How to detect emotional abuse IRL?

Hi guys, I'm coming to you tonight (or this morning) asking you for a bit help on an issue that I've only recently become aware of existing - emotional abuse. I didn't know this was a thing until recently as I've never experienced it. However as I've read around the subject online I'd love to know any nifty tips for how to detect emotional abuse? Could it be happening to me unawares? Have I emotionally abused someone in the past? These are questions that are eating away at me.

Share your stories if you have any personal experience.

Deleted
    Hello, Shinra.

Bullying is a form of emotional abuse. have you bullied anyone in your past?

I think emotional abuse is one of those things that you know it when you experience it. If you're unsure, my guess it isn't emotional abuse. Are they joking around or serious? Is this someone with a lot of control over your life? Spouse, boss?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Found a pic of shinra1: http://todaymade.com/blog/wp-content...troll-face.png

Seriously though, this site is pretty useful for video game info and stuff, how many trolls is too many trolls at this point?

10+ Year Old Account
    emotional abuse is when someone with whom you are in a relationship (ie: someone who is hard to walk away from, like a spouse, parent, sibling, or child - or in a professional situation, a customer whom you cannot dismiss, or a coworker, or boss) uses words to cause harm by belittling you, minimizing and ignoring your successes, maximizing and ragging on your failures, using words to wear you down, telling you that you're worthless and broken and helpless, and often insisting that their words are "spoken in love". Usually upon your protests, uses their relationship with you make you back down - with a dollop of guilt because HOW DARE YOU cause them SUCH DISTRESS.

Many people are in emotionally abusive relationships without even knowing it, often because they simply believe that's the way things are, or the way they have to be.

Interestingly, many former Christians (fundies) describe their relationship with God being very emotionally abusive: After all, God "loves" you, but you must "fear" him because you're "worthless" and "all your good acts mean nothing". That's not to say that's true of all Christians, but I've read many accounts of emotional abuse where part of getting away from an abusive person also meant realizing that their relationship with God was JUST as unhealthy. (That isn't a promotion of atheism - many people who get out go back when they are ready, but they refine their relationship with God so it is NOT an abusive one!)

Stood in the Fire ImEveryCliche's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    oh another Shinra thread.....here we go

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I might be emotionally abused if I read this threat... therefore, I will not.