Page 1 of 19
... LastLast

Why do we teach children it's okay to lose?

I've never understood why children are taught that it's okay to lose as long as you tried your best. It is not okay to lose. If you tried your best and came up short, you're a loser. That's literally the definition.

I'll play games of league and freaking rage on my team when we're losing. At that point I would literally rather be doing anything else but playing that game because there is no part of losing that I enjoy, or appreciate, or want to be part of. So why exactly do we teach people that it's okay to be a loser? And what's the point of having a good attitude about it? What exactly do you gain from not caring about the outcome of something you're supposedly trying to win at?

10+ Year Old Account
    Failure is a part of life. EVeryone fials at something at some point in life, and its important to know how to deal with that. Thats why instead of raging like a child, we're being taught to lose graciously, but put even more effort into doing better next time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimsumlol View Post
    I've never understood why children are taught that it's okay to lose as long as you tried your best. It is not okay to lose. If you tried your best and came up short, you're a loser. That's literally the definition.
    Failure is a part of life. It doesn't make you a loser. Learning to cope with failure and getting better is a strength.

It's more about understanding that losing at something is inevitable and it's more important to make sure you are always improving.

I'll play games of league and freaking rage on my team when we're losing
    also this line alone made me giggle. typical LoL mindset.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because you aren't always going to win.

And if you're not taught it's okay, you flip out like a petulant little five year old throwing a temper tauntrum when you do lose.

Like you do, apparently.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

You're always going to eventually lose. Better learn to be a good loser.

Teaching your kid to love winning is fine though.

Also by raging you are not improving your chances of success. Not saying that rage is a useless act, but it causes you to lose focus and when your losing that's precisely when you need the most focus. You could inadvertently cause yourself to lose just because you got mad that you were losing.
    "And what's the real lesson? Don't leave food in the fridge."
    -Spike Spiegel

Being competitive is fine an all. But your outlook is insanely childish if you think losing a game of league gratifies your needless rage
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    What? Was funny as hell, some random immediately referring to her as "goddess"
    Guess I'm some random

I'll play games of league and freaking rage on my team when we're losing. At that point I would literally rather be doing anything else but playing that game because there is no part of losing that I enjoy, or appreciate, or want to be part of. So why exactly do we teach people that it's okay to be a loser? And what's the point of having a good attitude about it? What exactly do you gain from not caring about the outcome of something you're supposedly trying to win at?
    Your attitude is an unhealthy one, and you're upset other people don't share it?

OP. The fact you "Rage" at your team mates tells me you're probably the biggest loser on the team at that given time.

If you never fail you're not challenging yourself.

"You can try the best you can. You can try the best you can. The best you can is good enough."

As for the rest of your post. Oh, you're that guy. What game are we playing today?

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

GET ON MY LEVEL MANLETS!!!

lol.

Relax, it's just a game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

At that point I would literally rather be doing anything else but playing that game because there is no part of losing that I enjoy, or appreciate, or want to be part of... And what's the point of having a good attitude about it? What exactly do you gain from not caring about the outcome of something you're supposedly trying to win at?
    You should try running as a sport sometime. Someone's always faster than you. You try, you lay out everything you have, and someone's just plain faster. My last marathon, I collapsed at the finish line and threw up. Nothing left in the tank. The winner beat me by 20 minutes. And this was a slow field at a minor, irrelevant race that no one really cares about.

Because every single person in that field has experienced being beaten badly, we're all good sports. I line up in the front and chat with a guy that I know will kick my ass. I high five the guy who comes in 5 minutes after me and is very happy with his time. I cheer for the people that are an hour behind me.

Maybe if you tried shit that was actually hard, you'd appreciate effort and not just be obsessed with outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Christonya View Post
    OP. The fact you "Rage" at your team mates tells me you're probably the biggest loser on the team at that given time.
    Teams need a little rage sometimes, but it's best when it comes from the guy who screwed up, directed at himself.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

because you will lose more often then you win the trick is to teach kids that it's acceptable to lose but that they shouldn't just expect to lose and that they should still try.

Quote Originally Posted by Dendrek View Post
    Your attitude is an unhealthy one, and you're upset other people don't share it?
    That's an opinion. I like my attitude. I like that I actually care about what I'm doing, even if it's something as stupid as a video game. I am not, nor will I ever be the guy who's just like "lol yolo I don't care it's a just a game." Fuck. That.

What is the point of playing if you're not going to win? Winning is the funnest and most important part about any sort of competition. And we teach kids now that we will just hand them participation trophies for sucking at a sport? Right, because in the real world, people will just give you things because you tried. The kids are being set up for failure.

10+ Year Old Account
    As others have said, because everyone will lose in something sooner or later, and if people aren't taught how to deal with it you will end with full grown adults raging like childs in video games or getting drunk until losing consciousness because they are too weak and don't know how to deal with failure and use it to become stronger.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's an opinion. I like my attitude. I like that I actually care about what I'm doing, even if it's something as stupid as a video game. I am not, nor will I ever be the guy who's just like "lol yolo I don't care it's a just a game." Fuck. That.

What is the point of playing if you're not going to win? Winning is the funnest and most important part about any sort of competition. And we teach kids now that we will just hand them participation trophies for sucking at a sport? Right, because in the real world, people will just give you things because you tried. The kids are being set up for failure.
    I dont think you get it. People play to win, and those who don't are rather silly in a competitive environment, but we also must know how to lose. We inevitably lose at something in our lives, and acting like a toddler tends to not make you look good to other people / employers / fans.

If you dont know how to lose with grace, you'll never actually mature and most likely encounter a lot of problems later in life.

Because they can't always win. It's not teaching them that "losing is ok" it's teaching them HOW to lose when it inevitably happens and still be ok to carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Being competitive is fine an all. But your outlook is insanely childish if you think losing a game of league gratifies your needless rage
    This
    Last edited by Bathory; 2015-02-06 at 04:13 AM.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8