Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    They couldn't spring for bike cops?
    How are you going to bring in the drunk dude you busted for drunk and disorderly? Ask him to ride pillion?

They could do what they do in New York... that is, designate emergency vehicle lanes and routes, thus reducing the need for ambulances to drive on the sidewalk.
    And then everyone uses those lanes because there are way more people on the road than there are cops to issue citations for violating traffic rules. The only reason HOV lanes in major American cities even work is because the staties get a boner every time they get to issue someone a citation.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    A person's life is more important than people being too lazy to step to the side for a moment.
    And is driving through pedestrians not just as, or more dangerous? Poorly planned roads are not an excuse to put pedestrians at risk, I don't think. I'd like to see someone try to defend their argument after running someone over. "Well, I was really late for work..."

Just don't drive on the fucking sidewalk. It's as basic as it gets. If the actions of these people deter senseless or lazy drivers from potentially killing people because they're "late from work" or because they "live just up the street," then more power to them.

I'm so glad I live in the first world where I don't have to worry about a god damn Landrover running me down as I walk to the convenience store. Sometimes other countries seem like a whole other world...
    Last edited by MonsieuRoberts; 2015-02-06 at 05:43 AM.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    In my whole life i've seen someone driving on a sidewalk only 4 times. Two of them was ambulance, 1 was police car driving to a shop with alarm ringing (honestly, there was no other way to get to this shop, literally closest park spot is like 200 meters away) and 1 time it was some asshole who got his car kicked by an angry pedestrian. It's not as common as these video may you think it is
    And yet i've watched a bunch of their videos, and in said videos it seems pretty damn common. At times theres 2-3+ cars at one time attempting to drive down the sidewalk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    How are you going to bring in the drunk dude you busted for drunk and disorderly? Ask him to ride pillion?
    Well then you can call a squad car in if they're indeed resisting arrest and the like.

But writing traffic tickets and telling people to get the hell of the sidewalks doesn't require an SUV.

And then everyone uses those lanes because there are way more people on the road than there are cops to issue citations for violating traffic rules. The only reason HOV lanes in major American cities even work is because the staties get a boner every time they get to issue someone a citation.
    Well, see, there you go. Priorities work out.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    They couldn't spring for bike cops?
    There are, usually near the center. Not at the fringes.

They could do what they do in New York... that is, designate emergency vehicle lanes and routes, thus reducing the need for ambulances to drive on the sidewalk.
    There isn't enough space to designate such lanes. It's hard to explain the mechanics of it, but basically the further in you get, the more cars there are per square meter of road. Because of the numerous erratic turns, some turns are just very hard to make either due to the mechanics of said turn (very, very sharp turn) or a simple lack of visibility or pedestrians or what not. This causes stalling. Which backs up. And then cars can't make turns because there are cars blocking their way. And it piles on in a fairly regular occurrence. This solution is not a solution, it's an absolutely incompatible notion.

They could also attempt to do what they did in London... that is, add toll roads at the center of the city and increase public transportation options to deincentivize people driving everywhere.
    Very, very few people drive to the very center. Parking is highly limited, and the congestion bad. Most people who go to the very center without designated parking use the metro.

I'm not saying ambulances shouldn't get there in emergencies, but barreling up on the sidewalks does put people at risk. And at any rate, it doesn't appear as if ambulances are the only perpetrators of sidewalk driving.
    I never said they weren't. And they do not barrel down sidewalks. They move fairly slowly, keeping their siren on and moving back onto the road if there is an opening.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MonsieuRoberts View Post
    And is driving through pedestrians not just as, or more dangerous? Poorly planned roads are not an excuse to put pedestrians at risk, I don't think. I'd like to see someone try to defend their argument after running someone over. "Well, I was really late for work..."
    I think you should pay more attention, then rethink this statement.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisberb View Post
    And yet i've watched a bunch of their videos, and in said videos it seems pretty damn common. At times theres 2-3+ cars at one time attempting to drive down the sidewalk.
    Do you know what "cherry picking" means?

Well then you can call a squad car in if they're indeed resisting arrest and the like.
    Shit, we can bring back the paddy wagons! Hell yes!

Well, see, there you go. Priorities work out.
    wut? No, I just showed you how the concept of having a special lane devoted to emergency vehicles only doesn't work.
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are, usually near the center. Not at the fringes.

