. Instead, we set the RPPM according to live and PTR numbers, and let the RNG handle the reset - just like it is in game. Therefore, there isn't such a thing as "sims caring about people thinking that the RPPM is 100% proc on pull".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Frost1129 View Post
    You are literally the only one.

Millions play this game. And you, alone, have this unique thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    why on earth would you want a strong spec nerfed in PVE ?
    Seriously. I would post a face palm meme, but I would probably get infracted
    exactly this.

This thread is about Arcane, and if people find the Burst/Conserve playstyle of it fun. I wrote a few sentences on why i didn't like it, yet why i play it.
    No it is not. The titel clearely states what you want to say: " Am i the only mage that hopes Arcane gets nerfed?"
    No Discussion included at all...

Btw: If you want to play fire/frost... hope the'll get buffed insted of arcane getting nerfen for Gods sake...

I dont like arcane, its to stressful. I dont play to be stressed, i want to enjoy the bosses, the graphics, the tactics and not focus 90% on my mana and rotation and stacks n shit. Thats why i will play fire.

However, i dont know why gameplaywise blizzard hates mages. I have different classes and they have this kind of "flow" in their dps. Mage however...last expansion we had to evocate (some of the dumbest shit ever) and now they make a game that requires a lot of movemebt and give up Prismatic Crystal which is a stationary dps cooldown. Damn, i hate PC

So far i played frost, it was gameplay wise ok.

Quote Originally Posted by PPN View Post
    I dont like arcane, its to stressful. I dont play to be stressed, i want to enjoy the bosses, the graphics, the tactics and not focus 90% on my mana and rotation and stacks n shit. Thats why i will play fire.

However, i dont know why gameplaywise blizzard hates mages. I have different classes and they have this kind of "flow" in their dps. Mage however...last expansion we had to evocate (some of the dumbest shit ever) and now they make a game that requires a lot of movemebt and give up Prismatic Crystal which is a stationary dps cooldown. Damn, i hate PC

So far i played frost, it was gameplay wise ok.
    When you're familiar with the rotation and know the mana cost of AB, you don't have to look at your mana bar that much tbh. Basically, during conserve phase, every AM proc allows you to cast an additional AB, if you don't have AM proc just throw a barrage and start over. Easy peasy.

The only thing you really have to pay attention to is the CD of Evoc so you know when to start burning.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    why on earth would you want a strong spec nerfed in PVE ?
    Seriously. I would post a face palm meme, but I would probably get infracted
    here you go.

The Patient Mountain Called Monkey's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Arcane single target atm is just so strong. Personally, i'm in a semi hardcore progression guild, and i min max my character in every way to help us progress. Obviously this means im going Arcane/fire in BRF.

However, i hate the arcane spec so much. The mastery benefit for arcane and fire, and the fact that they both shine in their own areas. (Single/AoE) is just so strong.

I love my mage. I love to play frost, i love to play fire. However, a few patches every expansion, arcane just gets insanely strong, and the burst/conserve gameplay doesn't appeal to me.
    Well there's your first problem as a player and the major problem of this thread. If you are a min/maxer then you shouldn't complain about whether you enjoy the spec or style of play, just whether or not a spec can preform better than others. If enjoying the spec you main is that big of a priority, you wouldn't be a min/maxer.

Making one thing very clear, and this is something that is echoed in all of these types of threads for Mages, you play the spec you enjoy the most and you'll out-preform the other two. Frost, Fire, and Arcane are all close with one another; even with the tier sets. If you enjoy only one spec then you can literally ignore the other two, because if you hate playing your class then good luck trying to push through progression.

