Seeking Advice and Input on a New Monitor Purchase (Warning: A little long)

Hello,

I’m currently in the market for a new monitor. This new monitor will be used as my primary monitor while my other monitor will be used as a secondary. I haven’t done extensive research yet, but I have started reading around.

Background: My current PC build consists of an i5-3750k overclocked at 4.0ghz, a decent graphics card (which I can’t recall atm). I built the PC a couple years ago. The PC handles Diablo 3 and LoL at max settings just fine. I never checked the FPS for Diablo 3, but I know I get around 90-100 fps for LoL with V-Sync off and the FPS uncapped. The computer is definitely a little aged, so I have been planning a new build which will be composed of a GTX 970, the newest generation of processor, etc. My monitor at the moment is an HPZR2440w IPS Screen. I plan to keep this monitor as my second monitor.

With that being said, I am looking for a new primary monitor. I really enjoy the clarity and color on my HP display, and I have no complaints.

I’m struggling to decide if I want to purchase a TN panel or another IPS panel for my primary screen. I do not play any FPS or Racing games on PC. The only games I would be interested in playing on PC would be Destiny, Evolve, and/or Overwatch. I am primarily interested in Overwatch though – a new age FPS MOBA styled game. I mainly play LoL, RPGs, and other games on my PC. I own a PS4, which I plug into my HP. Purchasing a TN panel for a console shouldn't matter though, because consoles cap their FPS at 60 anyway.

From that simple explanation it seems as though another IPS panel would be a no-brainer; however, I am still stuck debating which one would suit me best. I am interested in the TN for gaming and the smoothness, but I’ve read that the benefits are very minor for games other than FPSs. Also, I read that the TN panels are easier on the eyes; my eyes often tend to get tired which leads to headaches. I love my IPS panel though and appreciate the color and clarity it provides for everyday use. LoL, and etc. looks amazing on it. I’ve never used a 120hz monitor, but to my understanding the clarity is a little worse and the colors tend to be a little more washed out (correct me if I am wrong).

In summary, the monitors I have been looking at are:
    Dell U2415 - IPS
    Benq XL2430T - TN
    Benq XL2720Z - TN
    Asus VS24AH-P - IPS

Other that the ones I've listed, I haven’t done more research into other models. I’m not looking to spend more than $400 USD.

EDIT:I prefer a 24" monitor but am not opposed to a 27" monitor especially if the quality and build is excellent.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advanced.
    Last edited by Damerae; 2015-02-05 at 08:48 PM.

http://techreport.com/news/27614/asu...riable-refresh

27" 120hz ips screen (first of its kind), will be priced 450-500 within a month or two, id hold off and wait for this monitor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Damerae View Post
    I’m struggling to decide if I want to purchase a TN panel or another IPS panel for my primary screen. I do not play any FPS or Racing games on PC. The only games I would be interested in playing on PC would be Destiny, Evolve, and/or Overwatch. I am primarily interested in Overwatch though – a new age FPS MOBA styled game. I mainly play LoL, RPGs, and other games on my PC. I own a PS4, which I plug into my HP. Purchasing a TN panel for a console shouldn't matter though, because consoles cap their FPS at 60 anyway.

From that simple explanation it seems as though another IPS panel would be a no-brainer; however, I am still stuck debating which one would suit me best. I am interested in the TN for gaming and the smoothness, but I’ve read that the benefits are very minor for games other than FPSs. Also, I read that the TN panels are easier on the eyes; my eyes often tend to get tired which leads to headaches. I love my IPS panel though and appreciate the color and clarity it provides for everyday use. LoL, and etc. looks amazing on it. I’ve never used a 120hz monitor, but to my understanding the clarity is a little worse and the colors tend to be a little more washed out (correct me if I am wrong).
    TN's main advantage and generally only now is it's pixel response. It reduces pixel transition motion blur but it really only matters in fast pace FPS. High Hz no longer really an advantage due to AHVA / Sharp IGZO (IPS-type) and MVA panels now have a high Hz panel.

TN panels aren't naturally easier on the eyes. There are several things that affect that.
    High blue light is reportedly one issue with it. This is why BenQ and Viewsonic start including low blue light mode. Makes things more red of course but it does it's job.
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/benq_xl2720z.htm all the way down at low blue light mode to get an idea of how it works.
    The other is pulse width modulation (PWM). PWM is highly dependent on the individual and the amplitude, and cycle speed / Hz rate. The flicker free monitors essentially is lack there of of PWM and then there are hybrid PWM which is what Eizo and Samsung tend to implement. PWM at low brightness is great for color stability on LED platforms due to how they work with not getting enough power.
    Doesn't matter what panel it is. This is all manufacturer implementation.

