Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    No real reason they shouldn't, aside from that it might traumatize watching children.
    Because it's unnecessary cruelty

Deleted
    > Piranha attacks in Brazil are rare but can be very dangerous.

I wonder how many other things in life are 'rare' but very dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Cats hunt too but you wouldn't live feed em
    Cats also kill for fun, so I really wouldn't use that as an example.

Why, pets don't NEED live food... You don't see zoo's tossing a live goat with lions
    Seems rather trivial to me. Who cares that a mouse dies from being eaten by another animal? It's part of nature.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    What does it matter if it is alive or dead before you feed it to the snake. It's still dying either way.

Hell I've stomped more mice and Rats than I can count and they weren't even fed to anything.
    It's believed she drowned but the probability is the piranhas dragged her under

7+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I saw the video of that, pretty shocking.
    Sad story.

EDIT: Oh, I just noticed this is another case entirely. A child in Peru was eaten by piranhas too not so long ago and there is a video showing the corpse. I thought this thread was about that case.
    Last edited by frangeek; 2015-02-04 at 03:39 PM.

Why, pets don't NEED live food... You don't see zoo's tossing a live goat with lions
    Snakes tend to be a lot more picky. Fortunately, the two king snakes that I own are pigs and don't care, but I've owned pythons and boas that I couldn't get to eat prekilled for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    No real reason they shouldn't, aside from that it might traumatize watching children.
    According to you, it doesn't matter if you can reduce someone's or something's suffering to a minimum just because he or it is gonna die anyway?

On topic, it's a sad story.. again irresponsible parents tho
    Man often meets his destiny, on the path he takes to avoid it.

I've never understood wanting to own a pet that requires feeding it live animals. Seems a bit psychopathic.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mentia View Post
    Seems rather trivial to me. Who cares that a mouse dies from being eaten by another animal? It's part of nature.
    In nature it's a necessity
    In captivity it's not

I can't believe i'm actually explaining this

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Cats also kill for fun, so I really wouldn't use that as an example.
    Cats aren't bound by human law

The law is about humans inflicting unnecessary harm on an animal

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bats View Post
    According to you, it doesn't matter if you can reduce someone's or something's suffering to a minimum just because he or it is gonna die anyway?

oh please..
    Go to africa and stop a pack of lions from hunting things because the feels of their prey...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bats View Post

You're putting words in my mouth.

Pre-killing goats or whatever for lions precludes an important part of the lion's nature, the hunting and killing part. While it could be argued that putting the goat out there to feel fear and the clamping of the cat's jaws before death is cruel, so is preventing the cat from engaging in their hunting behaviors. Since hunting for the cat and being eaten for the goat is common behavior in the wild, I'll lean towards that as a natural and reasonable progression of events. But I'm honestly pretty indifferent about it.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    I've never understood wanting to own a pet that requires feeding it live animals. Seems a bit psychopathic.
    No pet requires live feeding

The thing with snakes in captivity, some WON'T eat an already dead mouse. They seem to enjoy to act of catching and dealing with their prey as if in the wild. Feeding a snake a live mouse is normal and not abuse. IMHO following the UK law regarding live feeding is itself animal cruelty, you decided to keep a pet that eats live prey in the wild (and wants to continue doing so) but you decided to change it's behavior cause it wasnt' "right".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dura View Post
    oh please..
    Go to africa and stop a pack of lions from hunting things because the feels of their prey...
    Wild animals > Animals in captivity

In captivity it's not

- - - Updated - - -

Cats aren't bound by human law

The law is about humans inflicting unnecessary harm on an animal
    Not everyone has the exact same moral compass as you. Especially in regards to bait/food animals.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilz View Post
    A captive animal has nothing to do with nature anymore. We breed them to be better suited for domestic life and they don't have to hunt for food or anything. Hell they even get taken to a vet if they get sick.

The nature argument was always a bad one for pets. If you cared about nature then drop the snake outside and put a mouse a half a mile away from the snake. If it doesn't find the mouse it can starve to death.
    I still don't see how feeding a live animal to it is inhumane or cruel in anyway.

In captivity it's not

I don't know why you are explaining it either, all I said was the policy is a joke and I don't agree with it.

Live feeding is A-OK. its a fuckin mouse. So you never swat flies? I would hope not because that's unnecessary cruelty. Are you against mowing your yard? Cause that kills hundreds of insects and destroys their homes. I hope youre a vegan too.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmeebs View Post
    Not everyone has the exact same moral compass as you. Especially in regards to bait/food animals.
    It's a law not an opinion NOW can we get back on topic

I mean I'm fine with things eating other things. Its required for survival. I'm fine with people hunting animals to eat them. I also think in an overpopulated society, people have an obligation towards responisbility and should try to have only two kids. But this whole feeding animals to other animals as a hobby or entertainment just seems like enjoyment of violence and death.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.