Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post

He can't find one because he's underpaying. Welders are making upwards of $50 in the old fields.
    A welder is not a dry wall hanger. One is a low-medium skill job and one is a high skill job.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisberb View Post
    Unless of course, you know, the top 20% is making close to 80% of the income?
    They get 99% of the income, so if they are paying only 80% of the taxes, yeah thats unfair to the people who make 1% of the income. Conservatives dont understand proportions. Just like their silly argument about minimum wage being 2.90 30 years ago.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Nice story, just one minor problem with it:

$2.90/hr in 1979 = $9.46/hr in 2014.

He was earning almost what the newly proposed minimum wage is back then, in real terms. Far more than the current $7.25/hr. This information took me 20 seconds to find out by punching "inflation calculator US" into google.

http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

A fucking hypocrite he is, as most conservatives are. Thank goodness europe and their "big government" aren't ahead of the us in Every single area. OH WAIT THEY ARE, who would of known??? but fuck statistics lets go back to the good ol days before the minimum wage, ya know when over half of the population lived in extreme poverty, but hey its ok if you're starving to death, as long as you arent taking a "handout" paid by the "job creators"

Does that mean they also get 80% of their demands met? And here's the part where you tell me "no" even though that's how it must necessarily play out in the political arena.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not economist, but would offering tax breaks to businesses that give wages above minimum wage work? The higher the wages the higher the tax break.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Is a welder employed by a dry wall hanger still a welder?
    He would be a welder by trade employed as a drywall hanger. 40 bucks an hour for dry wall hanging is amazing.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadiru View Post
    Does that mean they also get 80% of their demands met? And here's the part where you tell me "no" even though that's how it must necessarily play out in the political arena.
    Not sure what you mean by demands? Like, 80% of the votes or something?

10+ Year Old Account
    Or close tax loopholes. But yes, taxes are at historic lows, not just for the top quintile, but for everybody in the country. It's daft to construct a tax program where the top 20% of the country pays 80% of the taxes, and not expect the top 20% to get their dick sucked over everybody else in the country.
    Yeah but the wealthy will always pay the most taxes, because the wealthy have the most money and taxes are percentages, not flat rates. Unless you're arguing for income and wealth caps.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    A welder is not a dry wall hanger. One is a low-medium skill job and one is a high skill job.
    What are you on about? The guy quoted was complaining about not being able to find a welder at below-market wages.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i like Mike Rowe's opinion on a lot of things, but I disagree with him on this. I dont think he factors inflation on what he made when he worked min and what people make working now. If he wants people to be able to live, and everything Ive ever read says that he does, he should be ok with a rise to about 10 an hour.
    It's almost like we should just listen to the experts on a given subject, or something.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Not sure what you mean by demands? Like, 80% of the votes or something?
    No, I mean demands. "I want X, Y, and Z, do it or I bankroll your opponent."

Here's a more tricky question: How do you get politicians to see people from the bottom 80% of citizens, as citizens?

10+ Year Old Account
    Or in the USA, it's close from the far side of it.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind

Hey can someone in australia or europe tell me about the doomsday they are in, tell me about how the opressive minimum wage has killed your incentive to work and no businesses are hiring, and how their unemployment must be abyssmalll according to proffessional mike rowe who got his PHD in idionomics from fucktard university.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Yeah but the wealthy will always pay the most taxes, because the wealthy have the most money and taxes are percentages, not flat rates. Unless you're arguing for income and wealth caps.
    No, I'm arguing for an increase on taxes across the board. Everybody getting pinged will make it easier to swallow, because the petty people will think "well, I'm not losing as much as Him." It will cause a wide growth in revenues because you're adding tens of millions of new sources, and frankly it will help reorganize politicians towards the mean, instead of the upper echelons.

why are people mentioning $10/hour. the group and his response to that group is because of them demanding $20/hour, more then double the inflation rate

No, I mean demands. "I want X, Y, and Z, do it or I bankroll your opponent."

Here's a more tricky question: How do you get politicians to see people from the bottom 80% of citizens, as citizens?
    Lol you don't. The bluff has been called. There are no words left to be said.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    why are people mentioning $10/hour. the group and his response to that group is because of them demanding $20/hour, more then double the inflation rate
    Greater than inflation, but in line with the growth in productivity. All the gains from new technology shouldn't only go to the top.

australia is 17$ an hour, please, explain to me how dire they are in....go ahead, i bet they must be in an abysmal situation right?

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Greater than inflation, but in line with the growth in productivity. All the gains from new technology shouldn't only go to the top.
    what people really think $20 an hour min wage is even slightly reasonable? holy fuck. what a joke. some people need to get off their asses ffs

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    Sweden is 20$ an hour, please, explain to me how dire they are in....go ahead, i bet they must be in an abysmal situation right?
    Not quite. It's more like $15 once you account for purchasing power.

10+ Year Old Account
    that was just demeaned so the democrats could say "see the republicans don't want to raise the minimum wage"
    you can't make this shit up
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Third-wave feminism or Choice feminism is actually extremely egalitarian
    I hate America
    I don't read/watch any of these but to rank them:Actual news agency (mostly factual):CNN MSNBC NPR