TN panel being washed out is mostly due to viewing angle limitations. The color shifts is what causes it. That said, any panel can be washed out or if you use HDMI on NVidia graphics card without fixing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post

27" 120hz ips screen (first of its kind), will be priced 450-500 within a month or two, id hold off and wait for this monitor.
    As reported by PCper it's set to $600.

I actually plan to get the MG279Q and do a sort of mini review of it with the tools I have, an i1 DisplayPro and random cameras.
    I won't be able to do more in-depth things. PWM I can sort of get with a camera recording but I won't be able to confirm high Hz or whatever.
    I will not be able to get response time and signal processing lag and I don't plan to get the expensive gear.

That said I'd get this if you're really stuck at $400: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/benq-monitor-gw2765ht
    Last edited by Remilia; 2015-02-05 at 07:10 PM.

Oh crap really? All the coverage at CES had it at 450-500, at 600 bucks it too close to the price of the ROG swift imo.

I was just about to buy a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-635-_-Product

On sale for 750$ with a coupon atm.

Last edited by ayako; 2015-02-05 at 07:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh crap really? All the coverage at CES had it at 450-500, at 600 bucks it too close to the price of the ROG swift imo.
    Yeah. I would wait until release / official announcement for finalized pricing though.

I have a Dell U2412m (IPS) and everytime I have to use a TN panel now the picture looks like complete garbage compared to it. I have not used a 120hz monitor but I play similar games as you as and I can't see the 120hz making that much of a difference over the loss of color and clarity for every day use. I have used the U2415 and it looks even better than the U2412m with the upside of not using PWM dimming. I have not seen the Asus but I looked at it when I was considering buying mine and to me it just looks like they cut too many corners to keep cost down. The Dells are a much higher build quality.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dell and Asus build quality wise they're about the same for the most part. Cheaper ones will obviously be cheaper but the mid to high end are pretty much similar. If you're looking for superb ones you'd be looking at Eizo or NEC monitors.

My gripe with older Asus monitors were the default panel set ups were very mediocre to bad. The newer PG278Q and PB279Q are pretty good. I still don't know what PB stands for.

Thank you for posting this. I am definitely interested! I will keep my eye out. $600 may be a little pricey, but I will wait to see what the final announcement is. It should be released in about 2 months? Also, I am really curious how this new technology will hold up. IPS with 120hz is fairly new, correct?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    TN's main advantage and generally only now is it's pixel response. It reduces pixel transition motion blur but it really only matters in fast pace FPS. High Hz no longer really an advantage due to AHVA / Sharp IGZO (IPS-type) and MVA panels now have a high Hz panel.

TN panels aren't naturally easier on the eyes. There are several things that affect that.
    High blue light is reportedly one issue with it. This is why BenQ and Viewsonic start including low blue light mode. Makes things more red of course but it does it's job.
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/benq_xl2720z.htm all the way down at low blue light mode to get an idea of how it works.
    The other is pulse width modulation (PWM). PWM is highly dependent on the individual and the amplitude, and cycle speed / Hz rate. The flicker free monitors essentially is lack there of of PWM and then there are hybrid PWM which is what Eizo and Samsung tend to implement. PWM at low brightness is great for color stability on LED platforms due to how they work with not getting enough power.
    Doesn't matter what panel it is. This is all manufacturer implementation.

TN panel being washed out is mostly due to viewing angle limitations. The color shifts is what causes it. That said, any panel can be washed out or if you use HDMI on NVidia graphics card without fixing it.

As reported by PCper it's set to $600.

I actually plan to get the MG279Q and do a sort of mini review of it with the tools I have, an i1 DisplayPro and random cameras.
    I won't be able to do more in-depth things. PWM I can sort of get with a camera recording but I won't be able to confirm high Hz or whatever.
    I will not be able to get response time and signal processing lag and I don't plan to get the expensive gear.

