Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Oregorger Rolling Pattern Diagram

It can at a casual glance appear that the Oregorger area is a complete maze and his rolls are done completely at random, at least it did to me, but after a bit of a closer look I realised that it's actually a pretty straightforward pattern. Once we got our heads around that in our raid group it helped a lot towards the kill.

Partly out of a desire to help others, and admittedly partly out of boredom, I've made a diagram/map illustrating the way his rolls work for those of you perhaps initially bamboozled as I was.

This image shows a map of his area that I drew expertly in MS Paint. Immediately note that there are a total of 8 different 'crash sites', represented by the stars on the diagram. These crash sites can actually be collected into pairs to simplify it down to 4 crash sites, each made of two adjacent stars.

The reason we can do this is because at either of two adjacent stars the choice of direction Oregorger faces is the same. He either follows the blue arrow, 'going outside (or long)' as we dubbed it, or he follows the red arrow, 'going inside (or short)'. As far as we could tell, at each site he has a 50/50 chance of going either way.

To aid understanding, imagine he consistently chose to 'go short'. That would mean he would constantly follow the trail of red arrows from red star to red star clockwise around the room. Conversely, if he were to consistently 'go long', he would follow the trail of blue arrows from blue star to blue star anti-clockwise around the room.

So how does this help? Well, once you have an understanding of the pattern he can follow, it becomes a lot easier to tell at a glance whether the lane you're currently in is currently safe, and once you see which way the boss turns you can pretty quickly figure out where he's going to end up and whether or not that is going to threaten where you're currently standing.

Just a little bit of something I drew up at 3am, if it helps even one person get a kill I'll consider it worthwhile.
    Who is Chris Metzen? He is supposed to be Turkish. Some say his father was German. Nobody believed he was real. Nobody ever saw him or knew anybody that ever worked directly for him, but to hear Zarhym tell it, anybody could have worked for Metzen. You never knew. That was his power. The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that... poof! He's gone.

Here's a site that we use often when working on strats. http://www.bossblueprint.com/wow
    Hope it helps and saves you some time!

made this earlier:

a lot of people seem to have trouble visualizing where he can go, and as a result they die. Once you figure out the logic behind how he can roll, finding safe spots is relatively simple. here's a quick paint mockup that i did to help:

okay, (1) is the overhead map of the oregorger boss room. geometric, but kind of confusing.

(2) is the 'base unit' of the room, these little music-note looking patterns, there are four of them arranged by 90 degree angles. Once Oregorger slams into a wall, he will ALWAYS stay within one of the music notes for his next roll.

(3) is the room map with the four 'notes' colored different so you can see how they fit together.

(4) and (5) show the logic of his rolls. in a particular 'note', he will only be able to go in two directions - some strats say this by saying he will never 'double back' on himself, which is true to a point. the orange circles are the only places he will EVER impact, that being the corners of the 'square' in the center, and about 10 yards away from these points if he rolls around the outside (the long edge of the note). This means that for him to go from D to A, he MUST roll along the outside. The same goes true for A to B, B to C, and C to D.

now for some practical applications of this logic, looking at (5):

if he is at the Point A, he will NEVER be able to hit you at Point C. the reverse is also true. This also means that if he is at Point B, he will never be able to hit you at Point D, and vice versa.

Leave the crates along the outside for people with movement speed boosts and teleports, they are the most dangerous. to be safe while clearing these, (referring to (6)), for example clear A' when he is at Point B. this is because he is now going to be at least three rolls away from you (B to C along outside, then C to D along outside , then D to A along outside OR B to A, then A to D, then D to A along outside).

Here is the color coded safety chart. If the boss (big black circle) is at this point, the RED corridors are where he is about to roll next. the Yellow corridors are where he could be in two rolls (safe, but be watchful). the Green corridors are where he could be in three rolls (so you're pretty damn safe for a bit).

10+ Year Old Account
    Ooh, nice thread. Gonna have to link this to my guild for the people who are having issues with seeing the pattern.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleid View Post
    Here is how to do Oregorger: http://youtu.be/DDGEPPf6qAE
    Wish this was reddit and I could vote this comment to the top, because holy shit that makes the #yolo strat we used seem incredibly easy.

