Page 1 of 2
LastLast

" Is it yours? " Appropriate or not?

So today at work one of our employees asked to leave early to take his girlfriend to the free clinic to get her a pregnancy test. He was also asked "Is it yours?" by another employee to which the employee laughed and said yes.

Our only female employee was shocked that we would ever ask " is it yours?" to a either party of the relationship. It just so happens that other employees, men to be exact, were getting back from their work day and when she asked if they gave their wife or girlfriend the same question they all replied yes they have or yes they would. Again, our only female employee was in disbelief that the men here felt this way.

Personally, I believe ideally this question should not have to be asked, and in my past relationships, when put in the same position, I would not ask is if it was mine. So I do not think it's appropriate. Why be in a relationship with someone if you can't trust them?

So, do you think it is appropriate to ask "Is it mine?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sterling228 View Post
    So today at work one of our employees asked to leave early to take his girlfriend to the free clinic to get her a pregnancy test. He was also asked "Is it yours?" by another employee to which the employee laughed and said yes.

Our only female employee was shocked that we would ever ask " is it yours?" to a either party of the relationship. It just so happens that other employees, men to be exact, were getting back from their work day and when she asked if they gave their wife or girlfriend the same question they all replied yes they have or yes they would. Again, our only female employee was in disbelief that the men here felt this way.

Personally, I believe ideally this question should not have to be asked, and in my past relationships, when put in the same position, I would not ask is if it was mine. So I do not think it's appropriate. Why be in a relationship with someone if you can't trust them?

So, do you think it is appropriate to ask "Is it mine?"
    Of course not. But not all jokes are appropriate. I would assume it was asked in jest, rather than it being a serious question.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Emphatically it is not any of their business aside from that it is mildly insulting so yes - inappropriate.

Deleted
    Depends, if a friend said it then I would take it as a joke, if anyone else said it then I would take it as an insult.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless the kid comes out looking like an entirely different ethnicity than you, yeah its pretty rude in my opinion to imply she might have been cheating.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah people truly do get offended by everything. I don't see an issue here, guys ask each other much worse things. I don't think I know a single guy with kids who HASNT been asked this question in a joking manor...

Seems like a typical joke people say....

Most likely it was asked as a joke. No reason to get bent out of shape over it. Even if she was cheating he would likely not know about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Of course not. But not all jokes are appropriate. I would assume it was asked in jest, rather than it being a serious question.
    It was absolutely said as a joke. But we do seem to have people here, at this place of business, that believe it is a necessary question.

Quote Originally Posted by Sterling228 View Post
    Our only female employee was shocked that we would ever ask " is it yours?" to a either party of the relationship.
    I have asked a pregnant woman "is it yours?". She thought it was funny.

Deleted
    I don't understand why this female employee was offended. Is it because she thinks it's an insinuation that all women should be second guessed as to whether they're sleeping around? Because if so that's stupid. It has nothing to do with her and is not in any way directed as a generalisation of women.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Simulatio View Post
    I have asked a pregnant woman "is it yours?". She thought it was funny.
    Well, that's a good joke, though. Right up until you get the "no, it was a donor egg".

Women sometimes don't find things funny that men do, most things really.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Perfectly fine as a joke and serious question.

Deleted
    if a friend said it in a light hearted way, then there is no big deal they are just ribbing you a little.
    if someone you dont know said it, then you tell them it's none of their business.

People are waaaaay to sensitive.

Deleted
    It's a good question to ask.

Maybe she was joking? (Yes, I'm aware I wrote 'she'.)

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    A guy in my apartment building had his GF living with him when he moved in, she was very preggers with 'his child'... blood test after it was born (which he asked for) proved it wasn't his... girlfriend and baby got the boot (for which I totally do not blame him... she played him bigtime).

So... the question was valid.

I see nothing offensive about it, although the dude might want to make sure to check though.

Deleted
    Paternity tests should be mandatory.