Now to get back to the actual topic; why do you think Arcane needs to be nerfed? If your argument is that it's too strong of a spec then you need to rethink it. Arcane is a very strong spec; for single target and low mobility fights. Once you get some movement it weakens a bit; throw in adds and it gets even weaker. Does this mean Arcane will be horrible for BRF? I have no idea and I would doubt that, but because logs of fights aren't even posted we shouldn't make assumptions of the quality of a spec without some actual data.
    There were no screams, there was no time
    The mountain called Monkey had spoken
    It was only fire and then, nothing

You hate arcane i hate frost
    // Do not go gentle into that good night. Old age should burn and rave at close of day. Rage, rage against the dying of the light. //
    Armory

Deleted
    For once we have 2 specs with very close optimisation. I'll change that for nothing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shangalar View Post
    On everything else it starts moving towards the bottom. The more targets there are and the more movement there is, Arcane just goes lower and lower. In Blackrock Foundry you won't be told off for playing Frost or Fire on single target, but you will severely diminish your capabilities to do max dps if you play Arcane on anything other than single target.

So no, you are not being forced into playing Arcane in T17. We, who prefer to play Arcane, are forced into playing Fire or Frost because Arcane will be too much of a dps loss, way past the "polite and tolerable" line for many guilds. I raid lead my guild and I'll also probably switch away from Arcane, not because I want to lead by example, but simply because my dps as Arcane won't belong there with the other dps on Mythic difficulty.
    The conclusion is, Arcane needs to be buffed.

Been reading along and just started raiding this last week because of college but could i get an answer to a question please? My question is i am 660 ivl, first week of raiding, specced frost/arcane, as I have been reading that frost is strong up into the 680 or so ilvl, is that correct? Am i ok going Arcane single target and frost on the other fights? I have been going back and forth, any input would be greatly appreciated.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I stopped playing my Mage years ago when Arcane became the go to top DPS spec.

Found it insanely boring and never went back, even had an idea to go back for this expansion but Arcane once again was top and I hate playing subpar DPS specs when 1 of my other possible specs outshines it with less effort.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I hate arcane, but I don't care if it gets nerfed or not. I like frost and I'll play frost unless it goes back to being completely worthless like the BC/Wrath days. If that happens then I'll play fire as I enjoy that spec as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Komman View Post
    Just wanted to chime in that Arcane and Frost set bonuses have already been taken into account when I developed the APLs during beta. Fire also takes it into account, except some recent developments.

Simulations don't "think" anything. We don't have magical settings that change the proc behavior. Instead, we set the RPPM according to live and PTR numbers, and let the RNG handle the reset - just like it is in game. Therefore, there isn't such a thing as "sims caring about people thinking that the RPPM is 100% proc on pull".
    Hey Komman, hope alone is doing well on that desolate island that is AP, I just came back to raiding, 660ilvl, playing arcane single target, frost on the other fights, was going to swap to arcane/fire but figured i should wait to get a bit more gear, 680ish, since frost should be still relatively doing well compared to fire at that item level. It shouldnt hurt me to stay arcane/frost should it?at 660ilvl

Deleted
    Arcane single target atm is just so strong. Personally, i'm in a semi hardcore progression guild, and i min max my character in every way to help us progress. Obviously this means im going Arcane/fire in BRF.

However, i hate the arcane spec so much. The mastery benefit for arcane and fire, and the fact that they both shine in their own areas. (Single/AoE) is just so strong.

I love my mage. I love to play frost, i love to play fire. However, a few patches every expansion, arcane just gets insanely strong, and the burst/conserve gameplay doesn't appeal to me.

Only way i'll end up playing something else is if it gets nerfed.
    Sorry for Cherrypicking your post, but looking at the bolded statements above I think I know what I'd do if I were in your shoes. There's one reason in total for playing arcane to you and even that is iffy as Shangalar explained.

Even though the choice is ultimately yours to make I'd advise you to do yourself a favor and not go FotM for minimal gain, it'll make your experience a lot better.

insanely high turreting dps (aka simdps) has always sort of been the reward for playing arcane, a spec that cant do anything else for the most part

Only way i'll end up playing something else is if it gets nerfed.
    Root of Power + PC Arcane Mage is probably the most immobile spec in the game (or at least top3). What would you expect? Low single target?
    Last edited by Fennixx; 2015-02-04 at 03:25 PM.

Grunt
    7+ Year Old Account
    I have really missed playing arcane and Im just to nervous to fully master a new spec! Im sticking with frost for the next bit but will slowly start moving to arcane again.