That said I'd get this if you're really stuck at $400: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/benq-monitor-gw2765ht
    Thank you for the thorough response. I appreciate it. The BenQ definitely looks attractive. I can see the BenQ monitor you suggested being my backup if the price for the MG279Q is too expensive. I'm just concerned with the quality and state of the technology for that type of monitor. Also, I should have specified I am looking for a 24" monitor, but I am not opposed to purchasing a 27" especially if the monitor is very solid.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deloused View Post
    I have a Dell U2412m (IPS) and everytime I have to use a TN panel now the picture looks like complete garbage compared to it. I have not used a 120hz monitor but I play similar games as you as and I can't see the 120hz making that much of a difference over the loss of color and clarity for every day use. I have used the U2415 and it looks even better than the U2412m with the upside of not using PWM dimming. I have not seen the Asus but I looked at it when I was considering buying mine and to me it just looks like they cut too many corners to keep cost down. The Dells are a much higher build quality.
    Short, simple and to the point. Thank you for the advice and insight. I'm leaning more towards Dell as well. I'm going to check out EIZO and NEC though and see what they are about.

- - - Updated - - -

Dell and Asus build quality wise they're about the same for the most part. Cheaper ones will obviously be cheaper but the mid to high end are pretty much similar. If you're looking for superb ones you'd be looking at Eizo or NEC monitors.

My gripe with older Asus monitors were the default panel set ups were very mediocre to bad. The newer PG278Q and PB279Q are pretty good. I still don't know what PB stands for.
    I haven't looked into the EIZO or NEC monitors yet, but I plan to. Thank you for the suggestion.

Ya, I am definitely looking at the newer aged Asus monitors. I definitely find the ASUS monitor that Fascinate suggested attractive. I will check out the PG278Q and PB279Q as well.

I appreciate the input!

10+ Year Old Account
    PG278Q and PB279Q is way out of your price range.

24" I'd go with Eizo EV2450 or Dell U2414H.

PG278Q and PB279Q is way out of your price range.

24" I'd go with Eizo EV2450 or Dell U2414H.
    Well then! You do have a great point. Sigh! Haha

Thank you for the recommendations! I'm not able to find a place to purchase the Eizo from though.

How come the U2414H over the 2415?

Also, what are you thoughts on the gw2765ht?
    Last edited by Damerae; 2015-02-05 at 09:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, U2414H and U2415 are both good. Main difference is just the dimensions. U2414H is 1920x1080 and U2415 is 1920x1200.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...creen_lcd.html
    It's cheaper in UK and Japan for whatever reason.

GW2765HT - Very good monitor, 2560x1440 resolution, but it lacks some QoL things like USB hub.
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/benq_gw2765ht.htm

EV2450 is essentially a better version of U2414H. EV2455 is the same as a better version of U2415. Increased price obviously. It does come with some fun things that I find useful like ambient light sensor (ALS) and human motion sensor.
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/eizo_ev2450.htm

Thank you for posting this. I am definitely interested! I will keep my eye out. $600 may be a little pricey, but I will wait to see what the final announcement is. It should be released in about 2 months? Also, I am really curious how this new technology will hold up. IPS with 120hz is fairly new, correct?
    Ya it said quarter 1 2015 so it should be out within a couple months. As for IPS 120hz i assume this is the first one because they finally are at a point where they can consistently produce these screens without defect or being able to hit full 120hz on a high enough% of them, now they finally have a financially feasable model asus is going to produce. I cant wait to see it in person, but i think 600 bucks (if true) is a bit much for it.

Well, U2414H and U2415 are both good. Main difference is just the dimensions. U2414H is 1920x1080 and U2415 is 1920x1200.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...creen_lcd.html
    It's cheaper in UK and Japan for whatever reason.

GW2765HT - Very good monitor, 2560x1440 resolution, but it lacks some QoL things like USB hub.
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/benq_gw2765ht.htm

EV2450 is essentially a better version of U2414H. EV2455 is the same as a better version of U2415. Increased price obviously. It does come with some fun things that I find useful like ambient light sensor (ALS) and human motion sensor.
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/eizo_ev2450.htm
    Excellent!

Now my next question would be: I plan to use 2 monitors, if my HP is 1920x1080, but my new monitor is 1920x1200, will this affect performance or the dual-monitor setup? I plan to use the new monitor as my primary and then have the second monitor in a vertical fashion (not horizontal).

I think the GW2765HT has too slow of a refresh rate for me, but I definitely like the EIZO EV2450 or EV2455. It'd only make sense to go with the EIZO if it's better quality and out performs Dell.

As of now, I am convinced of the EIZO EV2455 unless told otherwise that the 1920x1200 will affect the dual monitor setup.

Thank you!

10+ Year Old Account
    No, doesn't affect performance.