15+ Year Old Account
    Either they hotfixed it, or I'm missing something.

We tried this tonight, and Oregorger refused to eat two pieces of ore on the same path. On the final hallway, for example, he only ate one and kept rolling. This ruins the whole plan.

Nevermind the fact that 3/10 crates aren't anywhere near the spots the video says they are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tragedies View Post
    Here is another one.

http://i.imgur.com/ThgpW3C.jpg
    thanks, great video.
    Warrior, getting my face smashed in because I love it

"The Perfect Raid Design Drawn by me .

Your diagram (plus all the others who posted here) really helped a lot- I was inspired to try and make an animated version to explain the movement here: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...nt-for-healers

My main raid group hasn't killed him yet but hopefully soon :P

I've killed this boss 4 times on normal so far and 3 times on heroic, both with my guild and various friends and their raid groups I occasionally to help out.

Best way I recommend doing this encounter is splitting raid into 4 groups (or perhaps 3, depending on number of healers in raid) and having each group have a dedicated healer plus some of the dps, split evenly as possible. Have each group goto a corner of the room and kill all boxes from their start position to the next corner going counterclockwise around the room. Tanks can kill center crates and shouldn't be considered part of a group, they don't need heals during this, or if for some reason they do, just move in range of one of the many groups around the room for a second to get topped off.

By splitting the raid up, this phase ends incredibly fast because all boxes are murdered very quickly, he barely rolls a couple of times before he is back into phase one.

Don't worry about trying to dodge him or avoid getting hit, he will not 1-shot you if you are full health even on heroic. Instead of devoting time and energy into trying to avoid getting hit, focus on killing the crates as fast as you can and accepting getting hit as an inevitability and just pop personal CDs before he runs over you to minimize damage. If your group kills boxes quickly enough, he'll only go down any given path once so you don't ever have to worry about getthing hit twice and there is no other point in the fight where personal defensives are useful anyway.

Two of those normal groups I killed the boss with had been wiping for hours across 2 raid days trying to kill this guy, then one shot it after implementing this strategy.

In Mythic, I believe the rules change, but that isn't until next week so will probably have to alter strat for that. But if normal and heroic are all you're aiming for in the near future, this strat will get the boss down for you. If you're aiming at mythic soon, well, honesty you shouldn't be struggling on this boss in the first place.
    I like ponies and I really don't care what you have to say about that.

Once you get the pattern down somewhat, it becomes extremely easy to dodge. Using the OP as an example, if you are near the top left star, just stand one block's distance to the west, then if the boss rolls onto either of the two stars to the east, just go up the corridor to the north and come back once he's gone.
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

100% this, simplified the fight immensely but you do need to kill boxes and move at a very quick pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Attain View Post
    Here's a site that we use often when working on strats. http://www.bossblueprint.com/wow
    Hope it helps and saves you some time!
    Oh my gosh I love this so much! Thank you for sharing this tool!

wow

amaze
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Great post, thanks for that. I'll be sure to use it in future raids.

Quote Originally Posted by Dasani View Post
    Best way I recommend doing this encounter is splitting raid into 4 groups (or perhaps 3, depending on number of healers in raid) and having each group have a dedicated healer plus some of the dps, split evenly as possible.
    My thanks to Dasani. We tried moving as a single group on Thursday and it wasn't working for us. We implemented the split strategy on Sunday and had no problems killing the boss. The key is to have the groups hang out near the collision spots. If Oregorger is coming your way, sidestep the collision and then move right behind him before he recovers.

10+ Year Old Account
    LOL wtf? how to do oregorger. Stand behind him.

Deleted
    The way we did it was just to have the main tank marked. Everyone run behind the tank in the middle, with ranged sniping the boxes in the long corridors on the sides (which are honestly the only areas where you're even close to likely to get hit). Staying in the middle lanes makes it incredibly easy to dodge, everyone being somewhat clumped makes it easy for healers to keep everyone up and there's honestly no rush. The AOE gets stronger over time, but it can be healed through pretty easily. Melee should probably generally not go into the sidelanes at all unless you're perfectly sure he's not about to roll in there, it takes too long to run out from the middle of those if he stops at the entrance.

Here is how to do Oregorger: youtube link
    Awesome vid thanks for sharing!