There isn't enough space to designate such lanes. It's hard to explain the mechanics of it, but basically the further in you get, the more cars there are per square meter of road. Because of the numerous erratic turns, some turns are just very hard to make either due to the mechanics of said turn (very, very sharp turn) or a simple lack of visibility or pedestrians or what not. This causes stalling. Which backs up. And then cars can't make turns because there are cars blocking their way. And it piles on in a fairly regular occurrence. This solution is not a solution, it's an absolutely incompatible notion.

Very, very few people drive to the very center. Parking is highly limited, and the congestion bad. Most people who go to the very center without designated parking use the metro.
    So then it's a case of "well no one really drives; there's too much traffic?"

Something obviously isn't working.

- - - Updated - - -

wut? No, I just showed you how the concept of having a special lane devoted to emergency vehicles only doesn't work.
    You said they work in major cities because authorities like handing out traffic citations.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    What, to save a life let's put others at risk?

Also...are there no functional transit systems in Moscow? I've seen a few videos where there are trollies, but then there are cars that park on their lanes...Plenty of populated cities have different ways for people to get from A to B without the need of their own car; Ether it's by bus, by train, by cab or walking or even pedestrian bridges. You've seen and heard of plenty of people in Toronto, in New York, in Japan, in Hong Kong who take a subway or walk to their destination or hail a cab or whatever. Does none of this exist in a suitable manner in Moscow?
    Last edited by MonsieuRoberts; 2015-02-06 at 05:52 AM.
    [/url]

10+ Year Old Account
    No? Did you not read what she wrote? The folks going to the very center of the city typically don't drive. But there are many, many people going to the city center (but not the very center) who do drive - way more people than the roads are designed to be able to handle.

10+ Year Old Account

The fact that there is traffic, and that it clears out daily and the roads are fairly fine during the evening and night, is pretty clear evidence that there are people who drive.

As for something not working, Moscow is finally running trests on allowing right turns on red in certain intersections. Since no right turns on reds is one of the most significant causes of congestion, this has some significant prospects in relieving some of the problems.

10+ Year Old Account
    You said they work in major cities because authorities like handing out traffic citations.
    Yes, and the corollary to this is they DON'T work when those authorities aren't present to hand out citations. Like, say... when they're busy doing something else, which tends to happen, especially when you only have a few troopers to cover a large area (as mentioned in previous posts in this thread, the Moscow police force is stretched thin due to the size of the city.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsieuRoberts View Post
    What, to save a life let's put others at risk?
    You went off on a tirade about me advocating using sidewalks to get to work on time. Which is not a point contained anywhere in any of my statements.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Police horses? Police bikes? Police Segways?

Or perhaps just a few of these:
    Moscow is a pretty massive city, and the outer parts are usually fine except for a few bad zones here and there. They do use bikes and horses in the center, thoughl

10+ Year Old Account
    Moscow is a pretty massive city, and the outer parts are usually fine except for a few bad zones here and there. They do use bikes and horses in the center, thoughl
    This is the next, most logical step:

Deleted
    I admire their efforts but it seems a bit unnecessary and almost as if they do it just for show. If they wanted to reduce the number of people driving on sidewalks then there's more efficient ways to do that. Placing large rocks in the middle of the sidewalk would be one way.

10+ Year Old Account
    You went off on a tirade about me advocating using sidewalks to get to work on time. Which is not a point contained anywhere in any of my statements.
    Oop, I guess I did. You were talking about emergency vehicles. Sorry!

...Not that I think emergency vehicles should be making common use of sidewalks, either.
    [/url]

10+ Year Old Account
    This is the next, most logical step:
    A grizzly bear can run up to 35 miles per hour. Even reduce that by 10 mph, and it'd still fit well in most streets in central Moscow

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Buljo View Post
    I admire their efforts but it seems a bit unnecessary and almost as if they do it just for show. If they wanted to reduce the number of people driving on sidewalks then there's more efficient ways to do that. Placing large rocks in the middle of the sidewalk would be one way.
    Seems like that'd just inconvenience pedestrians and they'd get shoved to the side anyway. Of course these guys are doing it for show; why else would they be recording it?

- - - Updated - - -
    I'm absolutely aghast. How could you disagree with his statement?

10+ Year Old Account
    A grizzly bear can run up to 35 miles per hour. Even reduce that by 10 mph, and it'd still fit well in most streets in central Moscow
    They're good for detecting spies and amphibious, too!

Deleted
    Seems like that'd just inconvenience pedestrians and they'd get shoved to the side anyway. Of course these guys are doing it for show; why else would they be recording it?
    It's a working system in most parts of the world. And I mean boulders, like a 500kg piece, one at the "entrance" and one at the "exit".